Quantcast

2012 East Coast Downhill schedule

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Two east coast Grand Prix of MTBs for you guys:

1) April 28-29 Port Angeles, WA (NW Cup)
2) June 16-17 Sugarbush Resort, in Warren, VT
3) July 7-8 Highland Bike Park, in Northfield, NH

4) August 4-5 Stevens Pass, WA (NW Cup

http://www.rootsandrain.com/series238/2012-grand-prix-of-mtb/
If Grand Prix of MTB and the Pro GRT are supposed to showcase the top talent in the U.S. and create a festive race atmosphere, I am surprised with the conflicting dates with the Pro GRT # 4 and the Sugarbush Grand Prix. Same date and only a few hours apart.
Lets try to work together in 2013 to avoid this.

Last edited:

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
GES # 1 venue we still need a few more days until we can confirm the venue. We are working with 3 different venues trying to come up with the best for our series and riders. We will announce the venue shortly. Thankyou for your patience!

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
There will be changes to the course from last season for the Gravity East Finals at 7 Springs. There are lots of exciting things that will be happening that weekend - stayed tuned!

Gravity East

Monkey
Apr 22, 2011
Gravity East Series Race # 1 will be held at the new Mountain Creek Bike Park June 2-3. We are very excited to be a part of the resurgence of the bike park at Mountain Creek for 2012 and to hold a race at this great venue. Stay tuned for additional details.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wow, I'm about to have a stroke inciting erection, but great news from Beech Mountain:

So, I am sure most of you are thinking, its about time, or something to that effect. We are doing some work to our main lift, which has played into our scheduling delay, and for that I do apologize. It seems that the lift will now be ready by the beginning of June. I pasted the release below including our race dates.
We do have plans of opening on a more permanent basis, and resort management seems pretty positive on summer operations. When we release more dates for summer I will let everyone know. We would like to see more trails before we open every weekend. It looks pretty promising for 2013 operations, as well as late season dates for 2012. As soon as I get more information I will post. My email is tfreeman@skibeech.com if anyone has any questions.
You should see our website live and all information regarding nationals posted on April 16.
Thanks, T

In September of 2011, Beech Mountain Resort Inc. was the first resort in the Southeast to host USA Cycling’s Mountain Bike Gravity National Championships. The success of the event spurred an interest in the cycling community, prompting resort management to further the progression of a lift-accessible mountain bike park. This summer, the resort plans to continue the expansion of a unique trail system with a strong focus on beginner terrain.

“We feel a beginner trail is needed to expand the terrain to offer a downhill facility for all skill levels,” says General Manager Ryan Costin. “We hope that with the construction phase this year, that will be accomplished.”

Christopher Herndon of Brevard, N.C. will return to oversee trail development and prepare the course for USA Cycling Mountain Bike Gravity Nationals Championships. The 2012 National Championship event will take place July 18-22.

Beech Mountain Resort has set additional dates for the much-anticipated Summer Mountain Bike Race Series. The events will occur on the weekends of June 16, August 18, and September 15. The two-day race weekends will offer dual slalom events on Saturday and downhill events on Sunday. The first race weekend, June 16, will serve as a qualifier for Nationals. Lift tickets will be available to non-competitors
So we can add June 16, August 18, and September 15 to the calendar. Stoke meter is pinned.

Last edited:
May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
For all those that attended the ETSU race. We are hosting a DH race at Ft. Duffield in West Point, KY (Just west of Louisville) It will be a similar style course with lots of jumps (Although slightly bigger), wall ride, some rock sections and less pedaling :) . The average time will be anywhere from 1:30 to 2:00 minutes a run. It will be a combined time of 2 runs. A shuttle will be available to the top so no walking! We would love to see a good turn out as we have done a lot of work to the trails here and are trying to revive the DH scene. This course can be ridden on a hardtail and full on DH bike but like the ETSU race a 5-6 inch travel bike is probably going to be your best bet for a winning time. There are lots of other trails to ride and some pretty big DJ's on another section of trail. The race is on Saturday May 12th and there will be an XC race on Sunday the 13th. I have attached a flier with some more info. This is NOT a USAC event so it is not a qualifier unfortunately but the good news is you save money with no need for a license and no day of fee added on at registration. PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD! We have had great support by our sponsors and want to show them their investment was worth it! View attachment 110835

william

Chimp
May 17, 2012
SnowShoe Race #1: Is anyone going to race #1, June 9-10 want to share a condo at the Stemwider? June 7-10, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, check out Monday morning, 4 bedroom, full Kitchen, non-smoking for $1,444 before tax. It will be me, my wife and 3 dogs, Pm me if interested.

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
So, with 2012 almost coming to an end with the race and event season, are there any dates for the 2013 schedule planned out yet for the entire east coast area?

russselll

Chimp
Feb 11, 2012
I hope the Gravity East, Eastern States Cup, Grand Prix of MTB, and the USAC Pro race promoters and directors are working with each other for race and event dates for 2013, which would include some races down south in your series. Maybe all four of you could get together, help each other, while helping out the racers that support the sport, with some good scheduling. Wishful thinking here, maybe all of you could have one really big race, all four promoters as one, to have a East Coast Championship race, like say, Snowshoe in the fall time, sort of an middle area, kinda of.