Quantcast

20 fresh stitches ain't keeping my buddy from summiting Mt Rainier this Saturday

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Daaaaaaaaammmnnnn.....

Via email:
Hey N8,

Check this one out. Launched off a jump and my right foot popped
out of the pedal...allowing my leg to go straight down onto the front chain ring with lots of force. Gashed me wide open.

Good thing I only had to ride about 8 miles to get back to my car!!! I ended up with about 20 stitches counting the ones on the inside.

It's gonna make my summit attempt of Mt Rainier (WA) this Saturday a real bitch. Gonna hurt, but not gonna keep me down!

Flying out Thursday night and returning Denver Monday morning. We will leave camp Muir on Sunday AM at 0000 and summit late Sunday AM. Then Hike all the way back down. Gonna be the longest 20 hours of my life on next to zero sleep. And, oh, BTW, I now have to contend with a swollen stitched up leg!!!

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
MudGrrl said:
crazy

just make sure he has a support team and nobody leaves him to die near the summit.

apparently, that angers people.
crazy, stupid. Whatever. That mountain's appetite for people has been growing steadily the last few years. Best of luck to him.
I hope I don't read about him in the morning paper.

I worked with a girl that injured herself like that. 2 or 3 layers of stitches and she was riding alone in Alaska bear country.
~200 lbs too....Glad I wasn't there to see it. The scars were enough to make me almost hurl.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Qman said:
crazy, stupid. Whatever. That mountain's appetite for people has been growing steadily the last few years. Best of luck to him.
I hope I don't read about him in the morning paper.

I worked with a girl that injured herself like that. 2 or 3 layers of stitches and she was riding alone in Alaska bear country.
~200 lbs too....Glad I wasn't there to see it. The scars were enough to make me almost hurl.
Well... he did attach a pic of the stitches... :p

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
N8 said:
Well... he did attach a pic of the stitches... :p
Not now. Breakfast is ready.
Some guy did that to me on an airplane. Limped in on crutches and sat down next to us then immediately pulled out a photo showing his leg pre-treatment. Looked like he ran it thru a woodchipper. I guess he was trying to figure out how to cut a tree down and it split unexpectedly, shredding his calf muscle to bits and breaking his leg.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
It makes a difference though which route. There actually is an "easy" route which is little more than a long hike. I knew few very out of shape people at Boeing the climbed Mt. Rainier.....

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
MMike said:
It makes a difference though which route. There actually is an "easy" route which is little more than a long hike. I knew few very out of shape people at Boeing the climbed Mt. Rainier.....
In shape, outta shape, the crevasses don't care. This year should be a lot better since the snowpack is really heavy but the last few years there were a lot of crevasses under light snow that the guides didn't know about. A rescue attempt a couple years back also ended with the rescue team crashing their helicoptor. Intense sun causing a glare threw off the pilot's depth perception.
I think we had so much sun that summer that it disoriented a lot of us.
It's a beautiful mountain.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I broke a chain coming off a dead stop last year and plunged my lower leg into my big ring. Coasted to the LBS to get the chain fixed and then rode home with six greasy, bloody puncture wounds.

My blood stained socks have a special corner in my sock drawer.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Why do they even put big rings on mt. bikes anymore?

And climbing Mt. Rainier is dumb because you can't take a mt. bike with you.... What's the point.