Quantcast

160 0r 180 dilema

letsgetit

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Germany
I've got a 09 SX Trail frame on the way, I am having trouble decideing on a fork. Been out of riding a couple of years and coming from 20 inchers. I will be doing some pedalling and for that reason was contemplating a 160 adjustable, but when I get there I know myself and will want to throw myself off of everythig I can, so I considered a 180, not real big on AIR. Rode MX for years and would trust a coil more any day. Figured I would ask the pros advice. Any suggestions?

I'm also 6' and 200 lbs. at the moment, and at my skinniest (not to mention 3 diffrent srangers thought I had a terminal illness) 175+. I'm alittle rough on equiptment. Probably going to change out the shock spring as well. I know I like a stiff set-up on my MX bikes, if these would be determining factors I would overlook?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
If you dont mind to put in a little bit more effort in the pedaling then go 180, if both have externaly adjustable lsc definetly go 180. Remember that the ac diffrence can change the geo, so that will probably also hurt the pedaling abit more.

Simply do you point the bike more down than up

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Split the difference and get a 170mm Lyrik DH Coil U-Turn. That way you have a little more travel than the 160 and you can wind it down for long rides with climbs. You're also getting LSC and HSC adjustments...

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Split the difference and get a 170mm Lyrik DH Coil U-Turn. That way you have a little more travel than the 160 and you can wind it down for long rides with climbs. You're also getting LSC and HSC adjustments...

That fork is really perfect for a lot of reasons. It has the adjustable travel, it has all of the adjustments you'd ever need, and even though it only has 10mm less travel than the Totem, the axle-crown height is quite a bit lower because the crown isn't as overbuilt. From what I've seen, SX trails built with a Totem seem to be lethargic bikes not really good for much but hucking, whereas they're pretty killer with something a little lower.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Where are you riding this mostly? If it is a lot of up and down then I vote the lyrik too. If you plan to do some back country and more pedaling in relatively flat areas you may want to consider the 160 again. I have been running a 36RC2 TALAS for a while now and like the option to go down to 140mm for longer xc rides but that may be too short for your Spesh. I doubt you are going to notice the 10mm of travel very much between the forks assuming the axel to crown is also minimal. you will notice the difference between 160 and 180 though.

I know you aren't real keen on air but if travel adjust is a priority I think they offer much more flexibility, especially the TALAS system since you get several travel settings that feel the same as apposed to just a "full travel" setting and a "minimum travel" setting that you typically see in a coil. Again, if you are going mostly up and down and not much long flat pedally trail riding then I would go w/the coil since you would only need the two travel modes.

Finally, and this is fairly obvious, if you are mostly doing shuttle runs and DH is the priority, get the extra meat and go for the Totem or 66.

The Lyrik and 36 offer the most versatility across all riding disciplines however.

daway

Chimp
Apr 15, 2004
Seattle
I was in the exact same boat you were with my Intense SS. I am a big guy like you too (220 lbs), so I needed something reliable. I had a Lyrik U-turn before, and I absolutely loved it, but I never used it lower than 135mm because my bike just felt unbalanced and the BB was too low in the 115mm setting. So I ended up getting a Marzocchi 66 ata, adjustable from 140mm to 180mm. I figured I'd rather have the option of 180mm travel than 115mm on the Lyrik U turn.

I couldn't ask for more, I love it. I haven't spend a lot of time on it yet, but so far it is super stiff, more so than the Lyrik. The travel adjustment works really well, it really switches up the feeling of the bike due to the head angle change.

I bought my fork used, it was a 2008 fork, but the previous owner had Marz replace all the internals w/ 2009 parts (as you probably know, in 2008 Marz did not have their **** together). Found mine for a killer price too.

bikesair

Chimp
Jun 30, 2009
San Luis Obispo CA
I bought my fork used, it was a 2008 fork, but the previous owner had Marz replace all the internals w/ 2009 parts (as you probably know, in 2008 Marz did not have their **** together). Found mine for a killer price too.
Your very lucky. The internals between 2008 and 2009 are actually exactly the same. The main issue in 2008 was the chassis, including the bushings and crown.

I am glad you recommended this fork because it's the same one I recommended him over on MTBR haha. Great fork.

BTW if you haven't serviced your ATA cart its probably a good idea to do that. Just make sure the orings are nice an lubed up and there's not obvious signs of damage. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=563366

letsgetit

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Germany
Yeah, I already ordered a totem solo air. Got a REDICULOUS price on it, it would have been stupid not to buy it. Figure it's better to have too much than wanting more after sinking that kind of money into a fork. Stationed in Germany right now and just found a couple lift access rides not too far away, so I think it should work out pretty good :thumb:. The old lady isn't quite that strong of a peddaler anyway, so I think I will be fine on our little rides. (like that's what I bought it for :rolleyes:)Thanks all for the input, and happy shredding!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Just for future reference, if you find the Totem to be longer than you want, it is a very simple procedure to shorten the travel (and fork) and completely reversible if you want to change back.

letsgetit

Chimp
Jan 16, 2010
Germany
Just for future reference, if you find the Totem to be longer than you want, it is a very simple procedure to shorten the travel (and fork) and completely reversible if you want to change back.
I was wondering about that actually, any how toos that you know of? I'm one of those DIY type people. Pretty handy with tools too.:thumb:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Look at the Sram site for the 2010 fork tech manual (under 'service'). I am pretty sure it is in there (not for the totem specifically, but the procedure is exactly the same for any solo air fork). RS makes spacers (since the totem is not advertised as having 'adjustable travel, and the rebound shaft is different size, the RS spacers might not fit) but you can make a simple spacer from just about anything. A piece of PVC pipe, or a rubber bumper of some sort.

You essentially just need to add a spacer under the solo air piston, on the shaft, to prevent the fork from exending so far.

edit: look at the bottom of page 41 of that document. There is an 'all travel' confguration pictoral that should make it pretty clear.