Quantcast

2012 Shimano questions...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Truth be told, I'm a converted Shimano fan. A season on their new shifters has me hating my Sram stuff...

I just read this article and noticed:

For 2013, Shimano has developed a new "direct-mount" rear derailleur hanger standard for its Shadow rear derailleurs. This hanger eliminates the short mounting link that contains the mounting bolt on existing Shadow and Shadow+ rear derailleurs. It is longer and angled further backward than a traditional hanger, and the frame makers I spoke to are very excited about this development for a couple of reasons. For starters, it moves the rear derailleur away from the rear axle for easier wheel installation and removal. It also stiffens the rear derailleur assembly for better shifting and less chain drops. It's user friendly, too: The new crop of derailleurs reportedly will be cross-compatible with a traditional hanger and the new direct-mount standard.
Did I read that right? A new hanger standard?

(BTW, there's lots of gear news in that article. Some we knew, some we didn't...)

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
On the shimano/sram topic, I decided to save some money and go with descendants over saints on my new build. Talk about a pain in the ass, there's actually a bolt on the crank arm that isn't anywhere in the install guide.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I cant f***ing wait until new Saint is released. Ice-Tech + 4 pistons... No fade and a huge amount of power.

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
As far as I know there is no derailleur hangar standards out there. Each frame company just seems to do their own thing. This seems like a start in the right direction. Props to shimano for innovating the age old derailleur based drive train. SRAM just seems to stick to making things carbon and shiny (in different colors).

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
From the article:

Fox has another new fork in the works—a 26-inch model with 34mm lowers that will be available with 150 and 160mm of travel (we have yet to confirm whether travel will be adjustable, or if there will be two separate versions). Fox this year unveiled a 34mm-stanchion platform for its longer-travel 29er forks and the company has apparently followed with this 26-inch version to counter complaints that the 32mm platform flexes when pushed to 150mm of travel.

Sucks that I just bought a revelation a few months ago.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
What would really be cool is if Fox can keep the axle to crown height on the 34 the same as on the current 32.
That fork is a good thing considering the standard now in trail bikes is 150mm of travel. It be really useful on bikes like the Yeti 66 where I would otherwise just get a 36 float and lower it.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
What would really be cool is if Fox can keep the axle to crown height on the 34 the same as on the current 32.
id prefer it to have a longer ATC like the 36. my current 150mm 36 Talas is a bit short for my liking but the 160mm 36 Float/Talas is a bit too long for me ( i think)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That fork is a good thing considering the standard now in trail bikes is 150mm of travel. It be really useful on bikes like the Yeti 66 where I would otherwise just get a 36 float and lower it.
Yeah, I've often wondered if my 36 Talas is a little too much fork for me. I think a 150mm, 34 Talas, w/ a 20mm thru-axle would be perfect for my trail-riding needs. a 32mm w 15mm thru-axle is useless for me...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
a 32mm w 15mm thru-axle is useless for me...
ditto

I hear that 100% the 32 is pretty good, but the 34 will be amazing for the bandit I am building up over the winter

hopefully they go with a 20mm instead of the 15mm found on the 32's. and hopefully its not all too heavy. my current 36 is a boat anchor compared to the newer versions.