Quantcast

2007 Ventana El Cuervo (pics)

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
yeah the first thing i think of when i see that bike is wight they all look heavy, but nice.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
SteezyWeezy said:
i would need a closer look to see how the linkage works, but it looks pretty sweet
Go-ride has a wheel path image etc. It works like a very progressive Turner.

It weighs 40.7# the way it's set now. I could probably loose some weight on the fork, but it's otherwise built pretty light.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
Dogboy said:
Beautiful bike! Are those in production now for the public?
They made 6 in this batch, and are in the middle of the first "big" production run. The production bikes should be about identical to this one. Scott/Krispi will know the details better than me.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
kidwoo said:
Have gotten a true measurement on the bb height yet?
14 3/8 before it had been riden at all. I think the DHX shock sags a tiny bit when it first breaks in. I think Scott was shooting for 14.25

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
that bike looks fast, yet it looks like you can huck it of a 1000 foot cliff and it would be fine

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i'm sure it rides awesome.
it looks very well made.
i like the silver.
but, the asthetics of that frame disagree with me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SteezyWeezy said:
i would need a closer look to see how the linkage works, but it looks pretty sweet
How much closer to you need to be than image #1?

It's a single pivot with the pivot located a few inches above and just in back of the bottom bracket. And it's got a big ol' linkage to actuate the shock.

Looks cool :thumb:

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
The new Cuervo looks amazing. Paint color doesn't even bug me too much. I'm very impressed and happy that Go-Ride/Ventana was successful enough with the original to continue making improvements.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
dan wask said:
where can I get that reflective go-ride sticker ? :love:
I'll bet they'll throw a few in the box with your next order. They look cool in photos in the trees when the photog uses a flash.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Layton - the new 07' looks badass.

Lowering the BB and slackening the HA was definitely a good idea. Next chance I get I'm gonna give one a test ride.:)

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Bulldog said:
No 1.5 headtube huh? :( Otherwise a fantastic bike and great people. :thumb:
How is that bad? The last thing I'd want on a DH race bike is a 1.5 head tube. It just adds weight as the components become heavier.

I don't think anyone cracked a Cuervo headtube! They are freaking massives.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Mani_UT said:
How is that bad? The last thing I'd want on a DH race bike is a 1.5 head tube. It just adds weight as the components become heavier.

Because a 1.5 headtube will be exponentially stronger than a 1 1/8" headtube regardless of how thick/gusseted it is. That said, the Cuervo head tube looks pretty burly.

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
Dogboy said:
Because a 1.5 headtube will be exponentially stronger than a 1 1/8" headtube regardless of how thick/gusseted it is. That said, the Cuervo head tube looks pretty burly.
And a 2.5 headtube would be even stronger than that, as would thicker tubing/ more gussets etc etc. It all comes back to the strength vs weight issue. The frame is under 11.5# and no one has broke a head tube yet.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
it's like a turner, but in my opinion it looks more stable, can't say it is never tried it, has anyone ridden both to give a firm opinion?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Mani_UT said:

You do get a lower bar height via a zero-stack HS, though. A big plus IMO w/ today's 8" forks.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
LaytonDH said:
Here are a few photos of the new Ventana El Cuervo. It's close to the 2004 and 2005 bikes, but about 3/4" lower BB which also moves the pivot and makes it pedal better. The head tube is slacker at 64.5 deg and the swingarm tubes are a bit thicker.
We finally got your old one put back together today and got out to DV in time for 2 runs and that one pedals great. So if the new models are even better pedaling, that's pretty sweet!

(The new ones look great too!)

LaytonDH

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
UT
I'm glad it went together well. I heard you were on the SuperD course with it so it must pedal pretty well. Was NCS still open?

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
LaytonDH said:
I'm glad it went together well. I heard you were on the SuperD course with it so it must pedal pretty well. Was NCS still open?
NCS was still open yesterday, but the DV staff said it will be closed today. We didn't get up there until 4:15 and I didn't want to do the first test run on anything too techy so we parked in the lower lot, Craig did the NCS course and I went all the way to the top, did a Sunset to Fireswamp/Thieves and then we met up and did the Super D course back to the truck.

I think a huge part of it is that I'm used to a 44T chainring (wanted to change to a smaller one before and never got around to it), but particularly when I'm seated it doesn't bob. That and the rear wheel spins cleaner than the one on my Giant ever did...

Can't wait to do some more riding today. We're going to head up to ride Parish this morning and then I think we're going to be back at DV this afternoon.