Quantcast

2009 Windrock Festival

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Due to conflicts the 2009 edition of the Windrock Festival will be held on October 24th and 25th.

More details to come later.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've got access to a 10 passenger Sprinter van and could shuttle 8 riders and myself all day. Cost would cover fuel, driver as well and lunches. Launch out of Asheville.

Cost - $85.00 per person.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The Coal Creek ATV jamboree will also be that same weekend with activities in the campground. It should put some additional traffic on the shuttle road, but with our usual shuttle situation at the fest this shouldn't bother us too much. However I will make sure to secure the upper parking lot for bikes.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
The Coal Creek ATV jamboree will also be that same weekend with activities in the campground. It should put some additional traffic on the shuttle road, but with our usual shuttle situation at the fest this shouldn't bother us too much. However I will make sure to secure the upper parking lot for bikes.
I thought they used that upper parking lot for the massive buses from Yamaha/Arctic Cat/Sukuzi/Polaris...?

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
does any body know of a good campground near windrock. trying to stay away from the windrock and windrock park campgrounds. 1 of them has a no alcohol rule which definately wont work for me and the other one the owners are jerks from what i hear. any help would be great

does any body know of a good campground near windrock. trying to stay away from the windrock and windrock park campgrounds. 1 of them has a no alcohol rule which definately wont work for me and the other one the owners are jerks from what i hear. any help would be great

Just stay at windrock park (newer and cleaner) and dont worry about the booze rule. Its strictly a formality......:pilot:

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
Just stay at windrock park (newer and cleaner) and dont worry about the booze rule. Its strictly a formality......:pilot:
thanks for the clearing up of the formality. i had never heard of a campground with a no alcohol rule. is it possible to camp without drinkng? are those the only two that are near by windrock.

Yes those are the only 2 nearby.
Windrock park has a fire ring at each primitive campsite and an overflow field which is even more private if its a slow weekend. Still close to the bathhouse.
If you want to be baller you can rent 1 of 10 cabins unless they're sold out already for that weekend.

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
i think i will just sta at windrock park then. do the rv sites all have fire rings? i will be ballin in my camper.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Update:

Plans are getting finalized. Since the festival is going to be a part of the ATV jamboree, we are going to limit the number of shuttle vehicles. Which means there won't be any personal shuttling. This is a requirement from Coal Creek and one I think we can live with. We will provide two shuttle vehicles capable of moving 30 people every 20 minutes or so. This will be much like any race and should work great. I think we can get the Isuzu again this year. All we ask is that you donate a couple bucks to cover fuel costs in the shuttle trucks. However I think by Sunday afternoon the atv traffic will have died down and we can start personal shuttling again.

Second, if you need to stay in a campground or hotel, please make your reservation ASAP. The atvers will start to fill up the available spots soon.

Also, just a reminder we have some incredible XC trails. So please invite your buddys who aren't DHers to come along. I will provide GPS coordinates if needed to the trails.

TURBOLVR

Chimp
Feb 9, 2006
Rumor has it that Rockwinder mustache rides will be available all weekend if for those of you with funbags and a cameltoe receiver hitch.

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
windock park is all booked on the electric sites. they still have some primitave sites avalable. i looked into indian creek but they have no bathhouse. has anyone had any experience with heltons campground? i would like some input before i book there. any input would be great.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Try Frozen Head State Park or Windrock Campground (not Windrock Park).

The second will probably be a truck and trailer.

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
Heltons is the place off of Joel Rd. That would be a good location. 10 minutes to gravel parking lot. 2 minutes to Captain Toms.

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
ok i got the camping thing settled. frozen head it is. the are first come first serve except on the group sites so i reserved the last group site good for up to 15people for the 5 of us from chicago.
i also wanna make sure we will be able to get on the shuttles that will be there. as long as we pay the park fee and pay the shuttlers are we good to go?
thanks for answering all my questions
jerry

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
i also wanna make sure we will be able to get on the shuttles that will be there. as long as we pay the park fee and pay the shuttlers are we good to go?
Yes.

The spots aren't reserved, but there we always be room. Just load your bike as soon as you get down and you'll be fine. By noon the numbers going back up will be thin enough because of mechanicals, attrition, and injuries.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I'll second that statement. There's a 30-40% attrition rate by lunch every time. And 888fall, counsel every last rider coming with you to bring an extra set of brake pads. It's useless to come down without an extra set of brake pads here....seriously. No sense wasting that drive sitting in the parking lot. I even had the luxury of an old set of brakes that I kept with me at one point in time and sold one to a kid there one weekend I felt so bad for him.

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
thanks for the advice. i was there last year and realize the importance of pads and extra parts. i broke a brake line last year and was thankful i had my other bike to borrow a brake from. i bring my ride bike and my spare/parts bike. i will be sure to relay the message to them also.

888fall

Chimp
Sep 16, 2009
chicago
just when you guys thought i was out of questions BAM here come some more. will we be able to shuttle ourselves or with someone else on friday with the ohv event going on if we get there early enough from chicago? and whats up with bigfoot? is it rideable?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Friday you should be able to shuttle yourself. Just obey the speed limits and all should be good.

Don't know about Bigfoot. I have been doing so much racing that I have no idea what shape it is in.

roperacer

Monkey
Aug 17, 2009
chattanooga tn
my truck will be there for free shuttles, it can hold 6-12 bikesand like 8 people,,,ill prolly be in that 40%( i dont have xtra brake pads),,in fact the set i have on, have like 8 windrock days on them already! and the dj,s at big foot are in good shape but the 4x is kinda grown up but still rideable,its fun but everything there u can overshoot