2006 Sneak peak for the Big S

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut

Carbon fiber epic with brain

Carbon fiber stumpjumper that gets 130mm of travel front and rear

FSR Expert tailored for mudhunnies

Prices on the carbon bikes are astronomical but they sure are cool to look at!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ohh man, the CF epic is gonna be on one of my bud's shopping lists.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
that's a brain on the stumpy but tuned less race like than the brain on the Epic

Looks like the Big Hit series gets updates too - dual 26" wheels and whatnot - sort of a lower price point series than the demo 8s and 9s.

Cool new full face lids too with tons of ventilation

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Sweet, thanks. It looks like it is black now. Glossy or matte?

Mine shipped yesterday, but I ordered it without knowing what color it would be.

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
I'm curious what the general consesus is on CF mountain bikes. I'm certainly no expert, but isn't CF susceptible to impact damage? And doesn't that make it a poor choice for a mountain bike frame? Or is that just hype from the naysayers.

It certainly looks cool, but my current ride has a few dings from rock impacts (downtube) and handlebar/brake lever impacts (toptube). Would a good whack from a rock thrown up into the downtube weaken a CF frame enough to be concerned about?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
grundy said:
I'm curious what the general consesus is on CF mountain bikes. I'm certainly no expert, but isn't CF susceptible to impact damage? And doesn't that make it a poor choice for a mountain bike frame? Or is that just hype from the naysayers.

It certainly looks cool, but my current ride has a few dings from rock impacts (downtube) and handlebar/brake lever impacts (toptube). Would a good whack from a rock thrown up into the downtube weaken a CF frame enough to be concerned about?

As an engineer, who crashes, I'd never ride a CF bike off road in AZ or any other rocky area. Cf is a great material, extremely strong, but it has a horrific failure mode. Usually it just breaks apart once it's done, and damage isn't always visible. That said, most of the CF XC bikes are very overbuilt, and a few minor crashes shouldn't be a problem. Crash constantly and you'll eventually beat it up.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
grundy said:

Trek still makes their CF XC machines and you would think that from a company like Trek that if people were getting hurt using them they would stop making them

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Broken_Spoke said:
Trek still makes their CF XC machines and you would think that from a company like Trek that if people were getting hurt using them they would stop making them
I don't think there is a problem as long as the bike really is used for XC AND you don't go around crashing, especially into rocks.

About I a month after I got my Epic I was riding on an exposed trail I'd never ridden on before. I came around the corner and the trail disappeared, I grabbed both brakes, flipped the bike and went airborne. I managed to grab a rock with one hand as I went over the cliff, swing myself around grab the cliff with the other hand.

Meanwhile my brand new, never been crashed Epic went cartwheeling 15' down a 60' pile of rocks that had previously been the side of the mountain. My riding buddy came around the corner and managed to stop, just barely, and we were able to get my bike back up. The bike was covered from head to toe with paint chips from hitting the 6" rock blocks it tumbled down. I was covered from head to toe with blood, from 20 or so superficial cuts. I bent the derailluer hanger back and we completed our ride. If the bike had been carbon, I don't think I would have ridden it again. BTW, we met some older women hikers on the way out, and they were totally grossed out by the blood.

I decided/learned several things that day:

The Specialized Epic is one tough SOB XC bike.
Deore Hydraulic Disk brakes work goode.
Only use 1 or two fingers while braking with disks.
Never trust a rider who just left the state for Alaska, for trail instructions.
Never buy a CF mountian bike in Arizona.