Quantcast

160mm rotors for DH: Suicide?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I moved some money to put together the wife's new Demo 7.

I found the pink brakes of my dreams. Hope Mono Mini, in pink.

Downside, 160mm rotors.

She weighs 145, is a new rider to DH, is a little heavy handed on the stoppers.

Would she nuke the Mono Minis?
Would she get spongy brakes by the end of the day on 160mm rotors?

I am at a total loss with this bike because I am so used to building them out for me, which means big brakes, stiff springs, resistant materials.

Help is always appreciated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
In most instances, the only thing that dictates what size rotor you can use is the mounting adapter (and the size of the rotor itself).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Are you kidding? How long have you been DH'ing? I remember the day I had the chance to get a 6" disc up front instead of my magura rim brakes. That was a glorious day. Getting dual 6 was amazing! You kids these days are spoiled by lightweight dual 8"....

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Are you kidding? How long have you been DH'ing? I remember the day I had the chance to get a 6" disc up front instead of my magura rim brakes. That was a glorious day. Getting dual 6 was amazing! You kids these days are spoiled by lightweight dual 8"....
The man has a point.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Call me crazy, but I somehow doubt his wife has the skills of Peaty or the Alien. Just sayin'...

Nor will she be carrying half, hell, a quarter the speed of those guys.

She'll be fine unless she is just a monster rider on WC style runs.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I gurrantee Peaty uses brakes. Watch Transcontinental, you can hear his Hopes from half way up the course.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Exactly, which is a big part of what you're paying for.
That rotor is the tits.
If my slalom bike with 6" Hope Mini's (which I ride to DH too) can slow down my 225# ass, they can slow down your wife on a DH bike.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I run the Mono Mini's on my do everything bike. I'm 200lbs and those brakes have been super reliable since I fitted them. This is for fast Moab/Fruita singletrack to steep on the brakes technical North Shore/Squamish BC style riding. They have a new master cylinder material in them that isolates the fluid from the heat at the pad and it seems to work. I think for her weight these brakes will work just fine.