Quantcast

2018 Very Respectful World Cup #1: Lošinj

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah? What's the rule?

Another dumb rule: The 3min. limit for videos shot at the World Cups. We can hope for more 10min+ Vital Raw and detailled Cathro analysis like we used to get, but we won't get them anymore because of some greedy RedBull execs who wants to limit the non-RedBull-generated content, allegedly.

This is straight from the UCI bag of best tricks to piss off the fans. Bullshit fun-hating new rule is bullshit.
Don't complain to the UCI, complain to redbull. The UCI doesn't give a shit what the consumer wants, they're not selling content to us. They're selling it to redbull to do with as they will. Telling the UCI wont get anything done. Telling redbull that putting stops to shit like vital raw and cathrovision are a major bummer that makes you dislike redbull will probably get some ears.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Don't complain to the UCI, complain to redbull. The UCI doesn't give a shit what the consumer wants, they're not selling content to us. They're selling it to redbull to do with as they will. Telling the UCI wont get anything done. Telling redbull that putting stops to shit like vital raw and cathrovision are a major bummer that makes you dislike redbull will probably get some ears.
Yes, maybe my post was not clear. I know it's RebBull's call here...I just meant that limiting the video content the media can report to us is an old trick the UCI used in the past (for World Champs if I remember correctly...please correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

pizza diavola

Monkey
Dec 3, 2013
According the to rules I posted already, Bulldog still gets to go last.
4.5.033 The start order for the final is determined as follows:
1. on the basis of the reverse result of the qualifying round or seeding run (women juniors), the fastest rider starting last followed by
2. The riders protected for the final (article 4.5.031): top 5 women elite and the top 10 men elite of the final world cup standings of the previous season (as defined in art. 4.5.031) followed by
3. The riders protected for the final (article 4.5.031): Top 5 women elite and the top 10 men elite of the current world cup standings (as defined in art. 4.5.031)

If he had come second in qualifying, he would have been moved back to ~20th in the start order, but since he came first in qualifying, he still gets to be last on the start list. At least that is how I read the bolded part of point 1 above.

------------------------
Post Race Edit: Welp, I was wrong, Brook got pushed back to 19th in the start order. I guess I was not looking at the released rules, wording is different in the sethimus link below. That's just dumb.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
According to some buddies, they're watching elliot jackson race DS at sea otter right now, so I guess he's not that injured?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
According to some buddies, they're watching elliot jackson race DS at sea otter right now, so I guess he's not that injured?
He had health problems all his life so I guess it just doesn't allow him to train full time and he limits himself to select events. It is still strange since he started in full length dh races if I'm not mistaken

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
That's BS. Seems to me that fans ought to bring as many anti red bull signs as possible to the live events and get them on the feeds......

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
The more I watch this race, the more I have a visceral rage for whatever dumbfucks decided that these changes to start order would be a good idea. This shit is dumb as fucking hell.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That crash from brook looked painful. I bet his shoulder or collar bone is fucked, and maybe a concussion?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Except that he just fucking stood up and rode his bike away. He should make an appearance in the Avengers, Jesus...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Remember when we used to call Gwin "Rock Jesus"? Why'd we stop doing that?

Also, 3/5 podium was American. Norton gets 5th?!

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Great opener. Surely this has to be the final season for some of the old school like Fairclough and Gee.

Minnaar has had more than his fair share of bad luck with equipment failure.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Great opener. Surely this has to be the final season for some of the old school like Fairclough and Gee.

Minnaar has had more than his fair share of bad luck with equipment failure.
Wait, a 29er tire weighing the same amount as the older 26 inch tires he was riding got a pinch flat? Surely there is no precedence for a thin walled 29er DH tire getting a pinch flat right? Like Minnaar definitely didn't get any race killing pinch flats last year did he?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I think the new starting order rule does make a lot of sense in order to make sure the top riders who had problems in qualifying still get broadcasted.

However, the best qualifier should start last. There is no way around that. If I was to decide, the best 3 or best 5 qualifiers would start last and would be preceded by the 20 protected riders in the order they qualified.

Dec 3, 2007
Pretty decent start to the season considering all the interweb shit talking about the track. Awesome to see Luca and Dakotah on the podium. I have to say though, Luca looked like he was really fighting the bike most of his run compared to the other fast guys today. Anybody else notice that?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think the new starting order rule does make a lot of sense in order to make sure the top riders who had problems in qualifying still get broadcasted.

However, the best qualifier should start last. There is no way around that. If I was to decide, the best 3 or best 5 qualifiers would start last and would be preceded by the 20 protected riders in the order they qualified.
Agreed across the board. I thought this was cool track and a great race.
Pretty decent start to the season considering all the interweb shit talking about the track. Awesome to see Luca and Dakotah on the podium. I have to say though, Luca looked like he was really fighting the bike most of his run compared to the other fast guys today. Anybody else notice that?
agreed.