Quantcast

2 Ring Guides

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'm getting a new bike and wondering if there's any 2 ring guides that give the e*13 DRS a run for its money. I think the stepped roller design is a huge plus because it keeps good tension when using the small ring. I don't need the full bash ring so maybe there's something lighter?

Also, not needing to run a bash ring would allow me to use a 2 ring specific crank with better chainline.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I used to have old e.13 DRS, and now I have Blackspire Stinger. I think the Stinger is quieter and works just as well for much less money. It has stepped roller too.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
blackspire stinger FTW also the colour options are a nice touch for those of us looking to pimp our rides.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I ran a Stinger for 3 years and now have a Gamut dual ring guide on my Enduro. The roller on the Gamut is superior to that of the Stinger. I kept having issues with the Stinger throwing the chain off the rings when I would pedal backwards (moving my cranks while pushing up a steep) etc. The Gamut so far has been flawless.

Last edited:

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I a Stinger for 3 years and now have a Gamut dual ring guide on my Enduro. The roller on the Gamut is superior to that of the Stinger. I kept having issues with the Stinger throwing the chain off the rings when I would pedal backwards (moving my cranks while pushing up a steep) etc. The Gamut so far has been flawless.

this..I could not get my Blackspire to work consistently, any back pedal into a corner to setup the cranks and it would dump the chain

my buddy had the same problem on a different bike with blackspire

we both ended up removing dual ring and going 1 x 10 with E13 LG1 which has worked out better!

I've found E13 DRS the best dual ring device, apart from:

1. the lower rubber roller piece "flogging out" over time - the rubber becomes loose on the bearing and does not spin but the chain wears a groove in the roller as it drags across it

2. the bearings in this unit seizing (they are tiny and sit closest to the wet / dirt of any bearing on the bike)

as long as you pump the bearings full of grease from time to time (remove the shields from scalpel or sharp pick), and replace the rubber piece once it gets worn, it works pretty darn good ;)

I've managed to jam a E13 DRS twice in Whistler, but a dual ring device will never be as secure as a single ring device once it gets really gnarly in the chunder and everything is bouncing about

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Agree on needing to maintain the bearings on the DRS roller. I do and mine have run smoothly.

I decided I'm going to buy a DRS and try running it without the bash ring. Compared to the Gamut and Stinger, the DRS has a guide on the outside of the roller that looks like it will keep the chain on better. After looking the DRS on my Bullit I think it doesn't need the bashring.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I agree with the comments about the Stinger not being ideal. Yeah, it's cheap, but my lower roller never worked quite right. It got the job done, but there was more drag than I would have preferred, and it never seemed to want to stay on the right part of the roller.

I'm on to a 1x9 setup with a Gamut now, and couldn't be happier.

Before going back to the DRS, have you looked at the Heim2?

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
the thing I'm not sure about is if it's possible to run double rings w/o a bashguard, as the bashguard itself is preventing the chain to drop off, somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
the thing I'm not sure about is if it's possible to run double rings w/o a bashguard, as the bashguard itself is preventing the chain to drop off, somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
i tried to run without a bash on a DRS without any luck, I don't think it will work. The bash keeps the chain from dropping to the outside.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
yes this is what I was trying to say to the OP...
i know, i was agreeing with you. :)

I can't think of any 2ring guides that don't use a bash and derailleur cage to keep the chain from dropping but I'm sure you could find some super light BG's, i think the gamut is around 150grams for the complete guide including the BG.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have a almost brand new Blackspire guide with Lite God bash Id sell for $45. Retail is $75. Its super light. Pm me if interested.

Last edited:

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Pretty much all dual ring retention systems need a bashguard. The original Heim guide (woah 2001) had a huge flange on the outer edge that let you run no bashguard, but it was designed around a 3-ring system.

Oh, and the Heim2 is 150g with the Turbocharger....63ish backplate only.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
thanks Philip, one question, will the Heim guide work well in a Nomad carbon frame or it requires to make some mods to fit it?cheers!!
Pretty much all dual ring retention systems need a bashguard. The original Heim guide (woah 2001) had a huge flange on the outer edge that let you run no bashguard, but it was designed around a 3-ring system.

Oh, and the Heim2 is 150g with the Turbocharger....63ish backplate only.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Solution found:
This all started because on my new bike I want to run a double specific crank for better chainline, rather than just an inner and middle ring on a 3-ring crank. I thought double specific cranks couldn't take a bashring but Lightning makes a spider that looks like it does, while still placing the rings in the right spot. I'll buy a DRS, try it without the bashring and then mount it if needed.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Solution found:
This all started because on my new bike I want to run a double specific crank for better chainline, rather than just an inner and middle ring on a 3-ring crank. I thought double specific cranks couldn't take a bashring but Lightning makes a spider that looks like it does, while still placing the rings in the right spot. I'll buy a DRS, try it without the bashring and then mount it if needed.
are you talking 83 or 73 mm BB shell?

i have several bikes w/ 73 mm bb shell and typical double ring + bashring setups, and putting extra spacer (or guide mount) on the driveside bearing gives a perfect chainline. so i'm not clear on the advantage of a double specific crank. what crank are you referring to?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Doing that moves both cranks arms and pedals over to the right. The crank I'm looking at is the Lightning HD: http://www.lightningbikes.com/Cranks%20of%20Carbon.htm
It has a removable spider and they sell several options. The one I'll get is the flip-flop double/triple 104/64 spider. In double mode it positions the inner and middle chainrings a few mm to the right of triple mode. The big ring mount isn't supposed to be used, but if I need the bashring I'll dremel it to fit on that mount and clear the cranks arm.