Quantcast

2011 session

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
source for specs/changes? i've been looking at the session - my LBS says availability is sept but had no other info.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
As far as I know....
Beefed up tube set, carbon down tube protection thingy, fork bumber things in the headtube. med and large frame have same seat mast and stand over just different TT length.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
paint looks hot. i like the pseudo raw finish. i wonder if its a paint like the 2009 Sessrion FR

edit: i knew it was a matter of time before they put one of those carbon downtube protectors on

Last edited:

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Do my eyes see they have adjustable geometry settings like found on the scratch bikes for changing the head angle?

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
the new downtube looks rad, I don't know if I like how the top tube looks now... I liked the curvy design before. How much weight did it gain?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
The tubing looks IDENTICAL to me actually...Ive seen one in the flesh, and it looked definitely the same.

I think the writing/paint jobs makes it look different but I'd like to know for sure.

I do like to incorporated bumpers and the downtube protector...neat little touch.I also would like to see the adjustable geo setting like Trekrules does but my eyes dont...;-)

I sure hope to see the price coming down since it seems to be the same bike they've been producing for a few years now...cause Im planing on my buying a new one ;-)

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
man everyone thinks these bikes are the second coming of christ...

they are damn fast and nice...but they just dont do it for me...maybe i am sickened by the fact that trek ran me for about 6 years of bike shop employment when i was younger.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
downhill frames should not need armor.
Isnt that a bit like saying DOWNHILL RIDERS SHOULD NOT NEED ARMOR ?

Ive been rocking mine for 2 years...hundreds of days in Whistler, hundreds in the valley,severals crashes on it and still no dent..from my point of view, its just some added protection as I dont even think the frame needs it more than any other frames on the market

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Looks like those tubes are growing- here is one of the 2012 prototypes (notice the downtube guard):

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
as of 5 min ago, all new trek full suspension bikes are slated for a september initial availability

now, that is what my system shows me

but this is the bike industry, so ill wager that we might see one of the new model year bikes around that time, but then again, this is the bike industry

pinkgoat

Chimp
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
I really dont like this, shame really as I'm a huge fan of the current model.

Paint is ugly.

New tube profile is ugly - Especially when compared to the back end, as well as previous front end.

Downtube protection is ugly - Why wasn't this accounted for in the redesign, rather than an add-on afterwards?

..And it continues to come with sub-par Bontrager parts on a 9K (AUS) flagship bike..

the front triangle looks different to me. aside from the downtube protector and fork bumpers, the headtube junction looks beefed up.

i wonder what the weight will be.

the bontrager house brand parts aren't half bad. they're durable enough and get the job done. but i agree that for the price, i would expect high-quality brand parts on it.

i'm riding a 2009 Session so i am biased....maybe i'll spring for this one. I've grown quite fond of how it rides.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Glad to hear that the tubes have been beefed up, I'm a fan of most things about the current one but the talk about papier-mache tubes put me off it. I'm more than happy with my 09 Sunday at the moment, but if that ever dies this would be on my short list now.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I don't think those tubes look beefed up... (I have a session FR). They look about the same.

The downtube protector and fork bumpers look great though. I made a frame protector out of cut up plumbing hose, which works real well, but that looks much cleaner, and probably works better.

As far as DH bikes not needing armor, thats stupid. By that logic, MX bikes shouldn't have armor either, all the parts should just be 3 inch thick steel, and bikes should weigh 3 tons. Or, they can make parts way lighter, put plastic armor around it, and loose a couple hundred pounds. Cars shouldn't have crumple zones either, they should just be stronger. I'd like to see this armor on MORE bikes.

from a chronic bike changer who buys a new bike every year, I'll be on my current session until it breaks, and then I'll buy a new one. Never ridden a bike that feels so natural and balanced, and the suspension actuation aint half bad either.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
I don't think those tubes look beefed up... (I have a session FR). They look about the same.
Dunno, just going on what some guy above said, but I assume he meant tube wall thickness, which is pretty tricky to determine from a picture.

I agree with the armour being a good thing though, and if it offends your sensibilities I'm sure it's removable.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Dunno, just going on what some guy above said, but I assume he meant tube wall thickness, which is pretty tricky to determine from a picture.

I agree with the armour being a good thing though, and if it offends your sensibilities I'm sure it's removable.
yah. Its hard to tell from the picture/paint job. The rear triangle looks the same, and the front looks the same too IMO, but its definitely hard to tell from the pictures. I I'll wait till I hear the official word from trek before I make any judgements on wall thickness. My guess is that if there is still a 3 year warranty on the bike, it will be the same tubeset, and if they think they made the frame more durable, then it will have a longer warranty.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

prev generation...for comparison

i think the "tubing changes" are mostly due to paint scheme/optical illusion. I thought the original session was one of the cleanest bikes out there. This one looks clunky and strange. Seeing them side by side makes them look the same, just different colors....oops.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
This year trek and Gary Fisher have been sold out of a lot of models since May...not sure if its is the same for the session but stock has been an issue.
i meant about their initial releases. the Session is always sold out but i think they still have a handful left.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
from a industrial designers point of view, asthetically speaking, the straight seat tube crashes with the whole "swoppy" tubes idea, I like the previous version a lot more. It probably makes for lighter tubbing though

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Pretty keen for the downtube guard actually.

I have owned '09 and '10 Session 88s and have dented the downtubes on both. The guard is removable anyway: it bolts onto the 88, and the 8 has a clip on guard.