Quantcast

2018 Very Respectful World Cup #1: Lošinj

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well I still have a visceral dislike of the city section, but that doesn't look as awful as the helmet cams made it look. Rock walls still look like they add an element of danger thats stupid rather than fun, but it definitely isn't a bike park, and theres gonna be good racing on it rain or shine.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I was hoping for a new Joey Schusler this Season. Isn't Angel Suarez getting a bit old for the gig now? :P

Strange track for sure but I'm sure it'll entertain one way or another.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Didn't find either joey annoying. Just a bit young and pointless. Most boy band members are though.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Well I still have a visceral dislike of the city section, but that doesn't look as awful as the helmet cams made it look. Rock walls still look like they add an element of danger thats stupid rather than fun, but it definitely isn't a bike park, and theres gonna be good racing on it rain or shine.

It probably will be entertaining *, but compared to what a real track would offer - meh.
I still say it is a disgrace as a WC race track.
However, I do think it would make a good Enduro stage.

* Will probably spur the sale of cush-core.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
According to Richie Rude’s Instagram stories, he is coming... and bringing a yeti dh bike... so that should be fun... would be cool to see more Enduro guys try their hand at this...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Wow, did that new Yeti DH bike come out of nowhere? I hadn't heard anything about them getting back into DH. Any word about it on the internet? I love everything about it except the name. That just doesn't work.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
would be cool to see more Enduro guys try their hand at this...
Wasn't Sam struggling to break the top 30 when he called it a day and went out and immediately started winning EWS.

Hell, Marcelo got what, 2nd or 3rd at his first EWS? And he just barely squeaked into the top 10 last year, mostly because he didn't have to contend with the torrential downpour during the first race because he had a poor qualifier if I remember correctly.

I don't think the DH WC is suddenly going to be a lot cooler because there are an influx of people struggling to break the top 80.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Would love to see Rude Race WC DH again. I could see him in the top 10. Wonder how he would have the UCI points that he would need to be eligible? I would Bet Rude would be one of maybe 3 EWS guys who would make the top 60 cutoff to qualify for a world cup DH Final.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wasn't Sam struggling to break the top 30 when he called it a day and went out and immediately started winning EWS.

Hell, Marcelo got what, 2nd or 3rd at his first EWS? And he just barely squeaked into the top 10 last year, mostly because he didn't have to contend with the torrential downpour during the first race because he had a poor qualifier if I remember correctly.

I don't think the DH WC is suddenly going to be a lot cooler because there are an influx of people struggling to break the top 80.
I have no idea what you're talking about. ENDURO! is the absolute pinnacle of mountain bike performance.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I would Bet Rude would be one of maybe 3 EWS guys who would make the top 60 cutoff to qualify for a world cup DH Final.
I can think of 4 Scottish EWS guys who used to make the top 80 in WC regularly.

But I do agree with William
It's cool to see folk you speak to when you see them qualify for a WC. but that's about it.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
I have no idea what you're talking about. ENDURO! is the absolute pinnacle of mountain bike performance.
To address both you and William... I wasn’t meaning EWS racers would make WC DH cooler... in my mind WC DH is THE pinnacle of mtn biking... full stop. I was more meaning it would be cool to see more crossover between the two disciplines. So would be neat to see guys like Graves, Rude, etc. jump on the big bikes every now and then. Just like it’s exciting when a DH guy like Ratboy does a random EWS event and puts up crazy impressive results for someone who isn’t doing the series full time.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
To address both you and William... I wasn’t meaning EWS racers would make WC DH cooler... in my mind WC DH is THE pinnacle of mtn biking... full stop. I was more meaning it would be cool to see more crossover between the two disciplines. So would be neat to see guys like Graves, Rude, etc. jump on the big bikes every now and then.
Those aren't ENDURO! guys, those are just downhillers who took a break paycheck. That was my much larger point.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Ben sniped by RedBull
:fie:
That really really sucks. They should just bring him on payroll and add his analysis to their catalog. There are zero other analysts/commentators that discuss the things he talks about like line choice and how the track “beds in” over the course of the weekend. As much fun as Claudio and Warner can be... his stuff is way more interesting... frikkin redbull’s handling of the WC is turning into the NBC of the olympics... I wish companies that take over a “good thing” would quit trying to ruin it by putting their spin on it and just pump cash into it. People were fans of the “good thing” for a reason...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
That really really sucks. They should just bring him on payroll and add his analysis to their catalog. There are zero other analysts/commentators that discuss the things he talks about like line choice and how the track “beds in” over the course of the weekend. As much fun as Claudio and Warner can be... his stuff is way more interesting... frikkin redbull’s handling of the WC is turning into the NBC of the olympics... I wish companies that take over a “good thing” would quit trying to ruin it by putting their spin on it and just pump cash into it. People were fans of the “good thing” for a reason...
agree 100%

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Except for that time he got 6th at the DH World Champs on his enduro bike.

I think there's a bit of a bias in that assessment. Firstly because literally no-one has gone from Enduro to DH (except maybe Cecile), and secondly because people forget the times the DHers tried Enduro and it didn't go so well (the whole Syndicate entered Finale last year and I think only one finished).

A good rider is a good rider regardless of whether they're running dual crowns or not. Some riders suit the shorter travel, more raw enduro stuff and others have that perfectionist style that suits races decided by milliseconds.

DH has always been the pinnacle of perfectionist riding, and will continue to be even when the lizards push it into Formula One style single line choice for 29ers with 3 metre wheelbases into moto jumps with fireworks.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018

I think there's a bit of a bias in that assessment. Firstly because literally no-one has gone from Enduro to DH (except maybe Cecile), and secondly because people forget the times the DHers tried Enduro and it didn't go so well (the whole Syndicate entered Finale last year and I think only one finished).

A good rider is a good rider regardless of whether they're running dual crowns or not. Some riders suit the shorter travel, more raw enduro stuff and others have that perfectionist style that suits races decided by milliseconds.

DH has always been the pinnacle of perfectionist riding, and will continue to be even when the lizards push it into Formula One style single line choice for 29ers with 3 metre wheelbases into moto jumps with fireworks.
Hill went to Fort Bill last year and took top 20 despite rarely riding his DH bike. According to a photog (Fraser Britton?) he rode his bike to the pits, practiced dh, went for a trail ride after that and then rode his bike home.

And that's what so great about it. People said he's washed up but then he went to fort bill and cairns and stomped on a lot of full time dh guys.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

Hill went to Fort Bill last year and took top 20 despite rarely riding his DH bike. According to a photog (Fraser Britton?) he rode his bike to the pits, practiced dh, went for a trail ride after that and then rode his bike home.

And that's what so great about it. People said he's washed up but then he went to fort bill and cairns and stomped on a lot of full time dh guys.
You know that moment when somebody says something with facts so clearly cherry picked to try and convince you 2+2=5, and you don't know whether you should respond? Then you realize it's on the internet and that you definitely shouldn't respond because they're for sure either trolling or also believe the earth is flat. Unfortunately for me, I'm easily baited.

Yeah, lets give some credit where its due. Sam Hill was one of the greatest downhillers ever, and had some impressive results over his career. So if anybody is going to successfully make a transition to an easier discipline that will still reward somebody with his particularly skills, he'd be one of them. Just like I'd expect Nico to do well (he did), Graves to do well (he did), ACC to do well (she did), I'd expect Rude to do well too, because he was pretty fucking good at DH when he used to ride it too. He did.

Here's Sam Hills results without the cherry picking though. Because lets be honest: Cairns was was a 3 minute and 30 second enduro trail. He rode it on an enduro bike, there was nothing particularly intense about it, it was slower speed, and he still couldn't even win it (despite being the overall EWS winner that year). Hell there was a 30 second flat sprint at the bottom.

As far as his DH race results, here they are toward the end of his career in DH WC.

2015:
#1: DNS
#2: Out with Injury
#3: Out with Injury
#4: 58th
#5: 20th
#6: 76th
#7: 68th
Worlds: 45th

2016:
#1: 29th
#2: 28th
#3: 21st
#4: DNS
#5: 38th
#6: 65th

2017:
#2: 18th
Worlds: 6th

It seems pretty dubious to claim that he's "stomping" all the full time DH'ers with those results. He had literally one good race on an enduro bike on an enduro trail that he didn't win (despite having just won the EWS overall and being the best EWS had to offer).

I don't know why were arguing about this. Downhill requires way higher levels of technique and finesse, while simultaneously requiring the rider to be extremely fit. Those skills transfer over well to enduro, hence there being a pretty easy transition for most DH'ers.

Also, Martin Maes is the only one I know of that tried his hand at DH.

He managed 78th and Fort William in 2016, and an actually impressive 22nd at Val Di Sole world champs in 2016.

Anyway, point of that incredibly long diatribe is that I'm not excited about enduro riders trying their hands at DH because they're not usually good at it, and you shouldn't be either. If I can't have fun with something, nobody else should get to.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The middle section of rocks should make for a good watch.

Also the sprint through the city only counts if you emerge from those woods unscathed. :panic:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
breaking news : bicycle rider rides bicycle to his job then rides his bicycle home.

You know that moment when somebody says something with facts so clearly cherry picked to try and convince you 2+2=5, and you don't know whether you should respond? Then you realize it's on the internet and that you definitely shouldn't respond because they're for sure either trolling or also believe the earth is flat. Unfortunately for me, I'm easily baited.

Yeah, lets give some credit where its due. Sam Hill was one of the greatest downhillers ever, and had some impressive results over his career. So if anybody is going to successfully make a transition to an easier discipline that will still reward somebody with his particularly skills, he'd be one of them. Just like I'd expect Nico to do well (he did), Graves to do well (he did), ACC to do well (she did), I'd expect Rude to do well too, because he was pretty fucking good at DH when he used to ride it too. He did.

Here's Sam Hills results without the cherry picking though. Because lets be honest: Cairns was was a 3 minute and 30 second enduro trail. He rode it on an enduro bike, there was nothing particularly intense about it, it was slower speed, and he still couldn't even win it (despite being the overall EWS winner that year). Hell there was a 30 second flat sprint at the bottom.

As far as his DH race results, here they are toward the end of his career in DH WC.

2015:
#1: DNS
#2: Out with Injury
#3: Out with Injury
#4: 58th
#5: 20th
#6: 76th
#7: 68th
Worlds: 45th

2016:
#1: 29th
#2: 28th
#3: 21st
#4: DNS
#5: 38th
#6: 65th

2017:
#2: 18th
Worlds: 6th

It seems pretty dubious to claim that he's "stomping" all the full time DH'ers with those results. He had literally one good race on an enduro bike on an enduro trail that he didn't win (despite having just won the EWS overall and being the best EWS had to offer).

I don't know why were arguing about this. Downhill requires way higher levels of technique and finesse, while simultaneously requiring the rider to be extremely fit. Those skills transfer over well to enduro, hence there being a pretty easy transition for most DH'ers.

Also, Martin Maes is the only one I know of that tried his hand at DH.

He managed 78th and Fort William in 2016, and an actually impressive 22nd at Val Di Sole world champs in 2016.

Anyway, point of that incredibly long diatribe is that I'm not excited about enduro riders trying their hands at DH because they're not usually good at it, and you shouldn't be either. If I can't have fun with something, nobody else should get to.
not one mention of flat pedals. your argument is invalid.