Quantcast

2008 Specialized Roubaix tires...anyone else having issues?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Replaced at least 6 Roubaix tires (700/ 23) in the past month, all on 08 bikes. Inner casing is separating, creating a huge bulge in the tire. if the stays are wide enough to not rub, and the tire continues to get ridden on, the outer casing/ rubber will tear and tube will bust through.

anyone else seeing this?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Yeah. Kind of strange. People love bitching about Cannondale recalls, but damn. Speccy's striking out.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
we must get targeted. did you guys hear about the Scalpel Team that had the shock mount fall off? Customer of our's. 2nd one in the US with that problem. Crazy thing is that his replacement had the exact same issue. 3rd frame in the US with that problem.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
we must get targeted. did you guys hear about the Scalpel Team that had the shock mount fall off? Customer of our's. 2nd one in the US with that problem. Crazy thing is that his replacement had the exact same issue. 3rd frame in the US with that problem.
Ouch. I guess I'll just take my licks with Easton and FSA. :D

Sean 56

Chimp
Oct 15, 2008
Denver
I have a newer pair of S-works roubaix tires, that when moving them over to another set of wheels today noticed that they may be beginning to peel. I know Specialized has the satisfaction guarantee, but has anyone tried to get a non-Specialized set of tires when they've had trouble with the tires? I was thinking about a set of Conti GP 4-season 25s.

Sean 56

Chimp
Oct 15, 2008
Denver
Are you working at a shop and do you have any advice as to how to get a set of GP 4 seasons? I only ask because the Bike Source shop where I got the S-works Roubaix open tubulars wasn't up for doing anything outside of giving me a new set of the same when I went in today. They aren't the worst tire, but I only had 150 miles on the set I handed in today and the sidewalls were flaking off and revealing the belting with some subtle delamination between the sidewall and top tread. Thanks for the input.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
You know, I didn't read your post close enough. I have not seen any issues with the SWorks tires. They're manufactured differently than the other Speccy tires. SWorks are made by Hutchison.

RobN

Chimp
Sep 6, 2009
This may be old news. I have a Specialized Roubaix. I have had two tires burst on me. One with about 20 miles on it and another with about 800 miles on it. On one occasion I actually watched the tire become deformed as the inner tube pushed through the tire wall,
formed a bubble and then burst.