Quantcast

2002-3 SC Chameleon rear disc mount...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I have a bud who's trying to mount a disc brake on the removable tabs of his Chameleon frame. I haven't looked at it yet but he says the tabs are under the chainstay 180 from where normal tabs are. He's sure they aren't mounted backwards.

Does anyone have pics of this setup? or advice on "how to"?

Mike

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I used to have this setup, until i got my new chameleon. They are not mounted backwards, that set up (in my opinion) is insane. Bolt the caliper on and then you have to wrap the hose all the way around from the seatstay to below the drop out. It will look like a derailure cable loop. Santa Cruz developed this setup before discs were really that popular.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
What manhattan said plus- you can use any hydro that the banjo will rotate 180 degrees. If you go the cable disc route, an Avid rollamajig will help you get a tighter loop on the cable.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Dogboy said:
What manhattan said plus- you can use any hydro that the banjo will rotate 180 degrees. If you go the cable disc route, an Avid rollamajig will help you get a tighter loop on the cable.
really good point about the rollamajig :thumb:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Don't use a rollamajig, they are designed for use with derailur cables not brake cables. You'll promptly destroy the rollamajig if you squeeze the lever very hard. What you want is an avid travel agent, I don't know if they make them any more, it was basically a CNC'd aluminum rollamajig. I've heard that even these don't work well with avid discs though, the best option for old chameleons is to go hydro or use vees.