Quantcast

2002 Marzocchi MXR problems

Loner

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Sweden
Hi

I haven't posted before but I've been lurking here for a while and now I registered in hope of getting some help with my fork.

First of all I tried e-mailing marzocchi about this but I've sent three mails in three months and haven't got a reply so I thougt I try it here.

It all started when I changed the oil after 100 hours of use. This time I used 5 wt cause the shop didn't have anything else. I thought the fork was too bouncy so I bought 10 wt oil too and mixed them to get 7.5 wt. However the fork was still bouncy and after reading on the techsupport page that this could be caused by dirt in the fork legs I took the fork apart. I cleaned everything and looked if I could find anything broken. Evertything seemed fine but the problem still persists.

As a last resort I bought oil of another brand, Spectro. I read here that's what most people use. The first couple of strokes everthing seemed to be in working order so I put the fork back on the bike but after a few strokes more the problem came back and now I don't have the slightest clue on what to do. It seems as if the oil is leaking past the valve somehow.

The fork uses SSVF valves if that is of any help.

Thank you for any help you may offer.

Rev.Chuck

Monkey
Apr 11, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Ok, when you say bouncy, I assume you mean that it springs back from a bump to quickly. That is handled by rebound damping. I can't remember if you have internal or external rebound damping but you need to increase it. If there is not an adjustment then you will have to start increasing the weight of the oil.
So set sag, spring preload, at fifteen to twenty percent of travel, compression damping so you just bottom on the bigest bump you typically hit, increase rebound damping if you can. If it still to bouncy, increase the oil weight, you may have to back off on the compression damping.
The valving is pretty simple, either a plain orifice or orifice with a washer type valve, so it is unlikely to have any thing wrong with it.

Loner

Chimp
May 6, 2003
Sweden
The fork has an external rebound adjuster but the problem is it rebounds too fast in all settings. I do notice a difference between the endpoints but it's still too fast in either setting. By bouncy I mean that the fork is underdamped and functions like a pogostick. There's too little compression and rebound damping. The last time I changed oil I used 10 wt but the fork still behaves the same.
The other problem is that it bottoms out way too easy. I rode down a set of stairs as I have done many times before and the fork bottomed out harshly. Before these problems started I never managed to bottom it out.
Looking inside the fork the valves are very simple with a springloaded washer which is why I can't understand what's wrong with it. To verify that this was not all in my head I checked my friends fork which is identical to mine and there is a big difference between the two.

Hope that clears it up somewhat.