Quantcast

150x12 thru axle

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I need a light 150x12 thru axle for my I9s on my new 2009 Intense SS. I want something light. Where are people getting the ti axles? Are the ti axles lighter than the alloy ones?
Ideas?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
If you want nice: go for a Hadley axel. Cheap: Azonic Recoil.

I have 135 dropouts on my SS and the 12mm Hadley axel I got is perfect. The ends are exactly the right size to sit inside the stepped dropout. I haven't tried the Azonic, but it has axel nuts that may be the same size as well. If not, the spacers should work.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
This is a little off topic, but my friend wants to replace his VERY heavy thru axle on his '09 glory but both the hadley and azonic are too short. Only able to get the nuts on three or four turns. Anyone hear of any other options that have worked for them?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
This is a little off topic, but my friend wants to replace his VERY heavy thru axle on his '09 glory but both the hadley and azonic are too short. Only able to get the nuts on three or four turns. Anyone hear of any other options that have worked for them?
Sounds like your putting a 135mm axle on a 150mm frame.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Sounds like your putting a 135mm axle on a 150mm frame.
Nope. My Karpiel (new one, 150mm rear end) came with an axel. Used that instead of the azonic one that came with my wheelset. Too short. Then he ordered a hadley in 150mm. Still too short. The stock Giant axle is really long.

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
I've been using the Azonic Recoil on my Glory for a few years with no problems. Sun Ringle 12x150mm hubs.

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Glorys come with an extra drive side dropout for using a Maxle. I'd run that if I had one.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
What brand is the axle that Intense sells?
I belive its their own.

Some bikes have a bit thicker dropouts than others, seen it before were you just have to find a longer axle, I belive its been said, the azonic works well

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Hadley makes an axle that will fit the Glory, we've done it lots of times. You have to call Hadley and get it. Just ask for the longest one, I think it is a 208mm (The 193mm is the standard "150" axle, and the one that BTI sells). I had to get the same one for my Commencal.

Also, the Hadley is awesome for the Intense dropouts, fits in the recess like it was made for it. It's the 193mm one that you want for that, get it.

Ti axles are about as stupid as it gets, heavier, way more expensive, and offer no advantages at all. Harder to round out I suppose, but it's an 8mm allen for god's sake, just don't be a hack mechanic.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I used one off of my old Turner DHR for my SS. (Hadley made)
You should be able to call Hadley and get something that will fit.
I was a little perplexed as to what Intense was expecting you to use.

edit: I have the 135mm dropouts and used a 12 x 135 axle. You should still be able to get something from Haldey.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Hadley makes an axle that will fit the Glory, we've done it lots of times. You have to call Hadley and get it. Just ask for the longest one, I think it is a 208mm (The 193mm is the standard "150" axle, and the one that BTI sells). I had to get the same one for my Commencal.

Also, the Hadley is awesome for the Intense dropouts, fits in the recess like it was made for it. It's the 193mm one that you want for that, get it.

Ti axles are about as stupid as it gets, heavier, way more expensive, and offer no advantages at all. Harder to round out I suppose, but it's an 8mm allen for god's sake, just don't be a hack mechanic.
Thanks alot! :thumb:

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I belive its their own.

I think it is Sun Ringle. I had a dealer order one for me. He said he ordered it from Intense but it came in a Sun Ringle bag. It was labeled the Stiffy if I remember correctly.

Either way, for the 12x135mm it weighed 65 grams.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
The last time I checked, the Hadley axle was only very slightly more expensive than the Azonic and seems to work much better on the Intenses. Like mentioned above, it seems as if it was designed specifically for Intense dropouts.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
for the euros:

BETD makes a lot of stuff, that's not mentioned on their website, among theat is a axle for the glory ( igot mine there!)

very nice and helpful people:
BETD