Quantcast

2.5 Tire Suggestions

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I just bought a new 04 Kona Stinky and traced a rear rotor "buzz" to the tread pattern of the stock Nokian tire (which I liked, but the noise drove me nuts). I tried a Kujo (too small) and now a High Roller which seems to make it harder to wheelie, etc. because of the narrow center pattern.

Any suggestion from you monkeys?

Thanks!

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Post this in the lounge or the DH forum. Maybe do a couple of searches on the DH forum because tire choices have been discussed a lot.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
DUde, your tire normally won't make your rotor buzz. Check all of your spokes, and tighten down the bolts on your rotor and caliper to start.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Try a WTB like the Weirwolf. If the highroller didn't work you may also want to try the Minnion, IMO its much better then the highroller

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
DUUUUDE, with the help of a great wrencher at my favorite LBS, I tried different rotors, tightening the hub (crap Deore), etc. and the noise would not stop at fairly high speed. Shazaam, switch a tire and noise gone. I asked for tire suggestions, not diagnostics. I don't want to buy 20 tires to find out what's good. Thanks scurban!

El Santo

Chimp
Apr 14, 2002
the 'burbs of SF
stinkyboy said:
DUUUUDE, with the help of a great wrencher at my favorite LBS, I tried different rotors, tightening the hub (crap Deore), etc. and the noise would not stop at fairly high speed. Shazaam, switch a tire and noise gone. I asked for tire suggestions, not diagnostics. I don't want to buy 20 tires to find out what's good. Thanks scurban!
Go Minion or High Roller. If you are riding SoMo a lot, stay away from the super tacky or slow reezay versions of Maxxis tires - the rocks will shred the softer compound knobs after a few runs.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Michie's or the Maxxis tires as described. It's probably a tad harder to wheelie because Kujo's knobs are close together while the Maxxis tires are further apart.

You could always try a 2.5 Maxxis Minion R (rear). Those have a little more rounding profile to them and not just stright up knobs.

Like said above, if it's rocky terrian you're gonna eat the Slow Reezay and Stickey Rubber compounds up. They will grip better but at a price (they wear out fast!). For a longer lasting tire you're going to want the harder compounds. Maxxis's hardest is 60D I believe.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
seismic said:
Maxxis Minion Front tires on both F and R !
I 2nd this combo or just run the Minion F on the front and the Minion R on the rear.

A lot of people run the Minion F on the front and rear.

I run both combos.....

Paris

Monkey
Aug 24, 2004
The Commonwealth
Run Minion R both front and rear also. Could you tire have had a heavy point, like a bulge in the rubber, maybe it was defective? Maxxis tires if anything are consistently great tires, some of the best to come along in years...try any of them, you won't be disappointed.

BTW--tread patterns have nothing to do with wheelies....more to do with balance, skill and plain 'ol talent

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
If you were to go Michelin, the Comp16 in 2.5 would be a good choice. Wicked traction but they'll wear down fairly quickly on the rear wheel.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ChrisRobin said:
If you were to go Michelin, the Comp16 in 2.5 would be a good choice. Wicked traction but they'll wear down fairly quickly on the rear wheel.
For Pheonix?? I'd say Comp 24 2.5, myself. The Comp 16 side knobs might be OK in loose sandy stuff, but when it's rocky or packed, I'd take the comp 24 every time...

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
People seen to like the Tomac Series Kendas. The Nevegal/Blue groove work well in the mucky East. If that's too "knobby" maybe the Cortez 2.5 DH may be good for Phoenix.
I just looked at the Kenda website and I guess the Cortez doesn't come in a DH casing. I wouldn't rec the kevlar tomac Kendas...pinch flats