Quantcast

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Are you sure on the dates? I heard it was July 23-24. but I'd be stoked if it wasn't! (July 23-24 is the same date as Canadian national champs and the weekend of crankworx and the Canadian Open.)

-KT

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
How to make USA DH racing look legitimate, National champs requirements:

1. Mountain no one outside the South East has heard of, check
2. Short course, check
3. Flat mountain with less than 900 vert, check
4. Slow, twisty course, check (disclaimer: as far as the ones I could find video/pics of, might change)
5. Located as far as possible from all of the top 20 riders in the country, check

GO AMERICA!

(This isn't supposed to be anti-East Coast, just anti USAC)

Last edited:

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
well at least it is after world champs.... so will have no bearing on who makes the national team :thumb:

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
How to make USA DH racing look legitimate, National champs requirements:
4. Slow, twisty course, check (disclaimer: as far as the ones I could find video/pics of, might change)
The courses should both be brand new (AM and PRO) and of a way higher quality that any of the ones that have been videoed in the past

Last edited:

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
The courses should both be brand new (AM and PRO) and of a way higher quality that any of the ones that have been videoed in the past
Meh, I'm excited to race there, it sounds fun and the nice thing with a new course is that it's a level playing field. The fact that it's so late in the year is a little strange, but better to be late than have big conflicts (per the information I had)

+ Rep for Nickelodeon GUTS reference in your signature.

-KT

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Disclaimer: Not trolling, just trying to get Americans to realize how shafted they are getting

French National course:

Swiss National course:

U.S. National course?
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/85513/

HOW in the world do you expect Americans to compete on the WC when that is their idea of technical?

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
HOW in the world do you expect Americans to compete on the WC when that is their idea of technical?
Quit being a fag...it's going to be a different course. You have no idea the history/drama behind the course you posted the video of nor the skill of the trail builders for the new course.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
As much of a fag as he might be (read: is), it's basically what's on the mind of everyone not from the immediate area. But as someone said, at least it wont be critical for points for the WC's or Champs at that point in the season.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Sol Vista, 1000 vertical feet of beach sand... Beech Mountain, 830 vertical feet (of beach sand, which is assumed based on the name). American gravity racing is really stepping it up.

Regardless, I will be there. 12 hours is easier than 30+. I'm a fan of keeping Nationals and Worlds on the east coast.:thumb:

Edit: Date is dumb.

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
LAND OF OZ!
As long as the track starts at the abadoned Wizard of OZ theme park at the top of the mountain it's going to be a sick race.

I used to shred the roads around there on my rollerblades.

All of the above statements are true.

It's also true that Beech has awesome terrain. And the sickest access road this side of the Pyrenees. 2.5" hookworm territory, for sure.

Um, also, Nationals was in September for a solid 15 years until it was moved to align with the national championships in other countries, as mandated by the UCI. It's our country, and it's our race.

Last edited:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Read it again. No it's not.
Well its pretty funny that in the first 10min of the post on VitalMTB it had mentioned that the past 2 years the Collegiate Nat's were held at Northstar and they were moving it to Beech Mtn...Now its not saying anything about it.

I didn't think I was that drunk yet..:Alcoholic:

Last edited:

WillCollins

Chimp
Jun 7, 2009
i hate to be so pessimistic, but what the **** is USAC thinking? this makes me mad on so many levels; none of which have to do with the terrain...
some may look at the separation from the endurance events as a potentially positive step, but the date and location (in respect to interbike) can't help but leave me thinking USAC is making a valiant effort to squash US gravity racing where it stands.

downhill is dead.
long live downhill.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
It's our country, and it's our race.
And American DH racing is in an embarrassing state. Sorry to be so pessimistic. I used to love racing when I first started riding, until I had the privilege to ride some real trails and realized that spending $50 to get a few runs down short sanitized trails with no payout is a waste of money. Maybe the abysmal state of west coast racing and the f-ing unreal mind-blowing European courses just has me disillusioned. I feel like we (America) can do a lot better with the pretty amazing terrain and variety we have. What happened to courses like the 2001 (i think?) Vail WC course?

P.S. I'm drunk and reading Journal of Applied physics papers for my qualifying exam while sitting in the tundra of Chicago weather at the moment, maybe its making me angry and depressed.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
i hate to be so pessimistic, but what the **** is USAC thinking? this makes me mad on so many levels; none of which have to do with the terrain...
some may look at the separation from the endurance events as a potentially positive step, but the date and location (in respect to interbike) can't help but leave me thinking USAC is making a valiant effort to squash US gravity racing where it stands.

downhill is dead.
long live downhill.
Now, I don't know much about this, but it seems to me like they probably awarded the event to the only venue that was willing to waste tens of thousands of dollars on a 4x track...

There is blame to be laid, and it's squarely on the shoulders of those nefarious poptarts at the 4x Alliance.
USAC is just a patsy here. Even if they did care about the gravity racing they are powerless to do anything positive with it due to their governance structure and funding sources.
The race is an empty gesture, but at least beer is cheap down there, the track builders will give a damn and the ladies will have sexy accents.

And it's my birthday.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
And American DH racing is in an embarrassing state. Sorry to be so pessimistic. I used to love racing when I first started riding, until I had the privilege to ride some real trails and realized that spending $50 to get a few runs down short sanitized trails with no payout is a waste of money. Maybe the abysmal state of west coast racing and the f-ing unreal mind-blowing European courses just has me disillusioned. I feel like we (America) can do a lot better with the pretty amazing terrain and variety we have. What happened to courses like the 2001 (i think?) Vail WC course?
www.NWcup.com

-KT