Quantcast

2 moar weeks: Evil Uprising non-vapor ware

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Guess what Kevin's working on. Kick ass bikes, not websites that people who aren't even gonna give the brand a shot are concerned with.

As far as I'm concerned there is no problem.
That is so punk rock dude.

Say I start looking around for a new ride. I want to compare some frames, look at the geo, weight, carbon or not, etc... If I were to look into an evil right now I would think that the only bikes they make are a hard tail Faction and an aluminum Revolt. Kinda silly don't you think?

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia

Say I start looking around for a new ride. I want to compare some frames, look at the geo, weight, carbon or not, etc... If I were to look into an evil right now I would think that the only bikes they make are a hard tail Faction and an aluminum Revolt. Kinda silly don't you think?
You could email Kevin and ask him your questions. He gets back to people pretty quick.

When I got my frame he was texting me back answers to my questions at midnight. Pretty cool IMO.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
You could email Kevin and ask him your questions. He gets back to people pretty quick.

When I got my frame he was texting me back answers to my questions at midnight. Pretty cool IMO.
That is pretty cool. The lame part would be me asking- "So uh.. I hear you guys have a carbon DH frame, can you send me a pic with the geo numbers?"

But who am I to judge? If they're selling bikes then calling someone by phone must be the way to go.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer

Ahh bro, if you don't just innately know just how sick and bitching Hype er, I mean Evil bikes are then you are not allowed to own one.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
That is pretty cool. The lame part would be me asking- "So uh.. I hear you guys have a carbon DH frame, can you send me a pic with the geo numbers?"

But who am I to judge? If they're selling bikes then calling someone by phone must be the way to go.
The numbers for the Undead have been posted all over the interwebz. http://fanatikbike.com/product/13evil-undead-frame-9927.htm Scroll down to see geo numbers by size.

If you're seriously interested in the Uprising email Kevin. He's stoked to to talk to customers and about bikes. The first time I talked to him we BS'd about bikes, supercross and racing for almost an hour.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
The numbers for the Undead have been posted all over the interwebz. http://fanatikbike.com/product/13evil-undead-frame-9927.htm Scroll down to see geo numbers by size.

If you're seriously interested in the Uprising email Kevin. He's stoked to to talk to customers and about bikes. The first time I talked to him we BS'd about bikes, supercross and racing for almost an hour.
Sounds pretty cool to me. Love meeting other rider/like minded people and being able to bs about 2 wheeled ****.

I didn't follow what happened at Evil very closely, all I know is that a bunch of Revolt owners were duped and that Evil eventually(even if it did take a while) replaced all errant frames with brand new carbon Undeads. Ill preface this by saying I may not understand the situation fully and I definitely dont know all the facts, but that seems like a pretty stand up thing to do. Us, as the consumer, just because we buy a product doesn't mean we are entitled to luxuries like a warranty, guarantee's of any form, a website, anything. When you pay for a product, essentially that's all you are entitled to. These other things are not required to be given to us. I, personally, never buy parts/frames that don't have a warranty. I also try to stick with brands that have a solid reputation(particularly in customer service). Product performance and durability also factor in. Evil replaced their aluminum frames, with a more refined, more expensive carbon version. What about that can be viewed negatively? I have no problem with the website thing, the facts like geo #'s etc can be easily found by sending a simple email, making a phone call, or doing a quick search. The internetz are a powerful tool.

Just hate seeing companies being ripped on by e-jockeys. Everyone deserves a fair shot, and a second chance. If I was given the opportunity to own one, I would definitely do my research to make sure if something were to go wrong that there would be no problems sourcing parts. Their track record would make me think twice, but from the little info I have read I don't think I would have a problem owning one. They look better than anything out there IMO. Weagle designed suspension so it must have decent, relevant performance. Everyone seems to love theirs, haven't seen any complaints about durability or performance on the Undead.

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
With no website, and using only the Internet I was able to find information about both bikes. Done.
*EDIT* On second thought, my post was bitter and sarcastic and didn't really contribute much.

I will rephrase: No website freaks me out as a buyer. I can't possibly be the only one.

Last edited:

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
From the looks of the EVIL WEBSITE linked on the first page of this thread, it'd appear that Evil is :lighten::lighten::lighten: constructing a website as we view this thread.
Anyways, back to bickering. Carry on.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Us, as the consumer, just because we buy a product doesn't mean we are entitled to luxuries like a warranty, guarantee's of any form, a website, anything. When you pay for a product, essentially that's all you are entitled to.
lol wut?

i also find it funny that someone who owns a marketing company isnt marketing their products very well...but then again, im sure they dont want to get ahead of themselves like last time

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Fred- I'm not surprised, it's easy, it's cheap and it makes a company look like they know what they're doing.

Cliffy- See my comments above. I don't trust all companies with a decent site, but I don't trust any companies without one because websites are not hard to do and provide tons of benefits for very little cost. There's no reason to not have a decent one if you're serious about your business and it's easy to have a decent one even if you're not.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
*EDIT* On second thought, my post was bitter and sarcastic and didn't really contribute much.

I will rephrase: No website freaks me out as a buyer. I can't possibly be the only one.
I definitely understand where you, and others, are coming from. The internet is a very powerful tool and its been amazing to be able to go Fox's website and have full detailed instructions on all aspects of service, torque specs, oil levels, etc. However I am the proud new owner of some Hadleys, and I have seen the cult following they have amassed, all without a website. It doesn't hurt to be proven time and time again to be one of the most durable, best performing hubs on the market. Evil will definitely have a website that much is certain, apparently they are just busy doing other things at the moment. Life gets in the way and things get overlooked and put on the back burner, I can understand.

Evil obviously reeks of risk. At the moment atleast. The Undead is dialed though, and has been proven at the ultra rough urban races. With a product like that, it would be a real shame to see a company go under. Its only a matter of time before everything is back in order at Evil. People obviously want their bikes, they look good, perform well, isnt that all we want? Potential customers are thrown off by the lack of website, and the companies history in terms of frame reliability, warranty claims etc. If they can sort those things out, Evil won't have any problem moving bikes.

On second thought: If I was buying a new bike today with my hard earned green backs, it wouldn't be an Evil. I work too hard for my money to risk being left in the dust after purchase. They need a few more years of smooth operation before I would consider shelling out $3+k of my money for a frame. There are too many brands/bikes out there that perform just as well, but also have a long history that gives you the security of knowing you wont be given the cold shoulder if something goes wrong. I do think Evil is handling the situation to the best of their ability, which is a step in the right direction. Steps in the right direction are a good thing, if they can stay in the game for the long haul, I might be a customer in a few years time.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
lol wut?

i also find it funny that someone who owns a marketing company isnt marketing their products very well...but then again, im sure they dont want to get ahead of themselves like last time
Pretty sure there aren't any laws stating manufacturers/brands are required provide a warranty, guarantee, or a website. So no, we are not "entitled" to them. Should they be offered on ungodly expensive bicycle frames/parts? Absolutely.

Like I said I don't know all the details so just disregard my responses if I am talking out of my ass. The second part of your post, does the owner of Evil also own a marketing company? Wasn't aware. If so, that does make the whole situation a little more sketchy

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Cliffy- See my comments above. I don't trust all companies with a decent site, but I don't trust any companies without one because websites are not hard to do and provide tons of benefits for very little cost. There's no reason to not have a decent one if you're serious about your business and it's easy to have a decent one even if you're not.
I know where you're coming from. But, it sounds like you're saying you'd never buy Hadley hubs cause they don't have a website...?

Sure, Hadley never had the failure that Evil had to endure, but they're good about kicking down warranty/spare parts when a customer has a problem. You know, like a carbon frame in place of the aluminum one that broke/never worked... :)

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I know where you're coming from. But, it sounds like you're saying you'd never buy Hadley hubs cause they don't have a website...?

Sure, Hadley never had the failure that Evil had to endure, but they're good about kicking down warranty/spare parts when a customer has a problem. You know, like a carbon frame in place of the aluminum one that broke/never worked... :)
The amount of money (which equals risk) for hubs is considerably less than a new carbon frame. If my hub blows up, yes, I'm bummed but I'm only out $300 or so. If my frame brakes and there's no longer a company around to support it, it will take me a heck of a lot longer to come up with $3,300 to replace it.

It's a sliding scale.

I'll buy tubes from people I've never heard of.

I'll try tires I've never head of if they're cheap.

I'll run hubs everyone says are good.

I'll buy a bike frame off the internet if it's an established company with good reviews and the geo numbers look good.

I will test drive a new car before I buy it

I will pay a guy hundreds of dollars to do a home inspection and get an appraisal before I buy a house

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
The amount of money (which equals risk) for hubs is considerably less than a new carbon frame. If my hub blows up, yes, I'm bummed but I'm only out $300 or so. If my frame brakes and there's no longer a company around to support it, it will take me a heck of a lot longer to come up with $3,300 to replace it.

It's a sliding scale.

I'll buy tubes from people I've never heard of.

I'll try tires I've never head of if they're cheap.

I'll run hubs everyone says are good.

I'll buy a bike frame off the internet if it's an established company with good reviews and the geo numbers look good.

I will test drive a new car before I buy it

I will pay a guy hundreds of dollars to do a home inspection and get an appraisal before I buy a house
Those are all good points. Not exactly the comparison I was making though. Attaching a dollar amount changes the perspective, so you got me on that one. Viewing both Hadley and Evil as high end products, I think it's equally fine they don't have a (complete) website.

I'll veer off here and say this. I know enough about the Uprising without a website because I'm a sponge for information like this. I've talked to people with prototypes, I know what the geo numbers will look like, and I'm fully aware that Kevin has fought hard to keep the company going. That's pretty rad in my book.

If I was in the market for a trail bike, this is probably top of the list. Even without demoing one. A close second is either the Carbine 275 or Banshee Spitfire. I've ridden both of these on my home trails. The Carbine doesn't come in a XL, so that's an instant deal breaker for me. (I like my long top tubes.) The Spitfire isn't plastic, and I like to weigh my bikes more than actually ride them. ;)

So, I'm going to keep bashing on my Trance until I get to demo one of these. (You listening Blackohio?)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Seriously how long are we going to draw out this crap...people are receiving beautiful replacements that by all accounts so far, ride amazing. Can't we just move on? I know this is the internet and all but it's the same old song every time someone mentions the brand...

Really interested in hearing more about the insurgent, for my local east coast terrain a full enduro bike is a bit much...A carbon bike from EVIL more 'trail' oriented would be a god send...maybe throw some 26/650 dropout options in there so we can ride this wheel size thing out and have some options???

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
ridemonkey is just ridiculous with it people need to go ride. This thread should be more talk about the new carbon enduro bike not issues with an aluminum downhill bike produced years ago...

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
ridemonkey is just ridiculous with it people need to go ride. This thread should be more talk about the new carbon enduro bike not issues with an aluminum downhill bike produced years ago...
I'd like to state for the record that I don't really care what the deal is with their previous aluminum bike. I'm just a computer nerd who can't figure out why they don't have a website. IH8Rice threw out a pretty good reason though, and I can respect that.

I'll talk about the sick new carbon trail bike when it's for sale just like all the other sick new carbon trail bikes. I've never ridden a delta system bike so I have no idea how it feels compared to other suspensions so that may be why I'm not frothing at the mouth to own an uprising?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
getting closer...

Would love for someone to comment on the insurgent or whatever it's going to be called...sounding more my speed... no need for a 65 degree HA Trail Bike in my neck of the woods but a great looking bike.

Last edited:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
due to my comments this thread is actually interesting now.

and regarding Hadley. I tried to look up some info on their stuff a few months ago and basically gave up when it wasn't easy. I ended up sticking with Hope.[/QUOTE

and you're still riding a mountain bike?

let people stomp on and ride the carbon evil bikes into the ground; then make a decision. so far the warrantied carbon dh frames have been good to go. haven't heard much else because ( others points acknowledged ) there weren't that many out there initially. It may take a season or a few quick months to gain traction. People like/loyal to DW designs. People like carbon and nice clean whips that are exclusive its like micro brews with performance. Evil Surly Sinister Xprezzo Santa Cruz (not much anymore) don't make that many frames. Give it a year they will gain traction.

don't own one but want to but want to see how long or if at all it gets mashed up and wait for the consumers to consume and get PO or not.