Quantcast

1967?? Raliegh Centurion?

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
does anyone know anything about this bike? does that even sound right? its a bike that my father used to race in hawaii(he won a few big races) and i just found it burried in thier garage. Its old school and prolly needs new cables, seat, wheels and rubber, but its super light and it fits me. im training for a triatlon and was on the market for a roadie... Im thinking that there would be some sort of nostalgic thing going on there if i could go through and re-build this bike and race it!! i know its old school but its the motor turning the thing that counts, right? the only thing that i could think of that would be a draw back on a bike like this would be weight... but its suprisingly light!! i mean really light. he said that it was in the $1700-$1800 range when it was new! i bet most of its weight is in the old wheels and with replacing them, i would think that it could be a competive bike... not that im getting into the tour de france or anything(besides, i cant afford the steroids!) anyway, i was hoping to get a little bit of feedback from some of you to see if i would be making a mistake putting a little money into this thing to make it road worthy once again... thanks!!!

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
P.S. I could have the name of this bike completly messed up! im working off of my memory which has certainly failed me a time or two in the past! so, if the name sounds off, dont think im blowin smoke or anything... theres no name on the frame!

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
just thought of a question that i would throw in here too... if i could maybe pick up a set of wheels on here or ebay, is there an industry norm that has traveled from the 60's to now??? are all "road bike" wheels the same size???? i dont want to spend money only to own a set of wheels that dont fit my ride!!!

splat

Nam I am
Post some pics , would help a lot !!! ( plus I would love to see them )

But You would either have to have the Rear triangle spread, since it is steel you can do that or you will need some old 120 MM spacing wheels , 5 Speed Freewheels , etc. it would be an interesting project . also the geomety is going to be wierd by today standards.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
nikwho said:
just thought of a question that i would throw in here too... if i could maybe pick up a set of wheels on here or ebay, is there an industry norm that has traveled from the 60's to now??? are all "road bike" wheels the same size???? i dont want to spend money only to own a set of wheels that dont fit my ride!!!
The Centurion was a nice bike back in the day and fairly light for its time. How are the parts on it? A girl I went to college with had her mom's and it was full Campy Record with a Brooks saddle, very sick ride (she had no idea what she was riding until I told her).

I wouldn't bother changing wheels and such. Go to a good local shop, give the mechanic a six pack of his favorite beer and tell him you want it back in good condition, basically pay for a nice wash and tune up. When you get it back you'll have a sexy classic bike to race on. It might be heavier than the others and totally non-tri geek, but you don't want to be a tri-geek and at least you'll lose in style.

The Ito

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
right on... ill take some pics and post em up.. i dont think its steel... just by the feel of it... it feels way too light.. but, like i said, ill post some pics and put em up... i think that it would be fun to just have in decent working order..... being the bike my old man raced twenty years ago! not just the same kind of bike, but THE bike! the only thing that i was worried about was the rear wheel. Its all kinds of bent and one of the spokes are folded in half, kind of weaved into the other spokes! i dunno if that wheel is salvageable! So, would new wheels and components be a waste of money and time for this frame?? i dont mind throwing some money into it if it could be made into a moderatly competitive ride.. i know my old man would **** if i had it all cleaned up and looking like new!

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
splat said:
Post some pics , would help a lot !!! ( plus I would love to see them )

But You would either have to have the Rear triangle spread, since it is steel you can do that or you will need some old 120 MM spacing wheels , 5 Speed Freewheels , etc. it would be an interesting project . also the geomety is going to be wierd by today standards.
by spread, do you mean lengthen the wheel base??? or physically make it wider?? sorry... i have this tendency to look at every thing from an off road racing perspective so speak slowly and use small words! haha.... j/k..well, kind of... :-) oh, and by the way, thanks for the input guys(and/or gals)

edit to add that i have been drinking! lol... yeah, i get what your saying....... todays wheels are wider, right! your not talking about wheelbase... the first thing i always want to do is cut something apart and i need to get out of that habbit!!! haha

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
ito said:
The Centurion was a nice bike back in the day and fairly light for its time. How are the parts on it? A girl I went to college with had her mom's and it was full Campy Record with a Brooks saddle, very sick ride (she had no idea what she was riding until I told her).

I wouldn't bother changing wheels and such. Go to a good local shop, give the mechanic a six pack of his favorite beer and tell him you want it back in good condition, basically pay for a nice wash and tune up. When you get it back you'll have a sexy classic bike to race on. It might be heavier than the others and totally non-tri geek, but you don't want to be a tri-geek and at least you'll lose in style.

The Ito
sorry, im kind of reading all of this as i reply. so, the rear wheel is jacked(for lack of a better term) and i know it needs a new seat and all of the cables and rubber replaced(at a minimum) oh, ill throw up some pics tomorrow!