Quantcast

165mm 83mm BB Crank Options

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Well im in the market for 165mm 83mm BB crank setup.

My ideal choice would be the Saints however in the above spec they seem to be rare as hens' teeth.
Shimano keeps on delaying the arrival time of 83mm BB into Aus and online stores seem to have them on backorder. Im trying to get my rig sorted for the upcoming season here over the next few weeks.

So im looking for alternatives, im currently running Diabolous however 170mm and i really need the 165s (its a sunday so BB is low).
I wouldnt mind getting something lighter then the Diabolous if at all possible in a ext BB setup.

The few choice if come across but dont know much about are:
- Funn Hooka DH
- FSA Gravity DH MegaExo (theyre on dropnzone.com and go-ride but no sign of these cranks on the FSA website ????)

Has any one used the above cranks ? Opinions? How do they compare to Saints and Diabolous?

Have I overlooked some other options that i should be looking at?

Ill be using the cranks for racing and general DH/ Freeride use
im 90kg with all gear

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
another vote for the fsa isis bb +cranks of your choice,
even though isis wear out pretty fast in most application, i find with the wider bb set ups(100mm and 83mm), they tend to do quite well.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I have fsa gap megaexo cranks on my new iron horse. 165mm long and an 83mm external bottom bracket. They are lighter than my saints were and taking them off and putting them on is so easy! :)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I could be way off base here, but i have a feeling that something new is coming from shimano. All of the saints stuff went on sale here in the U.S. at end of last year. The wholesale price on the cranks and brakes dropped by more than half...that is why you cannot find any 165s left anywhere. The current stock of brakes and cranks at QBP (the largest US distributor) is non existant and has ben this way for months. I have still yet to hear anything or see any new saint cranks of brakes through any of the wholesalers here.

There must be a reason for this all of this stuff being blown out at 60% off.

regardless, I am with you on the lack of 83mm options...seems as if the frame side of the biz is ahead of all of the component mfg for now. My own experience says thta the shimano pinch bolot method is a much better nethod of crank mounting than R.F.s interferance fit.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
K, how about BlackSpire cranks? They use Octalink, I've never had any problem with Shimano BB's! Dunno if the're any 83mm BB's for that eather..

Joss DeWaele

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
The SLC
Well im in the market for 165mm 83mm BB crank setup.

My ideal choice would be the Saints however in the above spec they seem to be rare as hens' teeth.
Shimano keeps on delaying the arrival time of 83mm BB into Aus and online stores seem to have them on backorder. Im trying to get my rig sorted for the upcoming season here over the next few weeks.

:
From what I have heard, Shimano is not making 165mm Cranks with 83mm shells for 2007. Send an e-mail to tech@go-ride.com. I have a pair in stock I'll sell you from last year.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
From what I have heard, Shimano is not making 165mm Cranks with 83mm shells for 2007. Send an e-mail to tech@go-ride.com. I have a pair in stock I'll sell you from last year.
hmmm thats a bit weird
their on their website
http://www.shimano.com.au/catalog/cycle/products/component.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441770577&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302037196&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=1408474395181400&bmUID=1172443822886

plus every local bikeshop ive asked at are saying that they are awaiting
delivery from shimano which is just being pushed back on a regular basis

anyway ill shoot you an email tonight when ill get home
thanks

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I doubt that. It seems to be one of the better selling sizes that is offered other than 73x170's

There's talk of 83mm XT's... No definate plans on if it will happen, but the PNW rep has mentioned to shimano that alof of people are interested in them. I have a feeling they might come out for the '08 season, but who knows. Shimano might suprise us with a '07 release!

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
I have one of the new 170mm Gravity Mega Exo on my 7point7, they are great cranks so far. They are also available in 165mm.

They are boat anchors, though. If you want tough they will be great. If you want light, go ISIS.

JMH