Quantcast

1st impressions of Mich All Mountain UST 2.2

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Set them up on my wife's 5-spot this weekend and we took a ride yesterday, she was nice enough to give me some time on her 5-Spot and wow is that thing light compared to my hefty RFX. Tires are the easiest to set up on a UST rim I've tried to date, stupidly easy. They roll really nice even when laying the bike over. Traction was good as good can be in the middle of winter in New England going from snow to ice to frozen solid earth. And they are light, don't know what the claimed weight is but set up as UST on a x823 DH rim the whole wheel felt lighter than any rear wheel I've set up in a long time. Time will tell how tough the sidewall is, I had aweful experience with tubeless tires on my trail bike last year, mostly slamming the rim. Tried everything from a 630g Conti Vertical Pro 2.3 to a 1000g Specialized Roller Pro 2.4 and although the Roller Pro is tougher I still bang the rims an aweful lot. I was going to try the Hutchi Octopus this year but may try these new Michelin AM tires myself.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
YOu can run higher pressure on a UST and still get better traction since the tire "conforms" better.

sounds counter intuitive to why you would get UST, but it is true.

SGSRydr

Chimp
Oct 7, 2004
Southern Maine
Compared to other tires on the market, how do these tires size up? I'd like to lose a little weight on my trailbike and have been eyeing those tires in Supergo's new catalouge.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I've got a Comp 24 and the tread is different, more of a cross between a Comp 16 and a Comp 24. It also has this continual jagged ridge along the outermost tread which I assume would help when really leaning the bike over as long as it's semi-hardpack since this ridge is not very high at all. Kind of like a mini-mountain range running along both sides.

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
I've also tried many, many trail tires and am currently very happy with the WTB Moto 2.24 w/team fr casing. 695g, very predictable in corners, easy Stans setup, and the casing is proving very durable. I've been riding the same set for around 6 months with no problems.