Quantcast

2010 boxxer end stroke rebound knob almost impossible to turn. How do I open this up?

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
dh.jpg

I went to change my oil this weekend and found I could not turn my end stroke rebound knob in the process (red dial)
The beginning stroke rebound (grey dial) appears to function as normal.

I've pulled the assembly out and found that by inserting a hex wrench into the slot the red dial normally rotates I can turn the silver/gold colored inner shaft. Doing so opens/closes the ports at the top of this assembly (the holes drilled in the black aluminum piece at the top.

I suspect there's gunk/grime in there which is the issue and would like to clean it out but for the life of me I can't get it open. Has anybody done this? Any tricks? Are both ends right-hand threaded?

Edit: This torch is looking pretty right now.

Last edited:

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
Just got to top cap off (I swear I have been fooling with this thing for a while before posting). A little bit of heat did the trick. The inner shaft instantly became easier to turn and I was able to see some dirt inside this unit.

To prevent from maring the ends I wrapped the tube in masking tape, then clamped the top end in a tooling vise after heating the black part for a while.

Here's a pic of the internal assembly for those that might be interested. If you turn the grey dial (the beginning stroke rebound) you are rotating something inside of the internal assembly. If you turn the red dial (the end stroke rebound) you are rotating this entire internal assembly:
guts.jpg

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Be particularly careful with torques when working with that part, the walls are extremely thin and overtorquing anything WILL break stuff. You've evidently worked out the one part that is a reverse thread because you got the piston off.