Quantcast

12mm vs quick release question

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Can someone explain how the rear hub sizing works? I want to know about options for spacing and axles as well as compatibility. . . As in can I just throw a hub with a 12mm axle on my frame that currently runs a QR wheel? Is it worth doing? My rear triangle on the AC2 can be a little flexy in rough corners.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
QR = 10mm axle

12mm thru axles require special frames and hubs, so no, you can't throw a 12mm thru axle onto a frame that is designed for 10mm axles.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
dexterq20 said:
QR = 10mm axle

12mm thru axles require special frames and hubs, so no, you can't throw a 12mm thru axle onto a frame that is designed for 10mm axles.
Yeh, you can, you just need a 12mm to 10mm axle like this one from azonic. I have also seen one that allows you to put a QR skewer through the middle but can't remeber where i saw it.

-Matt

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Well, there are two separate issues, one being the axle diameter and the other being the hub spacing (ie, the width of your frame where the hub fits). Most QR style rear ends are designed for a 10mm diameter and 135mm spacing, whereas most rear ends built for thru axle hubs are wider than 135. (150mm at least.) So yeah you can get one of those azonic axles and run bolts on your 12 mm thru axle hub but only if the hub spacing is correct.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Well, mine isn't. It's 12x 135.
Anywhoo you could just buy a standard 12mm axle and file it down to fit. This issue comes up every month or so.

Nov 27, 2004
brooklyn new york
skatetokil said:
Can someone explain how the rear hub sizing works? I want to know about options for spacing and axles as well as compatibility. . . As in can I just throw a hub with a 12mm axle on my frame that currently runs a QR wheel? Is it worth doing? My rear triangle on the AC2 can be a little flexy in rough corners.
Running a thru axle on a bike that has been designed for quick release will stiffen it up considerably.
But you need an axle that is designed for the 10mm step down.
NYCFreeride makes a 7075-T6 black anodized 12mm X 135mm with a 10mm step down axle for $35.00.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
For my M1, I took a Deore hub and removed the QR axle, then installed a standard, 10mm bolt on axle. Took five minutes, and it feels like it makes the rear end stiffer on my M1. I'm not really convinced that the axle alone is making it stiffer, because that wheel has a 521 (old Mavic #) on it, and the QR wheel I'm comparing it to has a 729 (new Mavic #). Both hubs are Deore. I've been thinking the 521, because it is smaller with a more vertical profile, will flex a lot more than the 729, which looks like it should be much stiffer in regards to horizontal forces, like those in corners. If the 729 doesn't flex, it would just send all the forces directly into the M1, which doesn't exactly have the beefiest rear end in the world. The rear end certainly feels noodle-like with the Qr wheel, yet with the 521 it feels really solid. I've seen many a seatstay on the rear triangle snap, so I'm thinking this is the case. For your AC, you could try putting a standard axle, or buy some other product that everyone else knows all about and that I will never even think about. For me, I'm gonna stick with the 729 wheel for training and the 521 for racing. Good luck.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Just get a bolt-on 10mm hub, there are plenty on the market. Or convert like bikenweed did. If you are not comfortable swapping the axle have a shop do it for a few bucks. I'm running Deemax which are 10mm bolt-on and it is very, very solid.