Quantcast

$1500 budget for a FS XC/trail bike

dlmlaw

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
I am looking for the best i can get at about $1500 for an xc/trail bike. I do race about 12 xc races and 1-2 24hr races a year besides the regular rides. I have been looking at the Hollowpoint Expert or Expert RL and the IBEX Apogee XT. Would love a Yeti 575, but it is out of the budget. Any other suggestions? I currently ride a KHS ST Pro which has been significantly upghraded, but my back says its time for a FS ride. I think I would like the best all-around bike possibe at this price point. THanks.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
If you're racing, then the NRS, Trek Fuel, Spec. Epic/Stumpjumper, or Fisher Sugar would be my suggestions. They all have bikes with the componentry to fit your budget. However, seeing the bikes you've been looking at and the mention of your back, these bikes would give too stiff a ride. In that case, Trek Liquid, Fisher Cake, Giant VT, Spec. Enduro would be more suitable. Good luck.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Look at bikes at that point from Giant, Specialized, and Jamis. Those companies offer some dang good bikes for the money.

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
I am not a big cross country type of guy, but I do no that the Cannondale Jekyll is a very cross country oriented full suspension bike. The Giant NRS is awesome too. The Enduro has slack head angle and is more all mountain oriented. The Jamis seems to be heralded by some magazines, I have never used one. I hate KHS have ridden some of there freeride rigs. The Sugar is in the same kind of class as the Jekyll and Jamis. My local shop sells both. I choose the Cannondale, and that is saying something because I do not like Cannondale.

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
Would have to disagree on the Jekyll. Read the reviews on it pretty much everyone and all the media says the same thing I am saying. I have had both a Jekyll and an Enduro. The Jekyll at 28lbs is light and with the Fox RL with pro-pedal is an outstanding climber. The Enduro I had was my first Full Suspension ride and it was alot more suited for jumping and Steep Technical trails. That is also why Cannondale is now offering a new all mountain bike it is 5 inches of travel like the Jekyll but comes spec'd with heavier components and the geometry is more layed back. I know this because the shop I help out at on the side is a Cannondale dealer. I prefer the Enduro myself out of the two but I would not race one. If you could find a used Blur that might be the route to go. That bike rocks my friend just got one. Could not agree more about the KHS freeride bikes sucking @$$. I am not trying to be a butt head or argue but I do know those two bikes very well.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Pedalist said:
Would have to disagree on the Jekyll. Read the reviews on it pretty much everyone and all the media says the same thing I am saying. I have had both a Jekyll and an Enduro. The Jekyll at 28lbs is light and with the Fox RL with pro-pedal is an outstanding climber. The Enduro I had was my first Full Suspension ride and it was alot more suited for jumping and Steep Technical trails. That is also why Cannondale is now offering a new all mountain bike it is 5 inches of travel like the Jekyll but comes spec'd with heavier components and the geometry is more layed back. I know this because the shop I help out at on the side is a Cannondale dealer. I prefer the Enduro myself out of the two but I would not race one. If you could find a used Blur that might be the route to go. That bike rocks my friend just got one. Could not agree more about the KHS freeride bikes sucking @$$. I am not trying to be a butt head or argue but I do know those two bikes very well.
Cannondale is dumping the Jekyl in favor of the new Prophet, save for one low-end model. I wouldn't say that it's being built up with hevaier components seeing that the Prophet 4000 has Crossmax SL wheels.

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
I'd say give another look at the HollowPoint Expert. They are at 1399$ at SuperGo right now. Swap the tires and seat and you have a sweet ride. Eventually, you can swap the Black Platinium for a Fox TALAS and enjoy long rides (24h) even more. Your back will only thanks you.

Elseway, the Specialized are quite interesting. Kona have some sweet bikes, but not as race-oriented as you may want. Personally, i dont like the Trek geometry. The Giant NRS is race-worthy also.

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
there's good deals out there. I just picked up an 07 Enduro SL with an 09 E150 fork on it for $1500.00

Evan55

Chimp
Jan 8, 2010
If youre by a Performance, they have some silly deals on 09 GT and Mongoose full squishy bikes. Saw a solidly equipped one for under $1k the other day. Nothing high end by any means but would make a good starter bike.