Quantcast

2003 Armageddon, Calvilla, Mexico...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto

...belonged to a guy named 'Fish' [his family owned a few fishing boats near Veracruz]... i rode it down the course to take pics... it was like a barcalounger with steering... even an idiot like me could make it down...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
nah, just the Latin American [not latin USA, which i haven't observed] tendency to nick-name people after their jobs. He was a fish-monger.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California

...belonged to a guy named 'Fish' [his family owned a few fishing boats near Veracruz]... i rode it down the course to take pics... it was like a barcalounger with steering... even an idiot like me could make it down...
Even though it's an older bike, they still are a blast to ride.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Both the appearance of 'Nobody' and a reference to an Armageddon is making me want to plug in a VCR into a console television and watch 'Down'.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I always wanted one of those bikes to see what it would be like to run tons of negative travel. I imagined you could run almost 5" of sag while still having plenty of postive travel to absorb shock. I bet that would be fun, for a while.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I always wanted one of those bikes to see what it would be like to run tons of negative travel. I imagined you could run almost 5" of sag while still having plenty of postive travel to absorb shock. I bet that would be fun, for a while.
I've owned two Apocalypses and an Armageddon.
The Army had about 11" of travel, Apocalypse 12.5".

They are insanely plush bikes. Pretty much stick right to the ground. Try to hit a jump in the trail? They just absorb it. So much sag that you have to use a ton of body english to get the bike to lift off.

I had a friend follow me through an extremely rough, rutted out trail. I was on my Apocalypse, he was on an RM Switch with a 66. I was able to straight-line the trail, he tried to follow the same line and almost got thrown.

However...the links tend to crack, they are a pain to fix (in my experience) and they are just BIG bikes. Definitely not nimble. More like a Mack truck.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
pretty much as I imagined it would be, but I still bet that was quite a bit of fun. Funny though, now I want my next bike to be 8"

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
pretty much as I imagined it would be, but I still bet that was quite a bit of fun. Funny though, now I want my next bike to be 8"
My current bikes are 7" & 8" and 7" & 7" :biggrin: (Glory FR & 07 Bullit).

The Apocalypse in the picture is sitting in my living room, in pieces.

Long travel is fun, but extremely limited. Anyone who's ridden one of those old tank bikes has learned that (like your BMW I've seen).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah my bike is absolutely awesome for the steepest terrain, places like plattekill and parts of diablo, but a lot of the places I ride are getting flatter. I don't have the heart to break it down and turn it into a race machine.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
yeah my bike is absolutely awesome for the steepest terrain, places like plattekill and parts of diablo, but a lot of the places I ride are getting flatter. I don't have the heart to break it down and turn it into a race machine.
I wouldn't!

Keep it for those days that you want to plow over boulders and small cars :biggrin:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
My current bikes are 7" & 8" and 7" & 7" :biggrin: (Glory FR & 07 Bullit).

The Apocalypse in the picture is sitting in my living room, in pieces.

Long travel is fun, but extremely limited. Anyone who's ridden one of those old tank bikes has learned that (like your BMW I've seen).
Pull off the air shock and run it in the 9" mode as an Armageddon adjust the upper cam to more progressive, change the fork to a lighter weight one, IE Boxxer/888/40, lighter wheels and go have fun. You can have that thing 40-41lbs no problem.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Pull off the air shock and run it in the 9" mode as an Armageddon adjust the upper cam to more progressive, change the fork to a lighter weight one, IE Boxxer/888/40, lighter wheels and go have fun. You can have that thing 40-41lbs no problem.
No point, the links are cracked on mine. Its wall-art at this point. Plus, the Risse shocks are garbage.

Besides, what's the point of having an Apocalypse if you don't run it as an Apocalypse?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Get some new links. That's the beauty of that bike, it's an Armageddon with an extra shock mount. Jan Karpiel used to run his Apocalypse as an Armageddon at Northstar.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Get some new links. That's the beauty of that bike, it's an Armageddon with an extra shock mount. Jan Karpiel used to run his Apocalypse as an Armageddon at Northstar.
I've been trying...

I'm the guy who has been constantly emailing you asking when they are going to be available...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've been trying...

I'm the guy who has been constantly emailing you asking when they are going to be available...
I made a phone call a few weeks ago to a buddy who made some links. I'm hoping he'll machine some additional ones. Also I sent a email to Jan to see if any are available from Poland. I've been on it!

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I rode that one [in the picture] back in 2003 once down the course [non-competetively, of course!] and it was like riding a Barcalounger down a volcano.

It was a blast.

But - not a responsive race bike, imuo*.

[*imuo=in my useless opinion!]

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Since this thread is back up at the top.

Huge thanks to Brian HCM#1 on the parts hookup! Can't wait to get my Apocalypse rolling again. You rock!

People either love or hate these bikes. I guess it depends on how its built. You can build them to jump off a cliff, or you can build them to win races. My old Apoc was 42 lbs with both shocks...and I wasn't running super light parts either...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Since this thread is back up at the top.

Huge thanks to Brian HCM#1 on the parts hookup! Can't wait to get my Apocalypse rolling again. You rock!

People either love or hate these bikes. I guess it depends on how its built. You can build them to jump off a cliff, or you can build them to win races. My old Apoc was 42 lbs with both shocks...and I wasn't running super light parts either...
Dropped the package off at UPS this morning, you should have it by Thursday/Friday.