$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
the daily show "broke" this fake news story yesterday:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Bush crew feeds 'news,' TV swallows
By Joanne Ostrow
Denver Post Media Critic

Imagine that you manage a small-market TV station. You are pressed for time, understaffed and face the usual gaping holes of several newscasts to fill.

What do you slap on the air, another minor local crime story that will take staff time, or a ready-made, professionally packaged treatment of a timely issue?

The White House spin doctors have made your life easy. They've provided a one-sided but slick-looking report on the new Medicare law, something nobody in-house has time to cover.

The Bush administration this week was caught planting propaganda as "news" items on TV stations nationally.

edit: denver post

---------------------------------------------------------------------

hey tv stations! you got punk'd!!!

uhhh...does anyone have a problem with this? You know, that whole "ethical" thing?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think it is wrong to spend public funds to promote new bills or policies. What is more disturbing is the fact that the administration pretty much lied about the cost of the the new drug plan. But since the white hairs have so much voting power there is not much to be done by it. Some have called it fiscal child abuse. I hope everyone is prepared to pay through the nose to support seniors today, despite the fact that the programs are not sustainable to the point where we will ever see similar benefits.

And the daily show spot on the fake news story was fuggin hilarious.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
With a ultra-competive 24/7 news cycle, reporters are forced to report news "in the raw" instead of taking time to track down sources and winno fact from fiction.

However, there is equal time for those who oppose pro-Bush public supported news stories... it called PBS.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Originally posted by Westy
I think it is wrong to spend public funds to promote new bills or policies. What is more disturbing is the fact that the administration pretty much lied about the cost of the the new drug plan. But since the white hairs have so much voting power there is not much to be done by it. Some have called it fiscal child abuse. I hope everyone is prepared to pay through the nose to support seniors today, despite the fact that the programs are not sustainable to the point where we will ever see similar benefits.

And the daily show spot on the fake news story was fuggin hilarious.
yeah, i was holding out hope that bush's war chest funded the spots, but it doesn't look that way:
The fake news story was produced by the Department of Health and Human Services as a video news release - or "VNR," as they're known in the trade.
"infoganda" - that rob corddry nailed it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by $tinkle
yeah, i was holding out hope that bush's war chest funded the spots, but it doesn't look that way:"infoganda" - that rob corddry nailed it.
Considering the quality of the infoganda spot, it at least seems that they did not spend much money on it.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The Clinton Administration invented this. Rush regularly features "talking points" sent to networks from the DNC.

Nothing new.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The fake news story was produced by the Department of Health and Human Services as a video news release - or "VNR," as they're known in the trade.
remember I posted how cool Tommy Thomson of HHS was a couple days ago? Well, I take it back :angry: He knew it was fake. He was reading a script they fed him.