Quantcast

2009 Giant Glory DH

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
Hey,
I'm getting a new bike for the 2010 season and I've chosen the Glory DH. I've chosen this because I will start racing(B.C Cup, Canadian Open, AirDH etc.) I was wondering if this is a good bike. I weigh 230LBS and am 6'3 tall. I've previously came off a 2005 Norco Shore(last year it was a DH/Park frame) and rode a Large. Obviously the large was a little bit too large as my balls were basically hitting the top tube when on my feet, do you think you could recommend a size also? I was thinking a medium but am not sure how the Glory fits. So, Pros/Cons, any bad componentry? Every comment is appreciated except for the ratty little 10 year olds that think they know it all. I would hope that the answers are from people who have ridden/own one.

Picture:

Spec's:
size XS, S, M, L
color Team Blue/Black
frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 8.8" Maestro Suspension
fork Fox 40 RC2, 203mm travel
shock Fox DHX 5.0, Coil
handlebar Race Face Diabolus DH, 31.8mm
stem Race Face Diabolus D2 DH
seatpost Race Face Evolve DH 300x30.9mm
saddle WTB Devo Team
pedals Not Included
shifters Shimano Saint Rapidfire, rear only
front derailleur MRP G2 guide, Custom for Giant
rear derailleur Shimano Saint, top normal
brakes Shimano Saint 203F/180R
levers Shimano Saint
cassette Shimano Saint 11/28, 9-speed
chain Shimano HG-93
cranks Shimano Saint, 38T
BB Shimano Saint, External
rims Mavic EX729
hubs Shimano Saint, 32H
spokes DT Competition, 14/15g
tires Michelin Hot S, 26x2.5

Edit: I'm pretty sure I don't want the 10' model as it seems like it would be too light for me. I'm a hackshow.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I am 190 with gear and 6'3", I own a large. Fits perfect. Get a large. The stand over in probably a lot lower then the Norco. Mine is set up with a 50mm stem.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
From what I hear, you will want to look at a large. Glory sizing was reputably messed up and a medium was pretty short. I've ridden one and felt way over the back compared to my medium Sunday (I'm 5'10").

Specifications on Giant bikes is pretty top notch for the money, the Glory is no different.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i have 08, which basically the same bike. i'm 174 cm and have a medium, which is a bit short in the top tube, but i got used to it and i like it a lot.
componentry wise i wasn't too happy with the fox fork and put a 08 RS boxxer team on, which has a slightly livelier feel to it. but forks are a matter of taste...
the frame is very solid, no issues or what so ever, except for the headset, which is a 1 1/8" at the top and 1.5 at the bottom. the original Giant headset is a PoS with only minimal sealing, this will be the first thing you will likely encounter as problematic. the bike is otherwise fantastic value for money!