Quantcast

1977 interview w/ Iggy Pop on CBC

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Good interview. So the question begs to be asked: Did punk rock evolve out of the punk image or did the punk image evolve from punk rock?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
jdschall said:
Good interview. So the question begs to be asked: Did punk rock evolve out of the punk image or did the punk image evolve from punk rock?
It evolved from the Rude Boy & Mod cultures in the 60's.

EDIT -- Ska FTW! :cool:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
stinkyboy said:
I thought he was smarter than that...
After the interview Gzowksi said Iggy Pop was putting on an act, because backstage he was "quite a pleasant young guy."

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
stinkyboy said:
I thought he was smarter than that...
i thought it was a good interview, esp considering he'd smoked or injected 20% of afghanistan's cash crop from '69 to '77.

if you've not heard the Mogwai song i referenced, i highly recommend checking it out.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jdschall said:
i'd say the latter, esp if by 'punk image' you think biker jackets and ripped t-shirts. what iggy and the stooges (hell, jerry lee lewis, for that matter) did was total punk rock in nature, if not in the accepted musical form which people think of today.

the garb was championed by the ramones and pistols.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was introduced to Iggy Pop thanks to, no surprise, Trainspotting.

I finally got The Stooges first album last week, and I have been humming No Fun and I Wanna Be Your Dog.

I highly recommend getting the remix. Sounds great.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
kinghami3 said:
I own Young Team. I think it's good, but it never really comes to mind when I'm thinking of music I want to listen to.
that's a bit rough around the edges, but still some good songs. PM yr address and i'll get a mogmix cdr out to you.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
whats a iggy pop?
pretty much the cornerstone of any RAWK action worth hearing. the 1st self-titled cd and _Funhouse_ are pretty much essential in any self-respecting music fan's collection. as sanjuro pointed out, the reissues sound great, and are cheap to boot.