Quantcast

1st time racing

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
This year I am going to race at the sea otter and the firestone race near santa barbara and other races. What do I join? Is usacycling norba or is it separate? What is ambc? The firestone/walker races are ambc.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
For any NORBA sanctioned race, you will need a license. As a sport or beginner rider, I believe you can still buy a one day NORBA license at the event, or if you plan on doing enough, it may be worth it to buy the annual membership. Sea Otter can be a bit intimidating for your first race because there are SOOOOO many racers.

American Mountain Bike Challenge (AMBC) is just a series of races. They are all qualifiers for the NORBA National Championships in Mammoth this year. I've raced Firestone Walker...it gets VERY hot and dry out there so be prepared!

Good luck!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I live in los olivos, right near the firstone /waker races. In the dh there, is there anything really technical or big? SO do I join 1 place to do those? Is big bear still going to have super d? Also, what is at the sonoma races?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
mtnbrider said:
I live in los olivos, right near the firstone /waker races. In the dh there, is there anything really technical or big? SO do I join 1 place to do those? Is big bear still going to have super d? Also, what is at the sonoma races?
Sorry, I race XC. Someone else should be able to clue you in...Zark or Orven maybe.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
DH there last year is fairly tame. I didn't race, but I helped build a bit. I was coming back from an ACL reconstruction and rode the course cleanly. Being confident on double jumps is a must for a good time. I did hear a rumor that there will be no more DH race this year. Not sure if it is true, but there is talk.

I would suggest just signing up for this race and getting a NORBA day license($5, I think).

Sea Otter DH is really smooth. Reminds me more of a long dual course than anything(I know xc courses that are more technical). Great course for a first time racer and it is a very fun event. Loads of people, which is good and bad. You can meet a ton of people and make new friends, but the DH course has VERY long lines. Still, well worth the trip to make it up for the ride.

If you ride the trails in Santa Barbara or San Luis and have some experience on dirt jumps then you'll have no problem at either of these races.

The Ito

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have done 13' double with a 1.5' lip. I can do small dirt jumps, nothing really big. Near my house there is a 10' double with a 2' lip and a 10' oduble with a 3' lip That I can do. I haven't been on many trails In san luis or santa barbara. Can you tell me where some shuttle trails are in SLO or SB. On the Firstone website it only talks about xc. How much is a year norba license. Would I get a number for a year.

B

bigkonarider

Dude ,you'll be fine.
Better to go a little slower-"than crash" as Anne Caroline Chuoson say's.
Try to relax & warm up 1'st..That was my biggest problem "not warming up at all"& i felt better right after my 2'nd run. So warm up first !!!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
At my high school in Los Olivos: Dunn School, we have to do three school sports per year. I am a freshman and I hate teamsports like basket ball or soccer. I did golf which was fun: we got lesons at the local golf coarse (we paid for a package). So for the second sport currently I am doiong river Kyaking and climbing. It is really fun. We went to the kern 2 times and are going again in 2 weeks. Last time we did the powerhouse run. I am writing a proposal so I can do my own sport: mtbing. SO IO will have time to ride and race.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
SB trails to shuttle(though as of now access to them is pretty shady due to rains).

Gibraltar Road leads to Tunnel, Cold Springs, San Ysidro, and Romero(but this one is a good climb up). Some fairly intense DH trails, Tunnel is probably the hardest and Cld spirngs is a close second. San Ysidro was sexy smooth, but I haven't ridden it in a while and I'm not sure on conditions. Knapps Castle at the top of East Camino Cielo is great fun and easy to get 4-5 runs in a row on. I haven't ridden it in about a year and a half though because of school and I heard it might have been widened by a bulldozer.

There are some great Xc trails as well that are a bit burlier than you would expect. Check out the local bike shops and trail books for more info. And ya, you should be fine in those races.

The Ito

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
They are re opening the highway on the Pass tomorrow (wednesday) at 6pm. They rebult the road: I saw it on the news an hour ago.

My friend who dhs said that cold springs is hard because it is fast and rocky.

For racing
I am trying to save up for a bullit ( you can tell- on my signature) I want to put mavic d321s or mavic ex729s on it. I will get a 6" inch fork.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
How is the Mammoth dh? I am going there next week, to snowboard. They have so much snow! Will a 150mm fork work for all around dh/fr

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
Ok everyone in case you missed it on another thread, THE CHAMBERLIN RANCH DH at the FIRESTONE WALKER weekend is happening! For sure.

I need your help in getting the news out, so spread the word.

Hey, mtnbrider, do you or any of your fellow students need to do community work hours for school? We will need a lot of volunteers all weekend long, April 22, 23 & 24.

Also if any of you DH guys know of any poor soles that might be recovering form an injury and can't race, we'll need two to four shuttle truck drivers Friday and Saturday.

Any help any of you can give in any way is apperciated.

Enjoy the ride,

Hecky - The Promoter
Firestone Walker MTB Weekend

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
it's sunday now.

no bike for now, as per the request of the property owners, maybe closer to the race ...

mh

ps. did you go to fontuky today?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Which entrance do I go in and where is it being dug. Is it on figuroa rd.? What time? Should I bring a shovel? Are you using tractors?

hecktone

Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Santa Barbara
OK, mtnbiker, it's off of Foxen Canyon Road, not Fig. Mt.

It's this Sunday, not Saturday, and we meet at 9 AM at the top of the DH. Park on the the side of the road in the turnout.

Just shovels this Sunday no tractor. If you have a flat nose shovel that would be best. All we're doing is starting at the top and working our way down week by week. We have to "brush" a 16 inch wide path from the start ramp to about half way down on Sunday.

Also, this is very important. There can be no riding of the DH course until the week of the race. Last year we had our run of the place and this pissed off the Firestone's who live just below the course. We hadd tom many truck up and down the dirt access road and too many riders out there in the months leading up to the race.

So in order to even have this event, which is 100% on private land, I needed to agree with the property owners terms.

What I'm doing for riders who work at least two days on trail work, is I'm letting them have their own private course "tuning" day the Thursday before the race, that is the 21st of April. This will be their day to have fun and chance to get to know the course.

I hope youcan still help, please bring some freinds, but leave the bikes at home for now.

If you need to reach me cal me at 896-0673.

Thanks,

Mike

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
he is too lazy, so he is just going to come on race day. Do we have seperate runs or are we released like 30 s after. He is going to let me use his bike to race and he needs to use that for his runs too.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
On the 9th I will come. My friend and I are both in the same class: 15-16. We are both using his bike. In the race, are people released 30s after or what because we are both using the same bike.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Umm...try talking to the race starters, see if you can get delayed so the bike can come back up to you or your friend races, but I wouldn't count on it. Consider yourself screwed if one of you wrecks and breaks something.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I guess I will have to use my level betty. It has an '03 dirt jump fork with 130mm and a mavic ex 325 rim in the back. I have wtb 2.24 tires.