Quantcast

2013 Saints up to snuff?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Was going to purchase a set for this coming year, as I havent been very stoked on my RO's (for sale) Used old saints for the last few years until the ROs. Asked a buddy at the local park and he wasnt thrilled and complained of inconsistency with symptoms that i would assume are a bleed, however, he went on to say other riders were having the same problem (and when i checked, they were) Vital complained of it in their whistler saint test, and to top all that off, I havent seen too many of them. Anybody here happy with them? Bad vibes around the east coast :confused:

...not the saints :(

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The M820's seem to have a fairly long throw like the previous M810s, and I too have seen a few inconsistencies with throw / coming to the bars. I think Shimano have dropped the ball with consistency and reliability compared to the M800 days which is a shame.

I haven't tried the RO's - curious though, what problems have you had?

I've been on '11 The Ones for a while and honestly they've been the most reliable brake I've owned (probably in line with the original M800s), super easy to bleed and never seem to need it either. I would probably buy Formula again, but it sounds like the RO's still need some bugs ironed out.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I haven't tried the RO's - curious though, what problems have you had?

I've been on '11 The Ones for a while and honestly they've been the most reliable brake I've owned (probably in line with the original M800s), super easy to bleed and never seem to need it either. I would probably buy Formula again, but it sounds like the RO's still need some bugs ironed out.
This is the first complaint I've heard about the RO's. Been doing some research on which brakes I'm to own next and it was down to the 820's and the RO's. From what I found the RO's seemed the better choice. Wonder what Demo 9 has experienced with them. Either way, I'll happily take them off his hands.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
This is the first complaint I've heard about the RO's. Been doing some research on which brakes I'm to own next and it was down to the 820's and the RO's. From what I found the RO's seemed the better choice. Wonder what Demo 9 has experienced with them. Either way, I'll happily take them off his hands.
Ive had alot of problems with my ro brakes. First one is that they just burn through pads at a very fast rate. Put them in for the windham wc. Four rear pads since them riding weekend only. 2 sets in the front with the current set almost done. The other problem is that they cant shed heat. Halfway down a run at creek or platty and the rear has lost half the power and the levers start to pull out. Because of that i have to set them farther in that id like-since they will pull out as i start to ride. Not that it matters but every rotor i use with these brakes gets charred and burnt-although i cant say that is poor for performance, i dont think my rotor needs to look like it was set on fire. Not super happy with them

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
no issues with my R0s. mammoth and northstar riding. i weigh 195 lbs. sounds like something ain't right with your set. talk to charlie at formula if you decide to give them another chance.

but in wet and gritty conditions it does seem generally accepted that the sintered formula pads wear fairly fast, so that alone might be reason for you to switch.

i've had no rotor issues w/ Ones or R0s.

samnation

Monkey
Jan 25, 2009
Somewhere in KANURDUR
Just buy Zee's if you are worried at least then you aren't into them for much.

From my Rep...

Same caliper and lever body the lever blades are different so the saint can have the reach and the rotors are different but the new saint rotors are only centerlock and it doesn't sound like you are running centerlock rotors currently (or if you are could be a contributing factor to you burning through pads)

Just a though...

PS formula brakes are over-hyped pieces of crap...

Last edited: