Quantcast

1st thoughts on snow biking

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
My buddy and I went up to snoqualmie yesterday with our new crightons that we got on ebay for a killer deal.

We paid for our lift tickets then headed out to the lifts. We started out on the easyiest hill, but still a 4 person quad chair, seeing as how we were told be public relations only to ride the 4 seaters. (the bikes hang off the seat beside you and take up about as much room as a person)

The lift attendants were very helpful and understanding. One of the pass scanners even said "It's about time you guys showed up." Whereas one new lift guy gave us the strandgest and confused look, but still waved us ahead.

We were pretty much the center of attention in line and walking around with them. Many people would come up and ask about them, and many would just talk to others about them around us.

Many people agreed that they look very fun and wondered where they could get them. Some were confused as to what they where.

One of the most hated questions I would get was "How do you stop? There are no brakes."
-What a stupid thing to say. How does anyone stop on a snowboard or skis? They don't have brakes either.

Riding the thing was kind of tricky. We messed around in the lot about before hitting the slopes learning how to stop them, but my first run down I juest went all out and let it go. Even on a not very steep hill, the thing still flew. It's like riding a rocket. Basically there is a point where if you aren't carving and let it go straight, it's near impossible to try and stop or slow down until you reach flat surface.

I ate it pretty hard a few times, once i face/head planted and thought I might have a concussion. It was a hard enought spill to where my leash cord attatched the crighton came off.

At one point some guy came up to us when we were in line and said he was head of mountain and hadn't approved snow bikes for that lift yet. He was pretty ass-ish about it. I explained that I sent an email to public relations and they responded saying all quad chairs were ok. He said the he "Didn't want us slowing down this lift," when it was the begener lift, and we were doing better than everyone else on it. All the kids on skis and boards would fall getting off the lift causing it to stop when we would just zip off smoothly everytime. He didn't make sense.

All in all it was pretty dang fun, a bit stressfull seeing as how it was our first time trying it, but I look forward to doing it again soon.

ps, you should get one and come with.

www.crighton.com

FatalExposure

Monkey
Sep 2, 2005
That sounds pretty cool. The guy who identified himself as the head of operations may have been Dan Brewster. Sorry to hear that you got the boot. Did they refund your tickets?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Ha! I saw you guys bombing down the hill and good to know it's some fellow monkeys.
Also good to hear you'll be back. Sure, there's going to be a bit of confusion first. Next time they'll probably be asking you where to get some for the rental fleet. (Though they were renting them up there about 4-5 years ago.)

Seemed like you guys were getting bucked all over the place off the groomers though.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
FatalExposure said:
That sounds pretty cool. The guy who identified himself as the head of operations may have been Dan Brewster. Sorry to hear that you got the boot. Did they refund your tickets?
no we just went to another lift that he said we were allowed to use. which was the bussiest one, so him worried about us slowing things down didn't make sense there either

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
they make some with shocks, i really didn't notce the lack of suspension being a problem. bmx bikes are rigid, and this is on soft snow soooo no wussyness needed.