Quantcast

1x9/1x10 gears.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Thinking about going 1x9 on my new ride. Easy enough to take the extra rings off my existing cranks... however, would it work fine if I actually got a SS specific crank or will that cause an alignment issue or even an issue with the chain thickness?

AS you can tell, I know jack about single-speeds.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Take a triple remove the inner and outer rings install a non-ramped ring in the teeth of your choice = SS specific crankset. You could get a chain keeper or something if you are worried about dropping your chain to the inside.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you want to run a chainguide with it, you'll probably need to grind the granny tabs off your 3 ring crank. A SS crank would avoid that issue, but otherwise it doesn't matter.

If you don't want to drop your chain every 3 minutes, I'd recommend a chainguide. Though you do live in OK, so maybe it doesn't matter. :think:

NorseManiac

Monkey
Mar 15, 2006
The North Shore, MA
I run a set of hones with a gamut guide 1x9 and had to do no grinding. I would def use some sort of guide, maybe one of those new XC e13 thingys. Or a backplate spaced out of the middle tabs.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
If you want to run a chainguide with it, you'll probably need to grind the granny tabs off your 3 ring crank. A SS crank would avoid that issue, but otherwise it doesn't matter.

If you don't want to drop your chain every 3 minutes, I'd recommend a chainguide. Though you do live in OK, so maybe it doesn't matter. :think:
It matters:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I run 1x9 on all 3 of my bikes. My DH and blur 4x both have traditional chain guides and my XC bike has a e.13 XCX guide. The XCX is great, I switched to a short cage der. and I haven't dropped a chain yet.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
There is a difference between single speed and tripple cranks, and its in were the middle ring mounts. The steps the ring sit on are different on each one, generally you wont be able to mount up a regular no ramped single ring onto tripple cranks unless you do a little fab work on the ring or the cranks, they your regular ramped ring will be a little loose on the single speed cranks...... Its a small difference, but its there.

As for the Granny tabs, if you do need to remove them....... PUT THE GRINDERS DOWN.... There is an easier, faster, and cleaner way........ Use a Drill.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There is a difference between single speed and tripple cranks, and its in were the middle ring mounts. The steps the ring sit on are different on each one, generally you wont be able to mount up a regular no ramped single ring onto tripple cranks unless you do a little fab work on the ring or the cranks, they your regular ramped ring will be a little loose on the single speed cranks...... Its a small difference, but its there.
:confused:

I've mounted the e.13 unramped, unpinned guide ring on three different triple ring cranksets (two Shimano, one FSA) and none of them had a problem.

Are the guide rings different from single speed rings?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

I've mounted the e.13 unramped, unpinned guide ring on three different triple ring cranksets (two Shimano, one FSA) and none of them had a problem.

:stupid:

TruVativ did some cranks with a slightly large ring seat diameter for a while, but in most instances this isn't true.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Hacksaw on my XT crankset took 2 minutes
Much better than the grinder

Guide rings and single speed should be the same, Just did a set this past sunday that was as before, was an xt set, guide ring wouldnt fit in the middle position, was going with an LG1 ended up in the outer position anyways so it didnt matter.

:stupid:

TruVativ did some cranks with a slightly large ring seat diameter for a while, but in most instances this isn't true.
More than just truvativ, If I am not mistaken, SHimano is the one that started it, ran into it with Truvativ, shimano, raceface, a few others.

If I am not mistaken, the 09 saint doubles we have on the shelf are the same way, guide rings wont fit in the middle position.<Speaking of.... Anyone in need of some 73/68bb 175 saint doubles with a bash???>

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I have been running 1x9 for 3 plus years - and have been 99.9 % issue free with the below setup.

something like this:

http://www.bikeman.com/CK8003.html (SS crankset)

http://www.bikeman.com/CH2055.html (N-Gear Jump Stop Chain Guide)
That is precisely what I had in mind... i.e. Ngear + SS crank with guide.

Glad to hear it works... I'll be doing the 1 x 9 on the epic here in the next week or 2... just need to find a good deal on a good crank. I wish speedgoat would put something on sale... they owe me $60 :)

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I had good luck with FSA cranks many years ago ... can't speak for these specifically.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I have the afterburners which is a step from the v-drives. Nice crank. I replaced the bearings with enduro bearings for grins and giggles.

I see no reason why you can't throw on a SS ring from Salsa, Blackspire or what have you on your current crank. As long as you get the right BCD it should work.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
A guide is probably overkill...why not a N-Gear jump stop?
I have to repeat what others are doing, but the popular setup around the Bay Area is a light chainguide.

I can't say if it is fad or a real need for holding the chain on. But this is also on primarily 5-7 inch travel bikes.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I run 1x9 on all 3 of my bikes. My DH and blur 4x both have traditional chain guides and my XC bike has a e.13 XCX guide. The XCX is great, I switched to a short cage der. and I haven't dropped a chain yet.
Same here. I have 1x9 on all 3 mountain bikes.
Lg1's on the DH bike and hardtail,
and the XCX guide on my trail bike.
I would recommend the XCX guide for sure for a trail rider.
Solid setup, and I have mine setup where the chain does not touch the guide in any gear. No stupid drag sounds and it works great.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless

As for the Granny tabs, if you do need to remove them....... PUT THE GRINDERS DOWN.... There is an easier, faster, and cleaner way........ Use a Drill.
Ummm, I can't count how many guides i've set up with chainring and guides, not to mention that ALL of my bikes have had single rings on triple cranksets. Some guides require you drill out the tabs, but I'm finding that to be less and less the case. I set up my new LT2 with a G2 and didn't have to do ANY drilling.

Guide rings and single speed should be the same, Just did a set this past sunday that was as before, was an xt set, guide ring wouldnt fit in the middle position, was going with an LG1 ended up in the outer position anyways so it didnt matter.
I just put an unmodified guide ring on my friends XT cranks, as well I just put one on my SLXs I've also run them on stylos and holsfellers. The last time I ran into that problem was on some old isis hussufelt cranks that came on an 04 P2

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
I have the afterburners which is a step from the v-drives. Nice crank. I replaced the bearings with enduro bearings for grins and giggles.

I see no reason why you can't throw on a SS ring from Salsa, Blackspire or what have you on your current crank. As long as you get the right BCD it should work.
I actually just snagged the afterburners. I'll be running 2x9. The afterburners are already set up with 27-40. Kind of an odd combo, but I think it will work out alright.