Quantcast

2011 Trek Scratch+Remedy

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I think there are already some photos of the new Session doing the rounds. I like the looks of the new Scratch but thats a bike that lives in a world that I want to live in but don't the trails near me are either 120-140mm bike territory or some full on DH stuff. Not much of the pedal-to-the-top-to-rally-down kinda stuff that this bike seems set on destroying.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
The compression ratio does not require the tuning used by the DRCV. I asked Trek why they didn't! The idea is that these bikes are intended to take bigger hits and do not need the same bump compliance that the smaller travel bikes need. Also the Air series isn't as popular as the coil sprung versions. The Scratch is intended more for freeride than Allmtn or trail use.

Sounds like a cop out to me.
Given what the DRCV shock does I think its debatable that the scratch could benefit most from it out of all the trek bikes.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I will say firsthand the DRVC on the Remedy is not all it's cracked up to be. Mine is coming off in a few weeks once my new shock comes in. No mid stroke and blows straight through the travel. Just as bad as the large Can Shock on the first Remedies. The Remedy could benefit from a different shock, for both XC and DH. There is just no happy medium when setting it up for both styles of riding. Other than that the Remedy kicks Ass!!!! Super fun bike to do it all on. The Scratch was just way too much for the weekend warrior bike I was looking for. I have almost had mine now for 6 months and is almost time to do my review on it with all the options I have tried on it.

Cecil

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
i felt the DRVC shock blows through the travel pretty bad too on the GF Rumblefish.
That's a bummer.. I was hoping that someone this could be a good evolution for the air shock. I guess for now running w/o small bump compliance will do.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I will say firsthand the DRVC on the Remedy is not all it's cracked up to be. Mine is coming off in a few weeks once my new shock comes in. No mid stroke and blows straight through the travel. Just as bad as the large Can Shock on the first Remedies. The Remedy could benefit from a different shock, for both XC and DH. There is just no happy medium when setting it up for both styles of riding. Other than that the Remedy kicks Ass!!!! Super fun bike to do it all on. The Scratch was just way too much for the weekend warrior bike I was looking for. I have almost had mine now for 6 months and is almost time to do my review on it with all the options I have tried on it.

Cecil
I find the same problems with mine- shock is not too bad for XC, but not ideal for aggressive stuff. Are you going to be making new hardware for the new shock?

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
Looks like last years bike to me?

I'd rather have a Stumpy Evo or Enduro.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I find the same problems with mine- shock is not too bad for XC, but not ideal for aggressive stuff. Are you going to be making new hardware for the new shock?
Yes and am working with a qoute on qoute shock company to put together a better after market option for the Remedy. More to come in a few weeks.

Cecil

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I don't really understand what DRCV does. How I understand it is that by opening the second chamber, it's reducing pressure mid-stroke, making the wheel rate less progressive and thus blowing through travel - doesn't really make sense to me. Am I missing something?

(I'm looking at trail bikes right now, and Remedy/DRCV seems like a top option.)

MattPatt

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
A, A
I don't really understand what DRCV does. How I understand it is that by opening the second chamber, it's reducing pressure mid-stroke, making the wheel rate less progressive and thus blowing through travel - doesn't really make sense to me. Am I missing something?

(I'm looking at trail bikes right now, and Remedy/DRCV seems like a top option.)
Trek's suspension guru Jose Gonzalez outlines the rationale for DRCV here in the NSMB.com article: http://www.nsmb.com/3357-the-new-trekfox-drcv-shock/

I've been riding a Scratch for almost a year now and love mine and routinely ride XC on it, I've raced it in sport class and podiumed, it went with me to Sea Otter this year and got me a silver in DS and DH in Cat 1. I take it to Whistler and ride the park all the time (it also was good for 3rd in the Crankworx Candian Open Enduro race).

I have mine setup with an air fork and a coil rear. I made a few weight saving mods, like lighter wheels (ZTR Flow Notubes) and Gravity Light cranks with Twenty6 flat pedals. Right now she's running around 32lb.

I also got rid of the front derr in favor of a 32T single ring in the front with a Gamut chainguide. I can climb all day with the 12-34 casette and I don't have to deal with as much noise or chains dropping.

I'll probably be getting the 2011 tuned RP23 sometime in the near future as it feels as damn near close to coil as you could want and has some other benefits like a pro-pedal switch and the ability to alter the spring rate easily for different trails.

Overall I'm thrilled with the bike and as much as I would like to own a Remedy and Fuel too, I don't need 'em. I can do it all on this bike and at the same time have way more fun on the way down, which at the end of the day is the thing I enjoy most about mountain biking!

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Trek's suspension guru Jose Gonzalez outlines the rationale for DRCV here in the NSMB.com article: http://www.nsmb.com/3357-the-new-trekfox-drcv-shock/
Cheers for the link, great find, but I still don't get it. From what he's saying it sounds like DRCV should be more progressive, but I'm not sure how that would work by adding shock volume half way through the stroke. He doesn't really explain it very well at all... Or maybe I'm thick.