Quantcast

150mm 66 RC's on a 2004 Turner Rail? Good/bad?

yetiboyjay

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
England, Devon
I have just bought this frame:

And am wondering if built using these bits (but with a flush fit reducer Headset):

Will it be well balenced for a 'do everything' play bike? Hoping it will have that tight, hardtail (sort of) feel.

My main question is will the forks be ok? (I have seen everything from 100mm to 180mm)

Cheers guys!

Last edited:

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Mostly bad. Unless you want a neutered, short travel, unbalanced DH bike. Pretty sure the optimal fork for the Rail is 4-5". The 66RC is the height of a 8-9" fork. You can figure out the rest. Granted, you run it on a hardtail so while I call it "bad" you might call it "normal" given your perspective.

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
im about to get an 03 tazer, so a similar bike.I was told getting more then a 5" fork would ruin the geo.

right now im looking at an Older Z1, or a Pike to replace the fork the owner is selling with it

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I ran a 130mm Z1 on mine with a traditional stack lower cup. I don't think I would want it any longer than that.

BTW, you can reverse the shock mount on the swingarm to change the geo a bit. The head angle would be better with the big fork, but the bb might be a little tall depending on your preferences.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I ran mine with a Fox 26 Talas. At full travel, it felt good for light DH, but it was too much travel for 4x or slalom. To take full advantage of this bike, I would recommend something with adjustable travel.

yetiboyjay

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
England, Devon
Ahh great, so basically it is more of a preference thing. I eventually will try and get some more 36 talas but for the moment i have these 66's. I want to use it for more DH/FR than anything else. Nothing too knarly though as i have a rotec RL9 for that.

Davep: Is it just a case of turning the shock mount around is it? What does that do-more or less travel?

Thanks guys!

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
Turner recommend 5 inch travel forks. I tried bigger and smaller and found 4 inch travel RockShox Argyle 409 felt the best. It just sat so low and turned so well it felt incredible. I would take it down proper DH tracks just because it was so much fun. I did try longer forks but they just numbed down the bike and got rid of some of the all important fun factor. Though if you are wanting to use it as a DH bike I am positive you would go faster with 5 or even 6 inch travel forks.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Davep: Is it just a case of turning the shock mount around is it? What does that do-more or less travel?

Thanks guys!
NO change to travel. It just allows you to have two geo positions. WIth the mount plates angled rearwards the bike is more slack and lower. Turn the mount plates around, and the bb gets higher and the headangle steeper.

yetiboyjay

Chimp
Jul 8, 2008
England, Devon
NO change to travel. It just allows you to have two geo positions. WIth the mount plates angled rearwards the bike is more slack and lower. Turn the mount plates around, and the bb gets higher and the headangle steeper.

Ahh i see, i'm sure it will become clear when it arrives! Thanks very much for the info.

jay