Quantcast

2.75 stroke to 2.5...how much travel loss?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
What's the formula for this? My SGS with 8 inches of travel currently has an 8.75x2.75 shock, thinking of swapping to an 8.5x2.5 shock to slacken the HT angle and drop the BB a little. How do I calcualte how much travel I'll lose?

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
(x/y)t=T
x = new shock stroke
y = original shock stroke
t = original travel
T = new travel
this should get you pretty close...Coma is pretty much on the money

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
wtf?? My 5 red rating is now only 3??!??! I go away for a month and this happens...who is sabotaging me??
Sorry for the disruption.

vpsaline

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
What nerds with their formulas and calculators :clue: ( I dont trust nerds :rofl:) Just kidding, but seriously only take out your calculators if your own sense of observation cant help. Keep your observation senses sharp :rofl:

8.1 inches

7.4 inches

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
take a ziptie or something and tie down the rear end to 8.5" eye2eye on the shock. Then you can see it and do whatever measurements you want too...

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Instead of spending money on a new shock, a lot of people with the SGS's just drilled new mounting holes for the shock, the upper ones that attach at the seat-tube mast plates. There is plenty of material there to work with, and it wont reduce your travel. Figure out the geometry youd want to acheive, unbolt the top shock mount and then slide the shock to a place in which the geometry you want, occurs.