Quantcast

2003 ozone hole has gone, U.N. says

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
2003 ozone hole has gone, U.N. says
Thu Nov 20 2003 10:54:58 ET

The seasonal 'ozone hole' over the South Pole has disappeared again after reaching record size earlier this year, U.N. officials said Thursday. ``The ozone hole size and persistence have developed similarly to the year 2000, with an early rapid growth observed during August, a record size observed in September and finally its disappearance in mid-November,'' said a statement by the World Meteorological Organization.

The hole, a thinner-than-usual area in the protective layer of gas high up in the earth's atmosphere, has been forming in the extremely low temperatures that mark the end of Antarctic winter every year since the mid-1980s, largely due to chemical pollution.

This year the hole peaked at 28 million square kilometers (10.81 million square miles) in mid-September _ matching the record size set three years ago.

Scientists have said the phenomenon results from destruction of the gas in the atmosphere by chemical compounds such as chlorofluorocarbons released in some aerosols and refrigerants. The hole refills with surrounding ozone-rich air as temperatures rise.

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Not sure if that's good news or bad news....so, it leaves for a while, then comes back. Guess we can sorta pat ourselves on the back for finally deciding that CFCs are bad, mmmmmmm'k.

Or maybe we shouldn't pat ourselves on the back quite yet.....Ozone talks fail over U.S. stance. Man, I hate our government.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by TCoop924
...so, it leaves for a while, then comes back.
greaaaat, we've given the planet a case of herpes!

Originally posted by N8
The hole, a thinner-than-usual area in the protective layer of gas high up in the earth's atmosphere, has been forming in the extremely low temperatures that mark the end of Antarctic winter every year since the mid-1980s, largely due to chemical pollution.
so how does that work? I mean, doesn't the pollution come from elsewhere? Like everywhere else, *but* antarctica?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Haha...that's great. If only we could sum up all the world's problems with analogies to STDs.
Breaking News... North Korea's news of their nuclear program gives Bush a Yeast Infection

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
Most likey earth has always had an ozone hole...
I think the research indicates that the ozone "hole" that we know of was definitely caused by human activities (CFCs, NOx, etc.). However, there is definitely a debate going on about the fluctuations in ozone concentrations throughout the year due to temperature gradients.

m'eh...that's enough science-talk for me :D

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I think the research indicates that the ozone "hole" that we know of was definitely caused by human activities (CFCs, NOx, etc.). However, there is definitely a debate going on about the fluctuations in ozone concentrations throughout the year due to temperature gradients.

m'eh...that's enough science-talk for me :D
Volcanic eruptions create that stuff too. In fact, the Pinutabo (PI) eruption is believed to have emitted more "ozone depleteing" chemicals than mankind has been able to produce in it's history.

So, if volcanos have been around since roughly....forever, and mankind has been around for......a lot less time how could the ozone "crisis" (green weenies like to call everything a crisis) be the fault of mankind?

TCoop924

Monkey
Jul 29, 2002
WA
So, if volcanos have been around since roughly....forever, and mankind has been around for......a lot less time how could the ozone "crisis" (green weenies like to call everything a crisis) be the fault of mankind?
Here's the thing. Nature has a way of almost always being at equilibrium. Yes, so volanoes spew a lot of gases when they erupt, and yes, some of them are what we may consider "bad." However, natural occurances of these chemicals will tend to:
1) be in small enough concentrations that they are negligible
2) be quite a bit less reactive and less stable so that they stay don't stay around for a long time (i.e. unlike CFCs).

I'm no geologist (I'm a Chemical engineer) and I'm not sure what those volcanoes are spewing, but I guarentee it is NOT cholorofluorocarbons (CFCs). Might have some NOx in it, which is also bad for the ozone, but, then again, NOx doesn't last as long up there either.

I'm definitely on the green side...but I wouldn't necessarily call it an "ozone crisis." It would just be really, really, really stupid of us to assume that what we're ADDING to the atmosphere is simply ok and benign. Better safe than sorry is my motto on this one.