Quantcast

2007 Demo 8 Sizing help?

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
I'm trying to decide between a small and medium 07 Demo 8.

I'm 5'7 with about a 29 or 30 inch inseam.

According to the specialized site the small has a 501mm TT actual which if I'm correct measures out to be less than 20" which is very short.

My last DH bike was a 2005 V10 small which felt a tad bit small but was very ridable.
The TT on the V10 is just under 22".

So I think I will need a medium Demo but I would appreciate any advice you guys have.

Thanks!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The new ones have shorter TTs than the old ones, so I say go for the M. I'm on an old medium at 6' tall, but it's pretty small and chuckable. If I were any bigger I don't think I could ride it.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
I would go for the small personally. That's what I’m getting and I’m 5'9", it also has a smaller wheelbase. It’s perfect with a laid back post.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
I would go for the small personally. That's what I’m getting and I’m 5'9", it also has a smaller wheelbase. I know that both Scott Papola and Brandon at specialized are going to be rocking the small and they are about my height. It’s perfect with a laid back post.
That's good info, thanks... Is the TT really as short as it looks on paper?

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
I forgot to add that I have a 07 SX in the short size which feels great... but it has a 526mm actual TT which about the same as the Medium Demo 8 that has a 525mm actual TT.

But I still think it's possible that the small is best for me especially with the info ride fast provided. It’s a though call and I need to order ASAP… before I can try.

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
I forgot to add that I have a 07 SX in the short size which feels great... but it has a 526mm actual TT which about the same as the Medium Demo 8 that has a 525mm actual TT.

But I still think it's possible that the small is best for me especially with the info ride fast provided. It’s a though call and I need to order ASAP… before I can try.
I haven’t actually ridden one yet. All I know is that Brandon said I should be good on the small and that he is also around my height and riding a small. I should be getting my frames soon though; I’m really excited to try them out.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'd say go with the small. Take a look at the bike and you'll notice the seat tube is pretty far forward - giving a shorter effective top tube. Also, look at the wheelbase - it's huge on the medium.

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
I'm 6'3" and have been riding one of the new mediums for about 3 months, I would go with the small. Hope it helps

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
I haven’t actually ridden one yet. All I know is that Brandon said I should be good on the small and that he is also around my height and riding a small. I should be getting my frames soon though; I’m really excited to try them out.
Hey Joey,

I asked Lee his opinion on this and he said I would definitely want a Medium; he had just tried out a small 2007 Demo 7 and said it was tiny (same dimensions as the Demo 8). I think I’m going to go with a medium. I thought this info might be beneficial to you.

Thanks!
Brent

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
Well... I changed my mind again... I'm going with the small. I spoke to the Specialized rep here in Denver today and he really felt that I should be on a small. So I'm going to trust his advice and go with the small. This time is for sure! I ordered my bikes today! Stoked!

Thanks for everybodys input!

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Mtnrider, how tall are you? I ordered a medium, but it seems the general consensus for ~5'10" people is a small... Hope I didn't order the wrong one.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Well... I changed my mind again... I'm going with the small. I spoke to the Specialized rep here in Denver today and he really felt that I should be on a small. So I'm going to trust his advice and go with the small. This time is for sure! I ordered my bikes today! Stoked!

Thanks for everybodys input!
Good to hear - it sounds like you made the right choice. Herndon would not steer you wrong on this. I'm 5'9" and I think I would go with a small as well - I rode a medium 2005 Demo 8. The new one just has a longer wheelbase (less than 10mm difference between a 2006 med. and a 2007 small) and will only feel slightly shorter when seated - which should be a small percentage of ride time.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
Good to hear - it sounds like you made the right choice. Herndon would not steer you wrong on this. I'm 5'9" and I think I would go with a small as well - I rode a medium 2005 Demo 8. The new one just has a longer wheelbase (less than 10mm difference between a 2006 med. and a 2007 small) and will only feel slightly shorter when seated - which should be a small percentage of ride time.
Thanks for the input!