Quantcast

1x9 Derailler

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm building an urban hardtail as a 1x9, and was just gonna throw a SRAM X9 medium cage rear on it. A buddy suggested a small cage is preferrable, which mean I have to go Shimano. What would a Monkey do?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
shimano 105. or go dura ace because its cheaper than x0 and shifts so smoothly. xtr shifter and dura ace derailleur, yummy.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
stinkyboy said:
I'm building an urban hardtail as a 1x9, and was just gonna throw a SRAM X9 medium cage rear on it. A buddy suggested a small cage is preferrable, which mean I have to go Shimano. What would a Monkey do?
For urban riding, I don't see why an X9 medium wouldn't be a valid choice. Shifting is crisp and clean...also, no extra loop of der. cable to catch on a bench or anything. It's not like you're trying to shift on a 12-26 spread as fast as possible...I had an X9 medium w/the X9 triggers on my trail rig (before the heist...) and it did just fine. In fact, I liked it better than all of the Sh*tmano's I had prior. Go X9.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Yeah actually if you are running an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette you might actually need a medium cage. Don't hold me to that. I'm just guessing. Could be wrong.

That SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio on a bike that's gonna get knocked around is pretty nice. Might save you from having to adjust every time you go ride.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think 1x9's are going to be the "next big thing".

Mark Weir was notable for using that setup for his Downieville All-Mountain bike. I think for the good climbers, the advantage is not the climbing gears, but the smaller cogs for the flats and the descents.

The only thing I think is unnecessary is the chainguides. If a regular front derailleur is all that is required to keep the chain from falling off a ring, then why the need for a chainguide for XC riding?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
jdschall said:
Yeah actually if you are running an 11-32 or 11-34 cassette you might actually need a medium cage. Don't hold me to that. I'm just guessing. Could be wrong.
I couldn't get a 105 to work with an 11-32. I'm no derailler expert, but it just didn't work. The second biggest cog worked so an 11-30 might be OK. I thought about just using it and locking out the top gear, though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
It's the long, but short would work fine on it. I may have one to send you in a week or so to try out.
I'd like to run a short with a 11-32, but dude said he couldn't get it to work. What the hell's a short cage made for then?

J

JRB

You may be able to run a short mtn derailleur with a 32, but it's even unlikely. The max a road double cage will take is a 27. You may squeeze a 28 in, but not much more.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
stinkyboy said:
I'd like to run a short with a 11-32, but dude said he couldn't get it to work. What the hell's a short cage made for then?
Depending on the placement of the derailleur hangar, sometimes shortcages only work up to a 28 tooth max....I had that happen before...so I just went to a medium cage...*shrug*

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Hey i dont know if you are interested but i have an xt/105 combo, the 105 is like new that i could prob get rid of for 60 bucks ish? PM me if you are interested. Thanks!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I run a 105 short cage with an 11-34 cassette. Works fine for me, but it does need adjustments often. If I lock out the 34 it seems to be happier. I also have an avid roll-a-majig on it which eleminates the big cable loop.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
OK, so I need a black medium cage 105.
I have a black short and a medium silver. Do you want to try the silver medium to see what you want first? I am not selling. I am loaning.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Ciaran said:
I run a 105 short cage with an 11-34 cassette. Works fine for me, but it does need adjustments often. If I lock out the 34 it seems to be happier. I also have an avid roll-a-majig on it which eleminates the big cable loop.
I do the same for my wife's dh bike: 105 short cage with 11-34 cassette and thus far no problems, just an adjustment every now and again. I think I have worked on her chainguide more than the derailler, actually. I think you can "generally" get away with it in a 1x9 mode?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
loco said:
I have a black short and a medium silver. Do you want to try the silver medium to see what you want first? I am not selling. I am loaning.
That's generous dude, but I think I'll just leave the headache up to my LBS. I'm just waiting for cranks and wheels, and then I'll just drop the lot off and see what happens.

Do they make a medium black 105?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I'm running a short cage 105 with an 11-32 cassette. The 32 isn't the happiest gear in the world, but it works ;)

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
That's generous dude, but I think I'll just leave the headache up to my LBS. I'm just waiting for cranks and wheels, and then I'll just drop the lot off and see what happens.

Do they make a medium black 105?
Yes. It's the last version of 9 spd 105. You want the one for a triple. I believe it's an RD-5500 GS.

EDIT - wumpus says they don't make it in black, and he is right. Find one of the 5500 versions. I can get one at the shop if you can't.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
The longer the hair, the shorter the cage huh?

I'm now leaning back towards a short cage... It's an urban/beater/bar bike with tasty components, so I can live without the 32...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Echo said:
Honestly for an urban beater bike, why would you go with anything but a singlespeed? Maintenance free, period.
I agree, but I usually do a saturday ride that takes me up into Scottsdale or down to Tempe which is 20-25 miles one way, and having a little speed control is a big help.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
manhattanprjkt83 said:
the people in this forum are afraid of that forum because all those hooligans actually ride :sneaky:...

I'm a crossover.
you think transcend rides?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Just spoke with the LBS and was informed that the the X9's will come in all 3 sizes for 07. Don't help me, but now you know.