Quantcast

2024 Fire Season

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Alberta got off to head start...

I wonder how this year will fair, with some areas not getting great amounts of snow coverage?

It was eye opening how vulnerable you are in the mountains, after our campsite in Panorama was under an evacuation watch from a fire we watched light last summer. :eek:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
im hoping the water to be flowing like a motherfucker in yosemite in july....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I wonder how this year will fair, with some areas not getting great amounts of snow coverage?

It was eye opening how vulnerable you are in the mountains, after our campsite in Panorama was under an evacuation watch from a fire we watched light last summer. :eek:
Washington has already declared a drought emergency

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
We're close to normal at the shitbox in Idaho, but Montana looking dry.

Too we had a very early/warm start to spring so I think the mud season will be shorter than usual:

1713377480250.png

1713377506377.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think southern CO is already pretty dry.

Fire Capt brother in BC knows it's going to be a shitty summer again already.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

If they get above average snow, it's "excess fuel" and high fire danger. If they don't get snow it's too dry and high fire danger. If it's just right, it's high fire danger due to climate change.

Basically, any place that has forests is screwed.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think my brother said he'd worked on 4 different ones last week in his part of BC when I spoke with him yesterday.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Historically fire season has always started in May, it has been the month that nearly all type 1 interagency crews, overhead teams, and federal resources come online and are available for the season and that hasn't changed but, it is the longevity and severity of the fires that has changed mostly due to being plume dominated events.

The real metric to watch is the localized management of the forests that surround your area. If you follow your local agencies such as Forest Service and BLM and are in tune with their forest management schedules, pre-season thinning, and burning practices, it will give you a much better indicator of how your local fire season will be handled and forecasted.

Every agency and district is different and some are proactive in their prescribed fire plans and some others just let the dead and down fuels build up and wait for a lightning strike in order to get a blank check from FEMA.

Annual snow pack and rain tallies really don't have any bearing on a fire season other than the month it becomes dry enough to move the IFPA levels due to the thousand-hour fuels. It's the 100-hour fuels that are a common metric that truly is an indicator of the start of a local season. The severity of the fire season depends on the fuel loading of the area.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Historically fire season has always started in May, it has been the month that nearly all type 1 interagency crews, overhead teams, and federal resources come online and are available for the season and that hasn't changed but, it is the longevity and severity of the fires that has changed mostly due to being plume dominated events.

The real metric to watch is the localized management of the forests that surround your area. If you follow your local agencies such as Forest Service and BLM and are in tune with their forest management schedules, pre-season thinning, and burning practices, it will give you a much better indicator of how your local fire season will be handled and forecasted.

Every agency and district is different and some are proactive in their prescribed fire plans and some others just let the dead and down fuels build up and wait for a lightning strike in order to get a blank check from FEMA.

Annual snow pack and rain tallies really don't have any bearing on a fire season other than the month it becomes dry enough to move the IFPA levels due to the thousand-hour fuels. It's the 100-hour fuels that are a common metric that truly is an indicator of the start of a local season. The severity of the fire season depends on the fuel loading of the area.

Did you take the blue gummi last night? This reads like an ChatGPT answer.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I think my brother said he'd worked on 4 different ones last week in his part of BC when I spoke with him yesterday.
That entire North Eastern part of BC and into Alberta and Northwest Territories appears to be doomed. :eek:

I also just read that some spots in the Donnie Creek fire from last summer have reignited.

That fire alone burned over 2300 square miles of land.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That entire North Eastern part of BC and into Alberta and Northwest Territories appears to be doomed. :eek:

I also just read that some spots in the Donnie Creek fire from last summer have reignited.

That fire alone burned over 2300 square miles of land.

They need to do a better job raking.