Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As much as EVIL(!) is the new ibis, it's funny how much better you like that BMC from the sounds of it. I don't get the evil hype.
keep in mind I'm a weird guy with weird taste in bikes, and may be pretty far outside the norm. I wanted tunability that I couldn't get from the RT3 menarche. I need a steep seat angle because the trails out here go up and down constantly. The BMC is also more of a long-legged trailbike than a true enduro speed bike, with a slightly too tall BB and slightly too steep HA, and that's perfect for the riding we do out here on the beast coast. I think there's plenty of reasons to like evil, but the bmc seems to be a better bike, at least right now. Keep in mind I have one ride on it and am still in the honeymoon phase, so who knows I may find some gripes with it in a few more miles.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I pressed the bottom bracket sideways on one to check out the frame flex. That's the extent of my experience but it was enough to tell me there needed to be no more in depth experience. ;)

I just know you're a bigger guy so that seemed odd to me.
He is comparing it to an Evil after all.

I love the looks and the suspension feel of those things, but the seat angle is slacker than the HA and they're hardly what I'd call overbuilt.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
keep in mind I'm a weird guy with weird taste in bikes, and may be pretty far outside the norm. I wanted tunability that I couldn't get from the RT3 menarche. I need a steep seat angle because the trails out here go up and down constantly. The BMC is also more of a long-legged trailbike than a true enduro speed bike, with a slightly too tall BB and slightly too steep HA, and that's perfect for the riding we do out here on the beast coast. I think there's plenty of reasons to like evil, but the bmc seems to be a better bike, at least right now. Keep in mind I have one ride on it and am still in the honeymoon phase, so who knows I may find some gripes with it in a few more miles.

Godspeed my friend

Godspeed

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
yes, the steep seat angle makes the bike comfortable to pedal without being too stretched out. for comparison I rode a friends XXL hightower LT (fuck those bikes) and the reach was comparable but I was stretched way out when pedaling.
I just wandered through Pole's website and saw they have no FS 27.5 offerings anymore. All it's either 29 or 27.5+/29. Bummer.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
yes, the steep seat angle makes the bike comfortable to pedal without being too stretched out. for comparison I rode a friends XXL hightower LT (fuck those bikes) and the reach was comparable but I was stretched way out when pedaling.
It would have to depend on the size of your foot too I'd think, mine is 76deg and with a 12.5US size shoe it seems boderline for comfortable seated pedalling.
I probably ride with my foot a bit further forward as it is a hardtail and it seems to help a bit with bump absorption and keeping the feet on the pedals.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I'm interested in a long term view of this bike. I'm an Eastcost rider as well, and this bike is on my list of Canfield doesn't update the Riot. The rear end flex on the Riot is annoying but I have the same feelings on The Following with a skippy rear. 74°-75° is the STA I prefer i can always move the seat forward if I'm going to climb all day. The Riot I need a set back post which is ok with me.

There seems to be a trend that peddly bikes dont need travel and higher BB.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I just wandered through Pole's website and saw they have no FS 27.5 offerings anymore. All it's either 29 or 27.5+/29. Bummer.
I think you can run some of their frames with 27.5 wheels, a slightly longer shock and fork... I am not fully sure about that but they are pretty responsive to inquiries on social media and/or mail so don't hesitate!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Daughter's new shred sled. Getting her some flat bars and a 100mm dropper and she'll be good to go.

Awesome! I looked at this bike really hard, but I am still not sure he'll be into biking that much so I didn't pull the trigger. I bought him the RM Vertex 24" instead, which is still a kickass bike for a 7 y.o. kid.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Semi-serious question: when/if cheap, highly explosive e-fat bikes become common place at Dicks and Walmart, will they become the modern day liquor-sicle? In some ways, its a greener liquor-sicle compared to a gas powered moped and perhaps a business opportunity for @syadasti
The people who shop at Walmart are of much higher class than those losers that get dui's...

I must ask, have you ever been to WalMart? Pfff!

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
this bike (evolink 150) is a 27.5 bike, I just happen to have 29" wheels on it because that is my preference. Offset bushings on both ends of the shock and slightly higher sag than my norm makes it ride pretty well despite the big wheels. The head angle is currently sitting at 62.5

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
20180527_071217.jpg

Finished the build with a Kogel BB and Wolftooth headset. I installed a Bikeyoke 185mm dropper also. Hadley hubs laced to a dt471 rear and 481 front. Slx cranks and xt drivetrain plus brakes. The bike rides nice. No regrets from moving away from this bike.

20170527_233509.jpg

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Finished the build with a Kogel BB and Wolftooth headset. I installed a Bikeyoke 185mm dropper also. Hadley hubs laced to a dt471 rear and 481 front. Slx cranks and xt drivetrain plus brakes. The bike rides nice. No regrets from moving away from this bike.
How do they compare? I love my original Scout and its playful yet confidence inspiring feel. I'm tempted to get the new one soon, as my gf has been eyeing off my old Scout and wants to steal it. I'd like the reach increase to match my Enderpo rig, but I'm worried the new Scouts are going to be too big and smashy with the new HA and the heavier frame. Are they still as fun to ride?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
How do they compare? I love my original Scout and its playful yet confidence inspiring feel. I'm tempted to get the new one soon, as my gf has been eyeing off my old Scout and wants to steal it. I'd like the reach increase to match my Enderpo rig, but I'm worried the new Scouts are going to be too big and smashy with the new HA and the heavier frame. Are they still as fun to ride?
Well I dropped the fork to 140mm trying to mitigate the new HA and that worked out. I have no interest in going back to 150 or even 160 like people are doing. I haven't weighed it yet but it feels like a 31-33 lb bike. Even though both Scouts are XL the new one feels roomier in the cockpit. It also steers from the hips like no bike I have ridden. It feels awesome dipping into berms HARD. My laps at the 24hr race were fast, the climbs were fast and confident. On the descents, which were filled with rock, I just smashed that 2.6" tire on a 30mm rim into everything. Literally, pick a line and stay seated and pedaling, the bike soaks it up.

I don't have alot of hours on this bike yet. All signs point to better handling and stability with minimal weight penalty. Give me a couple weeks and I hopefully can get some more rides on it.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
27.5" front wheel which fits my 26" fork even with the homemade fender (frame is 27.5"). Offset is in the mid 40 mm range if I'm not mistaken.

Cheap topguide (around $11) that did not come with the correct sized bolts for the iscg 05 tabs. Bought stainless 6 mm bolts for it. Seems ok so far.

Put the old slx rear brake back after having bite point problems with my m615

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Finally got some decent photos, so here is the most important... The Ti Slackline with 26 carbon wheels. Total weight is 11.7 kg... 25.74 lbs in Freedom (R) measures. Rides like a demon. Long term test to come.

Stanton Final.jpg

LAP

Chimp
Mar 5, 2016
Here's my humble bicyclette. Most components came from a Spitfire except the front and back coiled bongers. It gets the job done pretty decently.
IMG_1889.JPG

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
So I finally got the last parts and got the new wee trail beastie built last night.
Full build spec is;
Kona Honzo Titanium Large
2019 Pike Debonair
Hope Pro4's in red laced to Roam30..... NOT Sram rims but the Roam rims designed by the guy who makes the Zerode's (30mm int/35 external carbon)
Sapim spokes and Brass nipples (I like a strong wheel)
TCS tubeless valves in red
Maxxis Minion DHF 29x2.5 3c Maxxterra EXO TR
Maxxis Agressor 29x2.5 EXO TR
usual Stans....
Wolftooth Dropper lever
the new KS Lev Carbon 31.6/125mm
SDG Duster Ti "Chepi"
Racerace SixxC carbon cranks 170mm cinch
Raceface 32t (if only Absoluteblack weren't fixated on oval I'd have gone with that instead!)
KMC DLC 11spd chain in black/red
XTR Ti cassette 11-40
XT M8000 rear derailer
XTR shifter
Jagwire super polished cables/Shimano SP41 outer's for gears and dropper
Anvl mandrel 35mm/780 carbon bars
Anvl Swage stem 50mm red
Niner grips
Wolftooth headset
Wheels MFG angular contact BB
Drink bottle and cable router bolts all replaced with some Ti one's I had kicking around.

Still has the Kona seat QR on but I'll probably replace that next week.

*EDIT* sorry forgot to add the brakes!
XT M8020 Trail brakes, the new 4 pot stoppers.
Ice tech 203mm front rotor & 180mm Ice tech rear

DSCF1817.JPG
DSCF1820.JPG
DSCF1815.JPG
DSCF1771.JPG

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Damn. I don't think I'll ever ride a handrail again, but that Kona and Stanton are great looking bikes.

Sweet baby Ray's. Time to start spending moar moneyz. Not sure what parts I'll end up with on this, but I know it'll have purple Hope hubs.

I hope this shreds as hard as my previous Spitfires.

FYI. Jenson has two of these mediums left. I got it for $1550ish shipped to my door. USD is $1200ish?