Quantcast

1st Ride on the Bullit.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well,

The weather for the past two days has been pretty nice, so I figured Id drive out to a trail near where I live to see about getting my new bike set up properly.
The dirt was nice and tacky. Could have been a tad bit dryer, but why complain? It is january after all.
One of the 1st things I noticed is that it is somewhat sluggish in steering (as compared to the X2). It didnt hinder me at all, but I didnt feel quite precise alot of the time. More riding time will help me adjust, Im sure.
The weight of the two bikes seems about the same (as it should, I just swapped out frames) but I could definitely feel a difference as far as geometry goes. The top tube of the bullit is somewhat shorter. I felt compact and higher off of the ground, which I liked. As for climbing, the 5th Element feels ALOT different than the Vanilla R. I know my shock isnt set up correctly (I dont have a manual) but it just feels wierd. It definitely didnt bob, and that was a plus.
As for the bigger hits, there's no comparison with the stability of the bullit. It would certainly be better for DH, but as for regular trail riding, Id say the X2 is a little better suited, honestly, but we'll see after I get my 5th set up a bit better.
The trail I went to is only about 4 miles, and really rocky. Some drops 3-4 feet, but nothing crazy.
Still, Im pleased.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
BurlyShirley said:
Well,

The weather for the past two days has been pretty nice, so I figured Id drive out to a trail near where I live to see about getting my new bike set up properly.
The dirt was nice and tacky. Could have been a tad bit dryer, but why complain? It is january after all.
One of the 1st things I noticed is that it is somewhat sluggish in steering (as compared to the X2). It didnt hinder me at all, but I didnt feel quite precise alot of the time. More riding time will help me adjust, Im sure.
The weight of the two bikes seems about the same (as it should, I just swapped out frames) but I could definitely feel a difference as far as geometry goes. The top tube of the bullit is somewhat shorter. I felt compact and higher off of the ground, which I liked. As for climbing, the 5th Element feels ALOT different than the Vanilla R. I know my shock isnt set up correctly (I dont have a manual) but it just feels wierd. It definitely didnt bob, and that was a plus.
As for the bigger hits, there's no comparison with the stability of the bullit. It would certainly be better for DH, but as for regular trail riding, Id say the X2 is a little better suited, honestly, but we'll see after I get my 5th set up a bit better.
The trail I went to is only about 4 miles, and really rocky. Some drops 3-4 feet, but nothing crazy.
Still, Im pleased.
Glad it's working out for you. :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
Are you bringing the Bullit out on your Colorado trip?

:dead:
Yes, but its built light. Pike, King, Thompson etc.

Yeah, Im still going to suffer, huh?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
You can get a manual for the 5th from Progressive's web site. Set it up to spec and then start tweaking from there. As a fellow Bullit rider, I can guarantee you some uphill suffering!!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
<snip>
BS, just get strong. i am friends w/ a guy who did the VT50 race (50 mile race, ~7500' of climbing) on a bullit.
Ascentrek can beat me up a hill on his bullit decked out in all the heavy gear. And I ride an NRS Air. So getting strong is definitely an option. :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I also have a clapped out GT I drive at my mom's place in Denver, that I could ride, I guess. But I dont wanna do dat.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
SkaredShtles said:
You should see the elevation profile of the Front Range trails. :dead:

I've ridden most of that stuff. The redrock area outside of Lakeview, white's ranch etc..........

Burly's a young buck. He'll be fine.

You should get out more. Seems like everyone in CO thinks that's the only place with mountains. I've ridden stuff in pisgah that's tougher than what I've seen on the front range.

I enjoy riding there but there's nothing monumental.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
kidwoo said:
I've ridden most of that stuff. The redrock area outside of Lakeview, white's ranch etc..........

Burly's a young buck. He'll be fine.

You should get out more. Seems like everyone in CO thinks that's the only place with mountains. I've ridden stuff in pisgah that's tougher than what I've seen on the front range.

I enjoy riding there but there's nothing monumental.

Now Pisgah, I like.

For some reason I envision these CO trails as long straight single track going straight up mountains with no descents, just uphill the entire way.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
kidwoo said:
Front range.......just over 5 grand right?

Tahoe starts at 6200 and people come up here from the bay area all the time with no problem.
I had a friend come out from Pittsburg who is a heavy smoker and we climbed a 14er without too much trouble.

People react differently to altitude change.

BS will do just fine. Its me that I'm worried about...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BurlyShirley said:
Now Pisgah, I like.

For some reason I envision these CO trails as long straight single track going straight up mountains with no descents, just uphill the entire way.
You'll be fine. Especially if all your riding is the front range stuff. Some of the rides further into the rockies...........you're pretty much right.:p If you feel fine in pisgah you'll have fun.

If you make friends you should go back in the summer and ride some of the higher elevation goodies. The monarch crest trail out of salida is really fun......so are a lot of sections of the colorado trail.

I go to denver every so often for work and have some old college buddies living in boulder. I dig the riding out there.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I rode a Bullit for years as a trail bike and it worked just fine. Get the shock set up right, put some real pedals on there, and tell everybody to shut the hell up.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
kidwoo said:
Front range.......just over 5 grand right?

Tahoe starts at 6200 and people come up here from the bay area all the time with no problem.
They come here and begin to b1tch at 10k feet on the Wasatch Crest...mmm...making sea level people suffer since 1987...

Yeah, you will suffer in CO with that if it's anything like here (big long climbs), but the descents will be roxor.

If I had a Bullit, I'd probably build it up very much the same way you have. I love Pikeys.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlyShirley said:
What exactly do you mean by 'real'?
Probably clipless is what i'm assuming, which might not hurt for climbing, but personally i feel once you learn them can help in your descending. But that's an argument that can go on and on and on.....

Dude the Bullit is a pig, but you've got your's built pretty light. Mines around 42 lbs and when i get going pretty strong i can do 2000 feet of climbing, 20 miles or so no problem. Like you've mentioned choice of tires is key, plus you have the Pike so you can adjust your front end geometry by reducing your travel for long extended climbs. Many times i take my Bullit out for longer rides just to get some more power in my legs, or just to make my other bike seem real light for longer rides.

i'm getting a Nomad and probably a Blur to get rid of my Enduro (love 4 bar, but i'm just tired of low BB). But i'm keeping my Bullit until i break it, which i really don't anticipate happening.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Maybe the pic doesnt show it, but its got Mallet C's.

However, I may go for some lighter pedals as well. Also Ill start running some lighter tubes. The cranks Ive got are light as well. I havent weighd it yet, but Id like to get her dow to around 34 or so...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
narlus said:
skooks, if you are getting rid of the enduro because of the low bb, the blur ain't gonna solve that problem.
The Nomad will though, i'm wanting to go 100 mm for a true XC bike anyways....

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BurlyShirley said:
Maybe the pic doesnt show it, but its got Mallet C's.

However, I may go for some lighter pedals as well. Also Ill start running some lighter tubes. The cranks Ive got are light as well. I havent weighd it yet, but Id like to get her dow to around 34 or so...
I don't know if that's worth it. The best thing I ever did with mine was swap out my 03 Z1 for a Sherman Slider. It added a little bit of weight, but the whole bike went from slightly twitchy to a couch when the trail pointed downhill.

I found tire choices made a huge difference. A dual ply downhill tire on the front is death.