Quantcast

2009 Northstar Bike Park Thread

dlowebiker

Chimp
Jun 20, 2008
Just wanted to start a thread for the 2009 season at Northstar. Post anything from race reports to your daily experience and trail conditions

dlowebiker

Chimp
Jun 20, 2008
there was a pretty good downpour early evening today after the park closed (6/13). should make for good conditions for sunday. ill be there

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Unbelievable conditions today. Got comfortable on the new bike on the good ol' Northstar terrain and had a blast today. With the rain we had tonight, Sunday should be amazing.

I didn't wait longer than 3 mins. to get on a lift except when the lift stalled for a few mins. for some hikers.

Whoever decided not to come this weekend REALLY missed out!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Speed Control, Little Trees, Flameout, Karpiel, PhoDog. All amazing. While I'm not a fan of Sticks and Stones, that was great, too. For some reason I don't think I ever made it onto DogBone, but I might be wrong.

Livewire is fun as always. They did some serious work to a few sections and it came out great.

Gypsy is fantastic as always. Nothing really changed there, but the stepdown at the bottom of the trail is fun as always.

Boondocks was amazing. My favorite trail - hands down. The first rock drop has a soft and nasty landing as it always does, with a hard left hander immediately following that takes you into that rock crevice. But the second drop still has those perfectly placed pavers, and now has a berm coming out of it that really helps you hold your speed into the next section.

Absolutely amazing. Especially because I finally hit the waterfall on Karpiel twice, and it didn't totally terrify me!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Speed Control, Little Trees, Flameout, Karpiel, PhoDog. All amazing. While I'm not a fan of Sticks and Stones, that was great, too. For some reason I don't think I ever made it onto DogBone, but I might be wrong.

Livewire is fun as always. They did some serious work to a few sections and it came out great.

Gypsy is fantastic as always. Nothing really changed there, but the stepdown at the bottom of the trail is fun as always.

Boondocks was amazing. My favorite trail - hands down. The first rock drop has a soft and nasty landing as it always does, with a hard left hander immediately following that takes you into that rock crevice. But the second drop still has those perfectly placed pavers, and now has a berm coming out of it that really helps you hold your speed into the next section.

Absolutely amazing. Especially because I finally hit the waterfall on Karpiel twice, and it didn't totally terrify me!
Nice man! Totally jealous!

I really want to make it out there before my surgery. If I don't I will have a 50% off day pass up for grabs.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Nah, that's the stepdown at the bottom of Gypsy. It's BIG, but as long as you hit it with enough speed you literally just sail off the end of it into a nice transition. Here's a better picture of the tranny landing.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
So wait, there is a race there this weekend? Mike are you going? There is a slight chance I could be making it out there Friday-Sunday for it. Very slight chance.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
This weekend is mine and Jehn's 1-year Ann. So I'm busy all weekend.

As for the following weekend, I planned to try to make a Friday/Saturday trip up there, but my co-worker just informed me that she is taking the 26th off, so it's unlikely I'll be able to make it up there that day. But we'll see.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
This weekend is mine and Jehn's 1-year Ann. So I'm busy all weekend.

As for the following weekend, I planned to try to make a Friday/Saturday trip up there, but my co-worker just informed me that she is taking the 26th off, so it's unlikely I'll be able to make it up there that day. But we'll see.
Cute and congratulations! haha

And hmm... this week is fathers day and if my parents are celebrating it this weekend I am going to skip the * this weekend. Maybe shoot for going up when you do?

Well see.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Josh- Kelly and I are headed up that weekend and camping at Sandy Beach Campground over by Kings Beach.

I'd offer you a ride up but 3 other people already called dibs on the back seat.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Josh- Kelly and I are headed up that weekend and camping at Sandy Beach Campground over by Kings Beach.

I'd offer you a ride up but 3 other people already called dibs on the back seat.
Hmm, Ben and I might be making it up together. Looks like Fathers Day plans with my dad are pushed to the following weekend.

Man, all of that beer drinking I did last week will probably not help if I race this weekend haha!

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Just in case anyone cares, my wife was randomly headed up the chairlift on Sunday and snapped a photo of "some random rider."

Turned out to be me. :D

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
That's it, Big Brian. Them's fightin' werds. Next time we're both at the Star, we'll hit Boondocks and we'll have a 4x style start. It'll be awesome.

:biggrin:
That would be awesome. I'm guessing the fast line would be to pinch off the other rider in the first right hander by jumping the rock on the inside. Man there would be some brutal wrecks

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Just to get you fools pumped:

Dom, Craig and then me on the stepdown on Gypsy.
Heh- I slipped a pedal off that jump one time last year and ran my entire foot over on the landing. I didn't crash, but it pulled my leg down just enough to rack my nuts on the stem. After they realized I wasn't going to crash my buddies were cracking up for a good 5 minutes on the side of the trail.

dlowebiker

Chimp
Jun 20, 2008
ill be riding northstar tomorrow saturday and sunday racing. ill be wearing a white and blue morewood jersey with my buddy.

_James_

Chimp
Sep 14, 2003
oakland
gonna show up today or tomorrow on a blue bullit, jeans, t-shirt.....don't know if i'll race on sunday....

where are some other good trails in the area? i'm in glenbrook and looking for freeride stuff: skinnies, ladders, bridges, drops (up to 15'), djs (for big bike or i have my hardtail here too)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
No footer, no hands, superman off the step-down on Gypsy...

...with two thumbs in the air, no less.
haha that actually gave me the chills thinking about stacking on that. Yikes.

I am actually pretty nervous about this weekend. I haven't ridden since cccx #6. Just letting my shin heal up as much as possible. But also because I don't ride trails like this ever.

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Haha. I know. See, I'm pretty familiar with the dirt (errr... rocks and dust) at Northstar, so after the first 2 runs, I'm fairly well adjusted. But CCCX is fast and hardpacked. I'm just not used to that.

Just be prepared for drifting.. but it'll happen when you don't want to. The soil isn't predictable like Santa Cruz or Salinas. It's got a mind of it's own, and the trail changes EVERY time due to high traffic and loose dirt.

Play it safe, man, and you'll be just fine.