Quantcast

14mm disc hubs?

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
So I have this night train complete and the eastern rear hub skips a whole bunch. I pulled off the driver and basically the spring just doesn't hold all the pawls out far enough for reliable engagement, and the teeth on the inside of the hub body also look a bit rounded off from skipping. I emailed eastern and they said they don't have any wheels right now, but they could send me some new pawls and spring. Frankly, im not sure I want to deal with another eastern hub skipping and whatnot especially since pretty much everyone I've asked told me they suck. I know KHE makes their freecoaster with 135mm spacing and disc mount. Does anyone know of any other 14x135 hubs with disc mount that aren't a freecoaster? this sh1t is driving me insane..

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Definitely at least get the new pawls and spring. That should fix your problem, or at least make it skip less. At least until you can get your hands on a replacement hub.

TaRd

Chimp
Aug 21, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I ran into the same issue with my nighttrain complete. I ended up going the route of Azonic Outlaws and a adapter nut or washer that functions similar to how the nut does.

I was going to build a wheelset and I looked at the KHE as a hub option but I was a little put off by the maintenance they require to keep them working properly. I really wish eastern would have used something a bit more standard as far as axel size goes, 14mm is overkill unless you have a peg on it imho

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Thanks guys. Im probably going to just get the new pawls and spring for now and save up for a profile since i've always wanted one anyhow. just wondering, how does the dmr hub compare to the eastern in terms of quality?

E86

Chimp
Jul 6, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
Sorry to break into your thread, but i just purchased a Nighttrain complete and was wondering if yours had the Argyle 318? If so does it make a clicking noise from the fork when you land? thanks for any help. I really like it otherwise.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Sorry to break into your thread, but i just purchased a Nighttrain complete and was wondering if yours had the Argyle 318? If so does it make a clicking noise from the fork when you land? thanks for any help. I really like it otherwise.
At about halfway through the travel mine has a clicking as well but it still feels plush and i ride it stiff anyhow. i wish it came with the 409 and the new nomad cranks or whatever cause its their top of the line hardtail, but i guess its chill cause its a pretty cheap bike.