Quantcast

2003 Deemax Question

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Well I have a chance to pick those up locally for cheaper than the wheelset I was going to get from GR...

These are the silver rims... are they UST? Can I get a rear bolt-on axel?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
yes and yes as Jack said. Just make sure the used wheels are in GREAT shape since those were known to bend semi-easy. I had those rims and they held up fine under my riding but others had issues. I hear the new Maxxis UST tires are sick FWIW.

Can't wait to see your beasty, it's gonna be oh so dreamy :heart: :love:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
punkassean said:
yes and yes as Jack said. Just make sure the used wheels are in GREAT shape since those were known to bend semi-easy. I had those rims and they held up fine under my riding but others had issues. I hear the new Maxxis UST tires are sick FWIW.

Can't wait to see your beasty, it's gonna be oh so dreamy :heart: :love:
Got some new maxxis UST Minions just waiting to be mounted :)

There brand new, '04 I believe

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Silver Deemax could be '03 or '04 those two years were identical. They were also the lightest Deemax ever albeit slightly less strong.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
punkassean said:
Silver Deemax could be '03 or '04 those two years were identical. They were also the lightest Deemax ever albeit slightly less strong.
I'm pinner and pretty smoove so it should be ooookay. I'll go check them out today.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
The Kadvang said:
I'm pinner and pretty smoove so it should be ooookay. I'll go check them out today.
Dude there def. pinner fresh. Jesse thrashed them on the Gemini last year and there currently being slashed on the DOC.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Sherpa,

How much does your bro weigh and how smooth is he? I weigh about 180lbs and have the '04 Deemax on a new 2004 IH SGS FR Team that I picked up. Does your bro think they would hold up at Whistler, because I am not that smooth.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Bullit21 said:
Sherpa,

How much does your bro weigh and how smooth is he? I weigh about 180lbs and have the '04 Deemax on a new 2004 IH SGS FR Team that I picked up. Does your bro think they would hold up at Whistler, because I am not that smooth.
Hes only like 140, but i've been beating them down at the skatepark, DJs, and getting my ass kicked in 4x for awhile.

Just like any wheel, keep them trued and tensioned properly and they'll be fine.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Sherpa said:
Just like any wheel, keep them trued and tensioned properly and they'll be fine.
BINGO. Keep an eye on the spoke tension as they only have 28 spokes so they can be harder to true and the less spokes you have the more important it is to make sure they are all nice and tight. As long as you do that and then of course avoid hard cases and super low tire pressure you'll be fine. Also Mavic offers the "MP3" protection plan which is like an additional warranty you can purchase that will cover crash damage etc. Even of a set of 2003/04 wheels you should be able to get it as long as they are purchased brand new from an authorized Mavic dealer.

BTW: Mavic (and Solomon) were just sold, they are no longer part of Adidas. Consumers shouldn't see any changes though as the staff will remain intact.