Quantcast

2005 Iron Horse Heyah

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Acadian said:
Todd, Dave,

any special reason for the elevated chainstays on the driveside for the Hollowpoint Mk III series?
Lightest way I could figure out to support the dropout and also fit a 2.4 tire! That bike is a BLAST to ride BTW. Mine has a Nixon Platinum and FSA Mega EXO cranks. I love riding that bike, all of the bikes in thsi line just beg you to go fast. Its a good feeling.

dw

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
ohio said:
Two reasons: The bikes are designed around longer travel forks (8") and the team is Rockshox sponsored (they'll run 8" boxxers when they arrive)...

Besides, they're running the breakout plus on their flagship 7" bike (and have for two years running)... I'd say the vote of confidence is there. So I'm not really sure what sheiss you hope to stir up. Better luck next time.
are you moving in with Gavin? you in the bay area yet?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
dw said:
Lightest way I could figure out to support the dropout and also fit a 2.4 tire! That bike is a BLAST to ride BTW. Mine has a Nixon Platinum and FSA Mega EXO cranks. I love riding that bike, all of the bikes in thsi line just beg you to go fast. Its a good feeling.

dw
ah okay...thanks for the clarification. Those Mk III sure look nice - heck they all look nice!! Definitely a nice line of bikes... :thumb:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
davod said:
Are IH bikes made in the same factory as santa cruz ones? because they definately look similar.
That is a really nice complement. I have always thought Santa Cruz bikes are good looking rigs. When you look at the bikes side by side they dont look very similar IMO. I think both lines have some nice attention to detail. I tried to leave no detail to the imagination with the new bikes. The 05 Iron Horse line is built in several factories. Some in the USA, some in Taiwan.

dw

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Glad you guys are down with this. Although I am not a "employee" of Iron Horse (I work as a consultant on a contract only basis) I really am psyched for Iron Horse as a company and what they have accomplished in a short time.

I put a HUGE amount of time into these 4 bikes over the last 2 years. Three Mount Snow NCS races have passed since the Sunday frame started out on paper. That is a long ass time to work on a bike. I spent counless hours refining geometry with rider and ergonomic feedback, and a ton of time developing all of the forgings and custom triple butted tubing that forms the frame structures. I am hoping that the new dw-link bikes will really show the world how good suspension can get without the need for overdamping.

It has been hell trying to keep all of these bikes secret for the past couple years. I am so glad that people can actually see them now!

Thanks for the good words everyone. It is a dream come true for me to see all of this hard work reach a big landmark. I think that the release of this new line should totally complete the transformation of Iron Horse into one of the world's great high end brands from technology, product refinement, attention to detail, and customer service standpoints.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Bulldog said:
Great lineup guys! Just wish you were buddies with Marzocchi instead. :(
We are buddies with them though! Hey, we like everyone!

I'm not kidding either. I rode a new low crown Works 888 on my Beta Proto Sunday up at Whistler courtesy of JP and Bryson, and that fork matched my bike perfectly. It was awesome.

dw

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
dw said:
We are buddies with them though! Hey, we like everyone!

I'm not kidding either. I rode a new low crown Works 888 on my Beta Proto Sunday up at Whistler courtesy of JP and Bryson, and that fork matched my bike perfectly. It was awesome.

dw
I am trying to pick what part of this post that I am not jealous of.
I gots nothing. :p

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
problem with SC forks on a DH bike is that they're not sanctioned by NORBA... Sanjay had to return his medal and his $5000 check from the Mt Snow national after some riders complained that he'd won on the Sunday Proto with a Breakout+. With all the evidence from the photos, the officials didn't really have any other options... Focking NORBA. :dead:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dante said:
problem with SC forks on a DH bike is that they're not sanctioned by NORBA... Sanjay had to return his medal and his $5000 check from the Mt Snow national after some riders complained that he'd won on the Sunday Proto with a Breakout+. With all the evidence from the photos, the officials didn't really have any other options... Focking NORBA. :dead:
Man, first the hardtail sanctions, now this...and we thought Paul Hamm had it tough...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
dante said:
:think:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
dante said:
Ha, if you are going to try to fool somebody with a fake story, hows about leaving out the part about getting a $5000 check for winning semi-pro.
It will make it more believable.
All you get is a pat on the back.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Haha - nice try Acadian - Pinkbike wasn't "exclusive" with that PR - Hcor, Farkin, and Pinkbike all got the release at the same time - some are just a little quicker posting it :p

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Maybe I didn't read deep enough into the other threads posted about the same bikes but I'm still wondering about MSRP, not just the sunday but the other bikes as well. My wife says I can start saving for a trail bike after christmas, there are a couple bikes in the IH lineup that catch my attention.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
dw said:
Thank You Mark!
How the hell have you been bro? Good to see you back.

See JM, this is what happens when you pay attention!
wierd, I thought the 2004s were designed around a 7" fork ;)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Jm_ said:
well, ska todd was telling us how great of a race fork it was as well, im not just trying to pin this on one guy, but seriously, how much was it rammed down our throats that the slider+ would make a great DH fork, was stiff, etc..why wouldn't it get put on the 2004 bike?

So that quote definitely is building up the 1.5, by logic you could say that the breakout+ is a "hucker fork".

And yeah, I'm still starting sh*t! :D
Where did you dig up that old post? Its a rhetorical question, I dont care.

JM, whatever, seriously man, it was kind of funny at first, but I mean... What enjoyment do you get out of this? Come on, youre a grown man.

Bottom line:

The Breakout + is a great long travel single crown fork that has been proven as a great performer, with top level racing and freeride competition performances. Same can be said for the 888, and for the Boxxer. Thing is, nobody in the world seems to care about all this (or refuting all of this) as passionately as you. I have no idea why. The banter bores me personally.

You've made your choices, and thats cool. Not everyone has to agree with you. Accept it, respect others, and move along.

dw

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
DW, by building a bike up from a Sunday frameset how much negative effect on geometry would there be by running a 7" fork like a Dorado?

I have not seen the #s yet so I was not sure if it would steepen it up too much and lower the BB too low. I run a 02 Turner DHR and love the steep HA and have not had real issues with the low BB. The lower fork puts the Sunday in my size range based on I think a medium and I had heard there will be not be a small.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
syadasti said:
Haha - nice try Acadian - Pinkbike wasn't "exclusive" with that PR - Hcor, Farkin, and Pinkbike all got the release at the same time - some are just a little quicker posting it :p
They don't call me "Lucky Luke" for nothing ;) I'm faster than my shadow!!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
dw said:
Where did you dig up that old post? Its a rhetorical question, I dont care.

JM, whatever, seriously man, it was kind of funny at first, but I mean... What enjoyment do you get out of this? Come on, youre a grown man.

Bottom line:

The Breakout + is a great long travel single crown fork that has been proven as a great performer, with top level racing and freeride competition performances. Same can be said for the 888, and for the Boxxer. Thing is, nobody in the world seems to care about all this (or refuting all of this) as passionately as you. I have no idea why. The banter bores me personally.

You've made your choices, and thats cool. Not everyone has to agree with you. Accept it, respect others, and move along.

dw
Amen Dave the hating is getting a little old.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Kornphlake said:
I still like JM_ Everybody replies to his posts and nobody replies to mine so he must be contributing more than I do.
No, I just know how to touch off a few nerves.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Hey Kornphlake,

Im sorry, I would give you the $ specs, but I dont have them and Todd is on a plane on the way to Eurobike! Im sure he will give the info when he lands.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Supa8 said:
DW, by building a bike up from a Sunday frameset how much negative effect on geometry would there be by running a 7" fork like a Dorado?

I have not seen the #s yet so I was not sure if it would steepen it up too much and lower the BB too low. I run a 02 Turner DHR and love the steep HA and have not had real issues with the low BB. The lower fork puts the Sunday in my size range based on I think a medium and I had heard there will be not be a small.
Sunday frameset with the included e.thirteen zerostack reducers (the bike was designed specifically to use these) and a 7 inch fork like a Boxxer or Dorado has a head angle of 66 degrees. If you want to slack it out even more you can use the Cane Creek or FSA reduccing lowers.

dw

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
dw said:
Sunday frameset with the included e.thirteen zerostack reducers (the bike was designed specifically to use these) and a 7 inch fork like a Boxxer or Dorado has a head angle of 66 degrees. If you want to slack it out even more you can use the Cane Creek or FSA reduccing lowers.

dw
so the headtube angle on the 2005 production will be about 64-65 with the 8" boxxer?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
dw said:
Hey Kornphlake,

Im sorry, I would give you the $ specs, but I dont have them and Todd is on a plane on the way to Eurobike! Im sure he will give the info when he lands.

Dave
Actually I was hoping somebody like Luc who wrote the article for pinkbike could provide that information. I'd have expected ball park figures to be given in a press release like this, especially where bikes are expected to hit the showroom floors in just a few weeks. I wouldn't expect IH to deviate from their business model and sell the new lines for twice the retail price of the Hollowpoint or SGS lines though.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Jm_ said:
so the headtube angle on the 2005 production will be about 64-65 with the 8" boxxer?
Its actually 65 degrees, but because you have a lot of adjustment with the e.thirteen cups, you can adjust it by a solid 1/2 degree either way if you want. It works out pretty nice. I had the advantage of doing back to back runs at Whistler on the bike with the 7" and 8" forks, and personally I prefer the 8" fork for there. I cant wait to go back and ride.

dw

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
dw said:
Its actually 65 degrees, but because you have a lot of adjustment with the e.thirteen cups, you can adjust it by a solid 1/2 degree either way if you want. It works out pretty nice. I had the advantage of doing back to back runs at Whistler on the bike with the 7" and 8" forks, and personally I prefer the 8" fork for there. I cant wait to go back and ride.

dw
I know...they "mow", that's why I've been using 8" since 2001 :D :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
dante said:
shivers were 190mm, which is 7.48". :eviltongu
well, did you count negative travel like manitou?

Moot point, because before about a year ago I was running a different 8" fork, which I had been running since 2001.