Quantcast

135X10 Hayes/IS disc hub that will grip hard?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Do I have any other good option for a 135X10 Hayes/IS disc hub that will grip hard in horizontal droputs('02 Scream) than an old-style XT disc hub converted to solid thru-axle & tracknuts? I've heard that the Hadley and the King 10mm bolt-ons aren't as big and grippy as the 15mm tracknuts that a converted XT has...of course, they are superior in bad weather and in other areas of performance. I just don't want to drop the coin on a Hadley or King, get the wheelset all built up and then have slippage issues.

Here's my "wanted" post on this topic-
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1410923#post1410923

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I have a woodman bolt-on and haven't any trouble with it slipping.
If you have the room, the azonic outlaw with the bolt-on axle has a 12mm axle and massive nuts.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ah, i have the hadley 10mm axle Ti bolts. thats not going ANYWHERE. i'll post my pics up later.
used it on a tandem for a while. never moved

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
get either the hadly or the king. you will be happy with either one. they are about the same price i think too. both are spendy, but both are sick hubs. you will never look back if you get one of those.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
The problem is that the '02 Scream has adjustable horizontal dropouts that only fit a 10mm axle. I'd go with the Hadley, probably, if I was convinced that it wouldn't slip. I can get a converted XT disc for $60. Not the overall greatest hub, though, given my penchant for riding through hub-depth streams.

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
llkoolkeg said:
The problem is that the '02 Scream has adjustable horizontal dropouts that only fit a 10mm axle. I'd go with the Hadley, probably, if I was convinced that it wouldn't slip. I can get a converted XT disc for $60. Not the overall greatest hub, though, given my penchant for riding through hub-depth streams.
The Hadley works well in horizontal dropouts. Plus, it has the flexibility to use a 12, 15, or 17 mm axle just by changing the endcaps.

In addition to the stock Hadley alum axle, we make a 10 mm steel axle for it. When you tighten that up, it will be the last part on your bike to move!

Spam Alert: Throw in the fact theat the Hadley works well with the floater, and you can't go wrong...

braketherapy@therapycomponents.com