Quantcast

20 inch frame for a tall guy?

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
I've been considering for quite a while now getting a bmx bike to play on. At first I was thinking 24" like a Haro Backtrails or something, but I've seen posts on here saying that there are 20" frames that might be comfortable for someone who is taller.

I'm 6'6". Would I be able to ride a 20", or should I stick with a 24? I'll use it mostly for street and a little park riding.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I ride a 19" frame and I am almost 6'2". But there are so many variations between frames these days, it is hard to give a overall size recomendation. You just got to try a few on for size.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I ride a 19" frame and I am almost 6'2". But there are so many variations between frames these days, it is hard to give a overall size recomendation. You just got to try a few on for size.
Tench
you ride a 19 mtn bike frame or bmx frame?

bmx frames are measured on the top tube.

to the original poster, I know a couple of people that ride bmx and are over 6 feet tall. get a 21 inch or longer frame and you should be fine. maybe taller/bigger bars as well.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by pnj
Tench
you ride a 19 mtn bike frame or bmx frame?

bmx frames are measured on the top tube.

to the original poster, I know a couple of people that ride bmx and are over 6 feet tall. get a 21 inch or longer frame and you should be fine. maybe taller/bigger bars as well.
LOL, the curse of having the "View new posts" link bookmarked. I totally wasn't paying attention to which forum this was.

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
yeah 6'6" is pretty damn tall. the black bike is nice and i think it even comes in a 21.75" tt. there is a guy selling one on bikeguide.org, but they are pretty pricey with the hidden headset and all. maybe check out the matt berringer frame, he's a tall mofo too. no matter what size you get going from a mtb to a 20", especially in your case, is going to seem really weird, but give yourself sometime to get used to it and you'll be rippen in no time.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
hey i am tall too, (6'4") and am in a similar situation. After riding a frame that was too small for too long, i bought a mtn bike. I am trying to turn my mtn bike into a big bmx bike and it sucks. I want to just ride a plain bmx again.

Its looking like i am going to have to go the custom frame route, thru this buddy of mine. Hes got this frame company in Zillah, WA that is new this year. Its called Simple Bike co, and he is turning out some sweet bikes. He'll build custom frames, so i think i am gonna ask him to turn me out one that fits me.

if your interested i can hook you up with his number so you can see whats up for yourself.

peace