Quantcast

2.7 maxxis on boxxer

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
Will it work? Boxxer is a 2003 race. I know they say max is 2.5 or something but maxxis is generaly a smaller tire I hear?

Also would you guys choose mich or maxxis, I have a choice and dont know exactly what to choose.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
2.7" Minion DHF SR, 2.5" Minion DHR SR. I would not recommend ST as it wears faster. If the conditions aren't so loose, I would run a 2.5" High Roller SR F and 2.5" High Roller SR R. Those are my Maxxis-only opinions.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
erikkellison said:
2.7" Minion DHF SR, 2.5" Minion DHR SR. I would not recommend ST as it wears faster. If the conditions aren't so loose, I would run a 2.5" High Roller SR F and 2.5" High Roller SR R. Those are my Maxxis-only opinions.
ST wears faster than SR? I thought Super Tacky was 42 durometer, and SR was 40? Is there something I'm missing?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I ran a Highroller in the front, Mobster in the back for East Coast Racing for awhile. If its Maxxis only, I think thats a pretty good combo.

(I now have a nevegal 2.7 front, and a highroller 2.35 rear)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BigMike said:
I ran a Highroller in the front, Mobster in the back for East Coast Racing for awhile. If its Maxxis only, I think thats a pretty good combo.

(I now have a nevegal 2.7 front, and a highroller 2.35 rear)
only reverse it! The mobster is a pretty front specific tire, with great cornering knobs. Pretty horrible ont he rear in my experience. The HR is better suited as a back tire but can be run on both (many do).

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Transcend said:
only reverse it! The mobster is a pretty front specific tire, with great cornering knobs. Pretty horrible ont he rear in my experience. The HR is better suited as a back tire but can be run on both (many do).
Interesting, I had an opposite experiance. I like the Mobster in the back for bouncing through rock gardens. It also allows a certain bit of "float" through berms and the such.

Just another example of "whatever works best for you!"
:)

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
WheelieMan said:
ST wears faster than SR? I thought Super Tacky was 42 durometer, and SR was 40? Is there something I'm missing?
Nope. According to Go-Ride (and Maxxis indirectly through the phasing out of ST tires), SR "wears better." I have heard from friends that there's chunking problems with ST's.

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Well, I've been told that ST's are on the way out because SR's wear better AND grip better. Apparently the ST's are more prone to complete knob failure. Seems like a no-brainer, unless you get a killer deal on ST's.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
It will fit. Hell you can run a 2.7 Maxxis on an XC bike, as they are way smaller than claimed.

i.e. my Kenda 2.20 Kinetics are bigger than my 2.5 Minions. The Kenda measures at exactly 2.20, and the Minion is 2.18.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Ya, I got some mobsters (2.5) and they are almost the same size as my 2.3 tioga Factory DH tires. I was hoping for soming a lil bigger.

What is a true 2.5-2.7 tire? Michy?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I usually run a mobster SR in the front and either a reg mobster or HR in the rear. If the course is buff, check out the lopes. I've run these both front and rear and they definitly hook up. If you don't have to worry much about flatting on rocks, it can be a good choice.