Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Cross post for toshi
Here she is, I'm beyond stoked to get a ride on this thing. Still waiting on a 500lb spring but the 550 will have to do for now.

I really thought my Hightower would be a big wheeled version of the Nomad 3, but I ended up being highly disappointed with it in almost all aspects.
I'm excited to ride a bike that actually fits my geometry needs.

View attachment 126345

Do they make a child carrying version?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Here she is, I'm beyond stoked to get a ride on this thing. Still waiting on a 500lb spring but the 550 will have to do for now.

I really thought my Hightower would be a big wheeled version of the Nomad 3, but I ended up being highly disappointed with it in almost all aspects.

View attachment 126345
What didn't you like about the Hightower? Looking forward to reading your thoughts about the Pole...

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
What didn't you like about the Hightower? Looking forward to reading your thoughts about the Pole...
When I first got it I liked it a lot. The infatuation faded hard though.
Slack seat angle, steep head angle, reach could have been longer, that stupid roadie headset with a very short head tube, small tire clearance, and those goddamn creaking links.
Basically it boils down to being perched atop the bike rather than inside it. Pointed up it wants to wheelie, pointed down steep terrain I felt like otb was imminent.
I've been through the ringer with creaking issues as well. I went so far as making a fender and using moto foam to keep the lower link cleaner. I even bought a digital tq wrench to ensure i wasn't overtorquing the bearings. Nothing was a permanent solution.
Sometimes the front wheel felt like it was going to tuck in certain terms. I attribute that to the head angle.
The Hightower is a great trail bike, but a race machine it is not.

Anyone want to buy a Hightower frame?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

View attachment 126345
I'm also intrigued and waiting for a non-Paul-Aston review of the Pole.

As a side note, you could probably place three baby seats in that top tube...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

View attachment 126345
we might have to meet for a ride finally sometime this fall so i can check this out. looks rad.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Slack seat angle, steep head angle, reach could have been longer, that stupid roadie headset with a very short head tube, small tire clearance, and those goddamn creaking links.
Basically it boils down to being perched atop the bike rather than inside it. Pointed up it wants to wheelie, pointed down steep terrain I felt like otb was imminent.
I've been through the ringer with creaking issues as well. I went so far as making a fender and using moto foam to keep the lower link cleaner. I even bought a digital tq wrench to ensure i wasn't overtorquing the bearings. Nothing was a permanent solution.
Sometimes the front wheel felt like it was going to tuck in certain terms. I attribute that to the head angle.

This was exactly how I felt on an SB6 when I rode it the other day. I literally said to @jackalope that I felt "on" the bike rather than "in" it. The thing was super light and climbed pretty well. Fine for trail biking but compared to my megatrail it was a let down when I wanted to push it. Def post your thoughts on the pole--that's a neat bike that was not on my radar.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Got a screaming deal on this thing complete back in June (the boy did not come with the bike, had him already). This was just after I got it. Seatpost and seat are now a reverb/wtb. Gonna swap the cranks for something normal. It is a complete blast to ride--can't wait for shitty winter to get here so I can slide around in the mud for 3 months. Anyone want a chromag stylus?

IMG_4716.jpg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

Sounds like an Ibis.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Got a screaming deal on this thing complete back in June (the boy did not come with the bike, had him already). This was just after I got it. Seatpost and seat are now a reverb/wtb. Gonna swap the cranks for something normal. It is a complete blast to ride--can't wait for shitty winter to get here so I can slide around in the mud for 3 months. Anyone want a chromag stylus?

View attachment 126350
Oh hell yeah. What serial number? My first one was #64, just acquired #137.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Oh hell yeah. What serial number? My first one was #64, just acquired #137.
I actually think it is #063 but will double check. Maybe someday I can join what must be a very exclusive multiple BTR owners club... I know it makes no sense but I think I would like a Pinner despite it makes even less sense than the Megatrail for where I ride most.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I actually think it is #063 but will double check. Maybe someday I can join what must be a very exclusive multiple BTR owners club... I know it makes no sense but I think I would like a Pinner despite it makes even less sense than the Megatrail for where I ride most.
The Pinner looks fun as hell. It doesn't make "sense" for me either, slotted between my Ranger and G16, but whatever. Still kinda want.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Did they restart the serial numbers when they made the second gen frames or have they really only sold a couple hundred ranger frames? I'm just trying to figure out how superior I should feel to all the other fucks on non-dirt-rare steel hardtails... :dirol:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Did they restart the serial numbers when they made the second gen frames or have they really only sold a couple hundred ranger frames? I'm just trying to figure out how superior I should feel to all the other fucks on non-dirt-rare steel hardtails... :dirol:
Nope, and the serial numbers are for all their bikes combined, not just Rangers. They've made about 150 total at this point.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Careful. If they start to get called "bespoke" they go from being rare to being for douche-dentists.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Careful. If they start to get called "bespoke" they go from being rare to being for douche-dentists.
A valid concern. Thankfully, several pounds of steel and a total lack of rear suspension, wheel embigenment, tire size shenanigans and carbon will prevent the absorption of BTR and its patons by the ADA.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA

As a side note, you could probably place three baby seats in that top tube...
First ride and I'm over sprung on the rear shock. This bike hauls seriousl ass. Yes it bobs when pedaling but the tradeoffs are much better suspension action and traction when pedaling.

Does it manual easy? No, but you just yank harder.

It does however rail turns and straight lines through rocks it just mows everything down. Line choice no longer matters.

Here's the real kicker. It climbs great, i don't mean pedaling performance, I'm talking rider position here. The riding position is very upright and relaxed. I feel like my seat can be lower than normal without much loss of efficiency. Also you don't need to install your dropper backwards and only ride 2x a year to protect your knees.

I think that this is the bike I've been waiting for. Don't get me wrong I wish it was crabonz but ultimately suspension performance and geometry trump everything else.

I'm running a 50mm stem on a "large" and it doesn't even feel that big. Oddly enough the frame is marked xl (I'm not sure what is going on there but I don't care). I'm 100 percent sold on this geometry.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
it´s too fuckin long and has un fun wheels.
Kind of like a disability aid to allow bike riders with zero skill or flamboyance to get up or down sections of trail a good rider might put some thought into. Add an electric motor and you'd have the ultimate tool for the job.

- Gary

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
it´s too fuckin long and has un fun wheels.
Kind of like a disability aid to allow bike riders with zero skill or flamboyance to get up or down sections of trail a good rider might put some thought into. Add an electric motor and you'd have the ultimate tool for the job.

- Gary
To each his own. I'm tall and strong enough to throw a big bike with big wheels around. When I ride my unrideabru nanowheel nomad I have a blast but the riding position isn't as comfortable.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
New thing that does boing boing installed last night. It might need a moar aggressive bottom out bumper as the frame is moar linear than ideal for a coil shock. I've tried to alleviate that with an offset bushing a little, we'll see soon. Shake down ride this afternoon!